Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
    Because the chicken is too dry?
    Because those bone-in strip steaks look orange.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Jeff Lebowski, thanks for the Iwatani tip. Got one for Christmas. Thick cut rib eye, sous vide at 124 for two hours, seared for 30 seconds a side in cast iron skillet on high heat on the Iwatani on the porch.

steak.JPG

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
        Jeff Lebowski, thanks for the Iwatani tip. Got one for Christmas. Thick cut rib eye, sous vide at 124 for two hours, seared for 30 seconds a side in cast iron skillet on high heat on the Iwatani on the porch.

Love that thing. Gave one to my son who goes camping/hiking/climbing on most weekends. He uses it all the time.

I do the same. Wait until it is smoking and do 30 seconds per side. Perfect every time.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Sous Vide cooking

Last Sunday I cooked a chuck roast. Not a particularly quality cut of meat. I seared first and then cooked sous vide for 18 hours at 131. After removing from the bag, I egg washed it and hit it with a rub of salt, pepper, fresh rosemary and fresh thyme. Seared in the oven at 450 for 15 mins. Results were amazing. However as good as it was with gravy and mashed potatoes, it was even better a couple of days later in a sandwich. Seriously, the best roast beef sandwich I’ve ever had. Just wish there had been more leftovers. I plan to do it again and do a two roasts: one for Sunday dinner and one for sandwiches/stroganoff. Super good.

Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• That looks terrific.
            "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
              Jeff Lebowski, thanks for the Iwatani tip. Got one for Christmas. Thick cut rib eye, sous vide at 124 for two hours, seared for 30 seconds a side in cast iron skillet on high heat on the Iwatani on the porch.

[ATTACH]9330[/ATTACH]
              which one do you guys have? mrs smr is getting annoyed with the smoke in the house. did tri-tip on sunday - just ridiculous.
              I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                which one do you guys have? mrs smr is getting annoyed with the smoke in the house. did tri-tip on sunday - just ridiculous.
                This one:

https://www.amazon.com/Iwatani-35FW-...ywords=iwatani

Light and portable, but it cranks out 15,000 BTUs on the high setting. You can get a cast iron skillet smoking hot in just a few minutes.

I used to sear indoors on the stove and one day we had a particularly smoky episode and my wife said I either needed to figure out an outdoor solution or the sous vide machine was going into the trash. Did some research and bought this unit and couldn't be happier.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  This one:

https://www.amazon.com/Iwatani-35FW-...ywords=iwatani

Light and portable, but it cranks out 15,000 BTUs on the high setting. You can get a cast iron skillet smoking hot in just a few minutes.

I used to sear indoors on the stove and one day we had a particularly smoky episode and my wife said I either needed to figure out an outdoor solution or the sous vide machine was going into the trash. Did some research and bought this unit and couldn't be happier.
                  Gracias
                  I'm like LeBron James.
                  -mpfunk

Comment

• Sous vide steaks with compound butter made from fast food.

Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I finally joined the sous vide club yesterday. I made hard boiled eggs last night. Took a hell of a lot longer, but definitely better results.
                      As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                        I finally joined the sous vide club yesterday. I made hard boiled eggs last night. Took a hell of a lot longer, but definitely better results.
                        Now try a steak. Then a chicken breast.

Welcome to the club!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Now try a steak. Then a chicken breast.

Welcome to the club!
                          Steak is about the only thing I use my sous vide for anymore. Only way to go for steak.
                          "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post

Steak is about the only thing I use my sous vide for anymore. Only way to go for steak.
                            Mostly the same. Sometimes if we need to heat something up while we are out running errands or something, we will throw frozen vacuum-sealed stuff (leftover bbq typically) in the sous vide rather than having it sit in a pan on the stove. Not too hot, not too cold, won't boil over, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post

yep. steaks and thick cut pork chops (my wife loves pork chops) for me.
                              I'm like LeBron James.
                              -mpfunk

Comment

• Sous vide is great for brauts. You can cook them through without burning, then throw them on the grill to give them some color and added grill flavor. I have also come to love thick burgers that have been through the sous vide and then grilled. That way they are cooked through without burning the outside. It's particularly helpful for those extended family "bring your own meat" summer meals. We bring our meat already cooked, then just have to warm it on the grill quick and give it some color. Makes for quicker eating and less work hovering over a grill.

I also like it for times I've taken pots of soup in for work functions. I can make up some soup, stew, or chili a day or two (or more) before and throw it in the fridge. Then drop the soup in ziplocks in the sous vide to warm it day of. Our crock pot is either too hot or too cold, so this works better for getting it to a good eating temp. Then I'll throw it into a warmed crock pot to keep it that way while serving.

Comment

Working...
                                X