Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sous Vide cooking

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
    Since they were $50 off (are they always $50 of?), I picked up an Anova this week and am going to break it in for Sunday dinner. I figure I should start in Sous Vide's wheelhouse, and go with steaks, but was also considering Short Ribs. Serious Eats has a ton of info on steaks, but not so much on short ribs (maybe that means I should avoid it, or that I suck at searching). Has anyone done this?
    Quote Originally Posted by kccougar View Post
    Ok, ok, I've jumped on the bandwagon. My Christmas present to myself should arrive on Tuesday. I assume I should start with steak?
    Start with some good quality steaks. I like to cook them at 134 for 1-3 hrs. Then pat dry and sear in a hot skillet. Put some salt and pepper or spade L on the steaks before cooking.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

So I need to buy a vacuum sealer in addition to the Anova circulator, correct?
    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

no, it helps but ziplock bags work
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    One is Bluetooth and one is Wi-Fi. You should buy the cheaper one, (Bluetooth), because you don't need any kind of wireless capability with this thing. I haven't used it a single time. All you need to do a spin the dial with your thumb to set the temperature and push the start button. That's it.
    It looks like the difference between the two is one is 800 watts and has bluetooth $129. The $149 version has 100 more watts and adds wifi so you can get alerts about your cooking while you are not home, like when it catches your house on fire or something.

Edit: I going to wait until Walter gives his opinion before pulling the trigger on one of these. I guess he is still sleeping off the hang over from his sled dawgs' win last night.
    Last edited by Uncle Ted; 12-03-2016 at 09:37 AM.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Start with some good quality steaks. I like to cook them at 134 for 1-3 hrs. Then pat dry and sear in a hot skillet. Put some salt and pepper or spade L on the steaks before cooking.
    i've had my best results with steak at 128.5, but i guess it depends on how down you like steak

You should buy a vacuum sealer because it will change your life. I don't know how people live without them. I seal our left over BBQ (ribs, pork, brisket, etc.) and it tastes just like fresh when we thaw and eat it weeks later.

Having owned several vacuum sealers, I highly recommend you get one that lets you manually control the vacuum and seal functions. Otherwise they sometimes seal before you have all the air out. This one has that function and it also has a quick function with extra suction:

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...F_CJ___2617611

Also, the third-party vacuum seal bags are much cheaper and they work fine. We prefer the 8-inch width.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    i've had my best results with steak at 128.5, but i guess it depends on how down you like steak
    Sure. We have tried different temps and 134 is what our gang prefers. Still pink from edge to edge, on the upper range of medium-rare.

Here is a guide:

This is a nice guide for sous vide steaks:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/f...ide-steak.html

anybody tried one of those blow torch searing attachments? i might give it a shot

anybody tried one of those blow torch searing attachments? i might give it a shot
    I have one but haven't tried it yet. (I just have a propane torch from the hardware store)

Typically I will put my cast iron skillet in the oven at 500 degrees. I take it out right before I'm ready to sear and put it on the gas stove at high. Makes a lot of smoke but works great.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Yes. It worked OK. I also tried finishing over charcoal. In the end, I think a hot cast iron pan is the simplest and best way to go.

You should buy a vacuum sealer because it will change your life. I don't know how people live without them. I seal our left over BBQ (ribs, pork, brisket, etc.) and it tastes just like fresh when we thaw and eat it weeks later
    Ditto.

I have an older model that my mom gave us several years ago. It works fine but I think I'm going to upgrade for my Christmas present.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    I have one but haven't tried it yet. (I just have a propane torch from the hardware store)

Typically I will put my cast iron skillet in the oven at 500 degrees. I take it out right before I'm ready to sear and put it on the gas stove at high. Makes a lot of smoke but works great.
    smoke and mess is the problem i'm trying to avoid for convenience. if going for best result, i'll do cast iron on the stove. but it makes too big of a mess to do regularly, at least as far as i'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    It looks like the difference between the two is one is 800 watts and has bluetooth $129. The $149 version has 100 more watts and adds wifi so you can get alerts about your cooking while you are not home, like when it catches your house on fire or something.

Edit: I going to wait until Walter gives his opinion before pulling the trigger on one of these. I guess he is still sleeping off the hang over from his sled dawgs' win last night.
    Get the cheaper one. You will never use the wireless connectivity, bluetooth or wi-fi; it's a "hands-on" device.

I use 129. 134 is too high. JL's gang sounds unsophisticated.

I have one. I use it for roasts and other irregularly shaped items. For steaks, like JL said, cast iron pan is best.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

You furnish the pictures, and Iíll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

What type of oil do you use to sear? I typically use a mix of olive oil and butter but when I sear really hot the butter burns so quickly.
    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

What type of oil do you use to sear? I typically use a mix of olive oil and butter but when I sear really hot the butter burns so quickly.
    Canola. Higher smoke temperature.

Canola. Higher smoke temperature.
    I've never tried avocado oil but it has a smoke point of 520F

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    I use 129. 134 is too high. JL's gang sounds unsophisticated.
    No doubt about it. We are terribly unsophisticated.

