Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sous Vide cooking

Default Sous Vide cooking

I love sous vide because you can take an amazing cut of meat and make it look like prison food. Eating gray meat has never felt so sophisticated.

I never knew...

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    I love sous vide because you can take an amazing cut of meat and make it look like prison food. Eating gray meat has never felt so sophisticated.
    Hush. The adults are talking.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Hush. The adults are talking.
    What's especially cool is when your food has the same texture as your vacuum seal bag.

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    I may need to get one of those.
    The machine JL referenced (and I also own):
    <https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-cooker/>

JL may have a different set up than mine, but this is what I use:

FoodSaver Vacuum Sealer
    <https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044XDA3S/>

Sous Vide Bath Container
    <https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NQB63E/>

Matching Lid
    <https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001MRVN6/>

Don't get one of those small 3-gallon tubs. Size matters if you want to do leg of lamb, roasts, etc.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

I may need to get one of those. For the last year or so I cook my steaks by letting them come to room temp then sear in my cast iron skillet (I heat it to 500 degrees in the oven)
    You would love it. They frequently go on sale for $50 off. But either way they are a great investment. I would recommend not worrying about the bluetooth vs. wifi connection. Have not used it a single time. All you need is the rotator dial on the front and the temp display. Just set the temp and go.

I have tried various methods for the post-cook sear: charcoal, torch, and cast-iron pan. The cast-iron pan is the easiest and it works great. The only problem is the smoke in the kitchen.

For compound butter I just take soften butter and whip in some herbs - thyme, garlic, rosemary - or sea salt. Caputo's here in SL has a large selection of different sea salt which are fun to experiment with.
    Need to try that. I typically go with with just coarse ground pepper and kosher salt.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

i would buy a circulator but i don't have room for one. those things are big. best way to cook a steak though and it's not close.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    What's especially cool is when your food has the same texture as your vacuum seal bag.
    Sous-vide noob. Re-visit your sear technique. Try this serious eats guide to sous vide steak.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    The machine JL referenced (and I also own):
    <https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-cooker/>

JL may have a different set up than mine, but this is what I use:

FoodSaver Vacuum Sealer
    <https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044XDA3S/>

Sous Vide Bath Container
    <https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NQB63E/>

Matching Lid
    <https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001MRVN6/>

Don't get one of those small 3-gallon tubs. Size matters if you want to do leg of lamb, roasts, etc.
    I don't have the plastic container. I have just been using a big metal pot. Only three of us at home these days so I have plenty of room. But I am interested in doing some bigger cuts (saw an interesting recipe for brisket the other day) so I may need to invest.

For the vacuum sealer, I have tried several models but I am partial to this one:

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...word=foodsaver

It has both normal and quick (more suction) settings and also has a manual feature that lets you control exactly how long you apply the vacuum and when the seal takes place.

Sous-vide noob. Re-visit your sear technique. Try this serious eats guide to sous vide steak.
    They need to stop serving sous vide steak in prison. That bone would make a deadly shiv.

Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    i would buy a circulator but i don't have room for one. those things are big. best way to cook a steak though and it's not close.
    The Anova fits in a drawer. I bought one last year during their black Friday sale. I use it once a week. It's awesome. I have the bath container and lid Walter shared, but most of the time I just use a pot.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

anova for $129 here. just ordered one.

anova for $129 here. just ordered one.
    Looks like they have a 900w model with wi fi for $169
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

I have two. I use them more than my smoker anymore. I haven't done brisket yet, but I have used it for tri-tip multiple times. One has been relegated to only reheating frozen rodents to 100 to feed the ball pythons. The wife won't let me use it for food anymore.
    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Tank View Post
    I have two. I use them more than my smoker anymore. I haven't done brisket yet, but I have used it for tri-tip multiple times. One has been relegated to only reheating frozen rodents to 100 to feed the ball pythons. The wife won't let me use it for food anymore.
    it's bagged, wgaf?

this thing is life changing. it turned some cheap ish ny strips pretty dang good, and skin on chicken thighs with a little sear turned out great. going to give scallops a try tonight.

this thing is life changing. it turned some cheap ish ny strips pretty dang good, and skin on chicken thighs with a little sear turned out great. going to give scallops a try tonight.
    Told you.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Let us know how the scallops turn out. Been wanting to give that a try.

