Sous Vide cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• it was an experiment, you neanderthals
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• I've done eggs several times. Like Jay, I've found that they are a little more underdone than they "should" be. I think for hard cooked eggs sous vide works well, because you can get them to the exact temperature you need while ensuring the yolks don't dry.

Soft cooked, I am not as sure about. Sous vide's strength is obviously an even, sustained temperature, and, to me, the perfect soft-cooked egg is not even. The white should be more done than the yolk. So with sous vide, I tend to either get whites that are not as done as I'd like, or yolks that are more done than I would like. I've thought about trying the method Drunk Tank talked about, with a quick boil first, but at that point the egg is basically done to my liking so what's the point? I think with soft cooked, the traditional method is actually better because it is not an even cooking method.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
        I've done eggs several times. Like Jay, I've found that they are a little more underdone than they "should" be. I think for hard cooked eggs sous vide works well, because you can get them to the exact temperature you need while ensuring the yolks don't dry.

Soft cooked, I am not as sure about. Sous vide's strength is obviously an even, sustained temperature, and, to me, the perfect soft-cooked egg is not even. The white should be more done than the yolk. So with sous vide, I tend to either get whites that are not as done as I'd like, or yolks that are more done than I would like. I've thought about trying the method Drunk Tank talked about, with a quick boil first, but at that point the egg is basically done to my liking so what's the point? I think with soft cooked, the traditional method is actually better because it is not an even cooking method.
        You're sort of killing your cultivated 'everyman' schtick here. JSYK.
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
          You're sort of killing your cultivated 'everyman' schtick here. JSYK.
          I usually use them to make egg salad sandwiches on white bread, if that helps.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
            I usually use them to make egg salad sandwiches on white bread, if that helps.
            only if it is wonder bread.
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Perhaps our favorite Sunday dinner now is a boneless prime rib roast (actually, it's a Costco choice rib roast). I bought a big one awhile back and cut it into thirds, keeping them in the freezer until needed. Sunday mornings before church, having defrosted one the night before, I trim off all the cartilage/silverskin (whatever it's called). After applying a little olive oil I rub some sea salt, pepper, and add dried onion flakes, ground garlic, dried rosemary and thyme. After tossing it in the bag, I also throw in a little butter and some fresh rosemary and thyme to go along with the dried stuff. I then vacuum seal the back and put it a 134 degree tub where it sits while we're at church.

When we're ready to eat (roughly five hours later) I take it out of the bag, pat it dry, and then put it on the outside grill (I don't want to add any additional butter or oil) at high flame for roughly 90 seconds a side. Super tender, still very juicy with some great flavors. The missus is most pleased with me.

Sorry, but no pics, although it looked superb. Honest.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                only if it is wonder bread.
                Granny Smith's monkey man.
                Get confident, stupid
                -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                  Granny Smith's monkey man.
                  Granny Sycamore's, apple man.
                  Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• sous vide+these=meal planning cheat code

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I97JQ28/

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                      Granny Sycamore's, apple man.
                      I bet a Granny Smith would be delicious on a piece of Granny Sycamore's bread. Probably wouldn't want to sous vide it though.
                      Get confident, stupid
                      -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                        sous vide+these=meal planning cheat code

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I97JQ28/
                        Please explain.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                          Please explain.
                          sous vide chicken breasts. sear. roast asparagus. roast broccoli and cauliflower. put in thing. boom, week's lunch in perfectly controlled portions in about 20 mins.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                            sous vide chicken breasts. sear. roast asparagus. roast broccoli and cauliflower. put in thing. boom, week's lunch in perfectly controlled portions in about 20 mins.
                            I'm doing a similar kind of thing. How do you reheat?

Comment

Olden_Gregster either just brings his sous vide machine into the break room.
                              Get confident, stupid
                              -landpoke

Comment

microwave usually, but sometimes i just eat it cold. don't like microwaved chicken flavor much.

Comment

Working...
                                X