Get the cheaper one. You will never use the wireless connectivity, bluetooth or wi-fi; it's a "hands-on" device.
    I think I am going to need the extra 100 watts and the wifi for the extra $20 or I'll lose my Texas citizenship.

For the box or pot that you cook things in it seems a retrofitted cooler would be ideal. That would save on the heat input. The metal pot would be the worst. The heat would escape causing the thing work in overtime. Maybe I am trying to engineer the hell out of this and put that stupid thermo class I had to take to good use.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    I think I am going to need the extra 100 watts and the wifi for the extra $20 or I'll lose my Texas citizenship.

For the box or pot that you cook things in it seems a retrofitted cooler would be ideal. That would save on the heat input. The metal pot would be the worst. The heat would escape causing the thing work in overtime. Maybe I am trying to engineer the hell out of this and put that stupid thermo class I had to take to good use.
    You are overthinking it.

You are overthinking it.
    Saw this after I posted... I guess I am not the only one that thought about using a cooler: https://www.amazon.com/review/R1UT29...&store=kitchen
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

So, the first go at cooking steaks was a success, at least for me. My wife has not yet reached Sr. Lebowski-level appreciation of medium rare beef.

For my next try (aside from eggs, which I've done a couple of times), I want to try short ribs. Anyone have any experience?

So, the first go at cooking steaks was a success, at least for me. My wife has not yet reached Sr. Lebowski-level appreciation of medium rare beef.

For my next try (aside from eggs, which I've done a couple of times), I want to try short ribs. Anyone have any experience?
    What temp did you use?

Have not done short ribs.

What temp did you use?

Have not done short ribs.
    I went at 132. I wanted to stay above the 129 range that I would probably prefer, in deference to folks in the household who like their steaks a little more well done (I know, I know), so I used your 134 as a starting point. I dropped it down a couple of degrees because I was cooking filets, and thought that with the lower fat content, I should cook them a little rarer than I would a ribeye or something. The choice of filets was actually also made with my wife/kids in mind. I'll never turn a good filet down, but wouldn't have been my first choice. My wife, though, is not a fan of visible fat, so the filet is more her style.

I went at 132. I wanted to stay above the 129 range that I would probably prefer, in deference to folks in the household who like their steaks a little more well done (I know, I know), so I used your 134 as a starting point. I dropped it down a couple of degrees because I was cooking filets, and thought that with the lower fat content, I should cook them a little rarer than I would a ribeye or something. The choice of filets was actually also made with my wife/kids in mind. I'll never turn a good filet down, but wouldn't have been my first choice. My wife, though, is not a fan of visible fat, so the filet is more her style.
    We love filets.

I tried 132 on some filets and there was a difference in the texture. The wife definitely prefers 134. Don't let these folks here scare you. It is still plenty pink and tender and delicious.

I did some bone-in New Yorks this week. Didn't want to go outside and finish on the grill (lazy), so I finished them on this cast iron grill pan I bought a few years ago:

img28c.jpg

Pre-heat it as you would your outside grill until smoking hot. 15-20 seconds, rotate 90 degrees, 15-20 seconds more. Flip. Repeat. I use the Iwatani butane torch to crisp up the fat on the edges at the same time.

20 bucks at Amazon. It's Christmas time, so a easy gift idea suggestion for spouse as a stocking stuffer.

(Edit: pan is also excellent for grilling tuna.)
    Last edited by Walter Sobchak; 12-10-2016 at 12:01 PM.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

I did some bone-in New Yorks this week. Didn't want to go outside and finish on the grill (lazy), so I finished them on this cast iron grill pan I bought a few years ago:

img28c.jpg

Pre-heat it as you would your outside grill until smoking hot. 15-20 seconds, rotate 90 degrees, 15-20 seconds more. Flip. Repeat. I use the Iwatani butane torch to crisp up the fat on the edges at the same time.

20 bucks at Amazon. It's Christmas time, so a easy gift idea suggestion for spouse as a stocking stuffer.

Ordered. Thanks.

img28c.jpg

I got an enameled grill pan like this from Costco. Highly recommend it.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Ordered. Thanks.
    Forgot to mention that the Lodge 10" round cast iron fry pan (Model 8SK) fits perfectly inside the 10" square grill pan.

img65o.jpg

During the sear after I put the steaks on the 10" grill pan (and after rotation and after flipping), I set the 10" round pan on top of the steaks briefly and pushed down on the steaks for 5 seconds or so to get a uniform grill mark across the width (or length) of the steak in the grill pan beneath it. I'm compulsive like that.

You probably already have one (super handy pan for home fries or sautťing onions and mushrooms), but if not... just $16 on amazon.

(Edit: Amazon lists the product as 10.25", which I guess is technically true... it does measure 10.25" OD at the top of its tapered sides. The 10" square grill pan is about 10.5" OD at the top of its tapered sides. It works.)
    Last edited by Walter Sobchak; 12-10-2016 at 03:01 PM.

img28c.jpg

Ordered. Thanks.