Mine just arrived. Haven't had a chance to use it yet. Hopefully soon.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Rack of lamb with rosemary and garlic. So tender.

Rack of lamb with rosemary and garlic. So tender.
    Lamb is one of the first things I tried also. Here is a leg of lamb:

1902824_10153060989200739_418494235894943223_n.jpg

Lamb is one of the first things I tried also. Here is a leg of lamb:
    Wow!

Deets please. How long? What temp?

target had them on sale, so i bought an extra one. we did chicken thighs and salmon for eight people on sunday, and i didn't love the way either turned out. they were cooked perfectly, but there was too much dill in the chicken recipe and costco didn't have skin-on salmon, so we couldn't really get a good sear on the bbq for fear of overcooking. we seared the chicken in two le cruesets on the stove, and there was enough water content in the chicken even after thoroughly patting dry that it made a huge mess.

Spoiler for money shot:
    Last edited by old_gregg; 11-01-2016 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Wow!

Deets please. How long? What temp?
    That particular one was 8 hrs @ 130; finished in a 550 oven using convection heat for ~5 minutes.

target had them on sale, so i bought an extra one. we did chicken thighs and salmon for eight people on sunday, and i didn't love the way either turned out. they were cooked perfectly, but there was too much dill in the chicken recipe and costco didn't have skin-on salmon, so we could really get a good sear on the bbq for fear of overcooking. we seared the chicken in two le cruesets on the stove, and there was enough water content in the chicken even after thoroughly patting dry that it made a huge mess.

Spoiler for money shot:
    Chicken and fish are both tricky in sous vide as it becomes possible to overcook each (rendering the meat "mushy") in a relatively short amount of time.

As always, Kenji from serious eats does the legwork for us (trigger warning for YO... contains pictures of delicious food prepared using the sous vide method):

The Food Lab's Complete Guide to Sous Vide Chicken Breast

The Food Lab's Complete Guide to Sous Vide Salmon

what's the rule of thumb for how much food to put in one container of liquid controlled by an immersion circulator? i was hesitant to put more than two bags of six thighs each in those stock pots.

No real rule of thumb that I know of, someone else may know of one. But always make sure you have sufficient water circulation between the bags and make sure they are completely submerged. If you are concerned, check the water temp between the bags with a instant read thermometer. Also make sure the bags aren't touching each other for the most part. I've used a rib rack to separate bags in my container before (obviously won't work for a stockpot).
    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Since they were $50 off (are they always $50 of?), I picked up an Anova this week and am going to break it in for Sunday dinner. I figure I should start in Sous Vide's wheelhouse, and go with steaks, but was also considering Short Ribs. Serious Eats has a ton of info on steaks, but not so much on short ribs (maybe that means I should avoid it, or that I suck at searching). Has anyone done this?

Ok, ok, I've jumped on the bandwagon. My Christmas present to myself should arrive on Tuesday. I assume I should start with steak?
    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
    Since they were $50 off (are they always $50 of?), I picked up an Anova this week and am going to break it in for Sunday dinner. I figure I should start in Sous Vide's wheelhouse, and go with steaks, but was also considering Short Ribs. Serious Eats has a ton of info on steaks, but not so much on short ribs (maybe that means I should avoid it, or that I suck at searching). Has anyone done this?
    What is the difference between the one that Anova sells on their website and the one target sells (for $129)?

http://www.target.com/p/anova-sous-vide-bluetooth-precision-cooker/-/A-50496808

It seems one has wifi so you can cook things remotely.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "I never preached in Texas, but I have preached in places as wicked..." -Brigham Young.
    "If we do nothing we'll be substantially behind (other Power leagues) a decade from now." -Bob Bowlsby on Big 12 expansion.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    What is the difference between the one that Anova sells on their website and the one target sells (for $129)?

http://www.target.com/p/anova-sous-vide-bluetooth-precision-cooker/-/A-50496808

It seems one has wifi so you can cook things remotely.
    One is Bluetooth and one is Wi-Fi. You should buy the cheaper one, (Bluetooth), because you don't need any kind of wireless capability with this thing. I haven't used it a single time. All you need to do a spin the dial with your thumb to set the temperature and push the start button. That's it.