Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Sous Vide cooking

it was an experiment, you neanderthals
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

I've done eggs several times. Like Jay, I've found that they are a little more underdone than they "should" be. I think for hard cooked eggs sous vide works well, because you can get them to the exact temperature you need while ensuring the yolks don't dry.

Soft cooked, I am not as sure about. Sous vide's strength is obviously an even, sustained temperature, and, to me, the perfect soft-cooked egg is not even. The white should be more done than the yolk. So with sous vide, I tend to either get whites that are not as done as I'd like, or yolks that are more done than I would like. I've thought about trying the method Drunk Tank talked about, with a quick boil first, but at that point the egg is basically done to my liking so what's the point? I think with soft cooked, the traditional method is actually better because it is not an even cooking method.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
    I've done eggs several times. Like Jay, I've found that they are a little more underdone than they "should" be. I think for hard cooked eggs sous vide works well, because you can get them to the exact temperature you need while ensuring the yolks don't dry.

Soft cooked, I am not as sure about. Sous vide's strength is obviously an even, sustained temperature, and, to me, the perfect soft-cooked egg is not even. The white should be more done than the yolk. So with sous vide, I tend to either get whites that are not as done as I'd like, or yolks that are more done than I would like. I've thought about trying the method Drunk Tank talked about, with a quick boil first, but at that point the egg is basically done to my liking so what's the point? I think with soft cooked, the traditional method is actually better because it is not an even cooking method.
    You're sort of killing your cultivated 'everyman' schtick here. JSYK.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    You're sort of killing your cultivated 'everyman' schtick here. JSYK.
    I usually use them to make egg salad sandwiches on white bread, if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
    I usually use them to make egg salad sandwiches on white bread, if that helps.
    only if it is wonder bread.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Perhaps our favorite Sunday dinner now is a boneless prime rib roast (actually, it's a Costco choice rib roast). I bought a big one awhile back and cut it into thirds, keeping them in the freezer until needed. Sunday mornings before church, having defrosted one the night before, I trim off all the cartilage/silverskin (whatever it's called). After applying a little olive oil I rub some sea salt, pepper, and add dried onion flakes, ground garlic, dried rosemary and thyme. After tossing it in the bag, I also throw in a little butter and some fresh rosemary and thyme to go along with the dried stuff. I then vacuum seal the back and put it a 134 degree tub where it sits while we're at church.

When we're ready to eat (roughly five hours later) I take it out of the bag, pat it dry, and then put it on the outside grill (I don't want to add any additional butter or oil) at high flame for roughly 90 seconds a side. Super tender, still very juicy with some great flavors. The missus is most pleased with me.

Sorry, but no pics, although it looked superb. Honest.

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    only if it is wonder bread.
    Granny Smith's monkey man.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Granny Smith's monkey man.
    Granny Sycamore's, apple man.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

sous vide+these=meal planning cheat code

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I97JQ28/

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Granny Sycamore's, apple man.
    I bet a Granny Smith would be delicious on a piece of Granny Sycamore's bread. Probably wouldn't want to sous vide it though.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post

Please explain.

Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    Please explain.
    sous vide chicken breasts. sear. roast asparagus. roast broccoli and cauliflower. put in thing. boom, week's lunch in perfectly controlled portions in about 20 mins.

sous vide chicken breasts. sear. roast asparagus. roast broccoli and cauliflower. put in thing. boom, week's lunch in perfectly controlled portions in about 20 mins.
    I'm doing a similar kind of thing. How do you reheat?

Olden_Gregster either just brings his sous vide machine into the break room.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

microwave usually, but sometimes i just eat it cold. don't like microwaved chicken flavor much.

So say you meal prep on Sunday, by Friday you are eating 5 day old leftovers? I am not big on leftovers, so the whole meal prep thing doesn't seem right to me. Do you store them in the fridge or freezer?
    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Tank View Post
    So say you meal prep on Sunday, by Friday you are eating 5 day old leftovers? I am not big on leftovers, so the whole meal prep thing doesn't seem right to me. Do you store them in the fridge or freezer?
    fridge. nbd for five days bro.

fridge. nbd for five days bro.
    What about eating the same thing for five days straight? Each successive day's meal getting a little more stale as the week goes on and on and on... and on......
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Olden_Gregster either just brings his sous vide machine into the break room.
    Actually this is what I do. I've been experimenting with different things. Last few weeks, I've done this. Sous vide a bunch of chicken breasts and put in fridge. Then I have various sauces, Korean BBQ, Thai peanut, Indian Masala, Orange chicken, etc. I take a chicken breast out of fridge and back in a bag, put some sauce in, shred it all up with my hands squeezing the bag, toss in sous bide at 145 again for a few minutes. Perfect lunch. I'm on high protein diet right now, so that's all I get for lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    What about eating the same thing for five days straight? Each successive day's meal getting a little more stale as the week goes on and on and on... and on......
    switch veggies and spices used on chicken.

Do those containers only accept food cooked via sous vide? So the tri-tip I smoked on the Traeger yesterday wouldn't work in those containers, right?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    Do those containers only accept food cooked via sous vide? So the tri-tip I smoked on the Traeger yesterday wouldn't work in those containers, right?

if you're eating brisket multiple times per week portion control is probably not for you. maybe one of these guys would work better for your brisket, hostess products and sweet tea?

if you're eating brisket multiple times per week portion control is probably not for you. maybe one of these guys would work better for your brisket, hostess products and sweet tea?

Who said anything about brisket?

That does look like a useful container, though maybe a bit small for a meal.

"I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

steak.jpg

Tenderloin at 120 for about 60 minutes finished with torch. Just about as good as I've ever cooked a steak myself.

I bought one of these gizmos last week. I got the Anova bluetooth model. I tried it out on a ribeye. I seasoned then put it in the preheated water at 126 degrees. Cooked for an hour and then seared on the grill for a few minutes. The steak had a great color throughout but was a bit tough. Where am I going wrong? Should I cook at a little lower temp if I'm going to sear on the grill?

What about chicken? Any favorite recipes?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaka View Post
    I bought one of these gizmos last week. I got the Anova bluetooth model. I tried it out on a ribeye. I seasoned then put it in the preheated water at 126 degrees. Cooked for an hour and then seared on the grill for a few minutes. The steak had a great color throughout but was a bit tough. Where am I going wrong? Should I cook at a little lower temp if I'm going to sear on the grill?

To get it a little more tender, I would actually go a few degrees up, maybe in the 129 to 134 range. The grill should be hot enough and the time on it short enough that it doesn't much impact anything except the outer crust.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaka View Post

depending on thickness, i would probably sous vide for between two and three hours at 129.5.

Also sous vide only makes meat incrementally more tender. If doesn't turn select cuts into wagyu. But cooking it at that rare of a temp for only an hour won't do much in the way of breaking down proteins. It's just getting your meat to the same temperature all the way through.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

depending on thickness, i would probably sous vide for between two and three hours at 129.5.
    Makes sense. I'll try it this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    Also sous vide only makes meat incrementally more tender. If doesn't turn select cuts into wagyu. But cooking it at that rare of a temp for only an hour won't do much in the way of breaking down proteins. It's just getting your meat to the same temperature all the way through.
    Good advice. What advice to you have for chicken?