Sous Vide cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide cooking

I love sous vide because you can take an amazing cut of meat and make it look like prison food. Eating gray meat has never felt so sophisticated.

Comment

I never knew...

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
        I love sous vide because you can take an amazing cut of meat and make it look like prison food. Eating gray meat has never felt so sophisticated.
        Hush. The adults are talking.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Hush. The adults are talking.
          What's especially cool is when your food has the same texture as your vacuum seal bag.

Comment

Originally posted by hostile View Post
            I may need to get one of those.
            The machine JL referenced (and I also own):
            <https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-cooker/>

JL may have a different set up than mine, but this is what I use:

FoodSaver Vacuum Sealer
            <https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044XDA3S/>

Sous Vide Bath Container
            <https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NQB63E/>

Matching Lid
            <https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001MRVN6/>

Don't get one of those small 3-gallon tubs. Size matters if you want to do leg of lamb, roasts, etc.
            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

I may need to get one of those. For the last year or so I cook my steaks by letting them come to room temp then sear in my cast iron skillet (I heat it to 500 degrees in the oven)
              You would love it. They frequently go on sale for $50 off. But either way they are a great investment. I would recommend not worrying about the bluetooth vs. wifi connection. Have not used it a single time. All you need is the rotator dial on the front and the temp display. Just set the temp and go.

I have tried various methods for the post-cook sear: charcoal, torch, and cast-iron pan. The cast-iron pan is the easiest and it works great. The only problem is the smoke in the kitchen.

For compound butter I just take soften butter and whip in some herbs - thyme, garlic, rosemary - or sea salt. Caputo's here in SL has a large selection of different sea salt which are fun to experiment with.
              Need to try that. I typically go with with just coarse ground pepper and kosher salt.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

i would buy a circulator but i don't have room for one. those things are big. best way to cook a steak though and it's not close.
                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                  What's especially cool is when your food has the same texture as your vacuum seal bag.
                  Sous-vide noob. Re-visit your sear technique. Try this serious eats guide to sous vide steak.
                  You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                  Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                  You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                    The machine JL referenced (and I also own):
                    <https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-cooker/>

JL may have a different set up than mine, but this is what I use:

FoodSaver Vacuum Sealer
                    <https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044XDA3S/>

Sous Vide Bath Container
                    <https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NQB63E/>

Matching Lid
                    <https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001MRVN6/>

Don't get one of those small 3-gallon tubs. Size matters if you want to do leg of lamb, roasts, etc.
                    I don't have the plastic container. I have just been using a big metal pot. Only three of us at home these days so I have plenty of room. But I am interested in doing some bigger cuts (saw an interesting recipe for brisket the other day) so I may need to invest.

For the vacuum sealer, I have tried several models but I am partial to this one:

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...word=foodsaver

It has both normal and quick (more suction) settings and also has a manual feature that lets you control exactly how long you apply the vacuum and when the seal takes place.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                      Sous-vide noob. Re-visit your sear technique. Try this serious eats guide to sous vide steak.
                      They need to stop serving sous vide steak in prison. That bone would make a deadly shiv.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                        i would buy a circulator but i don't have room for one. those things are big. best way to cook a steak though and it's not close.
                        The Anova fits in a drawer. I bought one last year during their black Friday sale. I use it once a week. It's awesome. I have the bath container and lid Walter shared, but most of the time I just use a pot.
                        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

Comment

anova for $129 here. just ordered one.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                            anova for $129 here. just ordered one.
                            Looks like they have a 900w model with wi fi for $169
                            "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

I have two. I use them more than my smoker anymore. I haven't done brisket yet, but I have used it for tri-tip multiple times. One has been relegated to only reheating frozen rodents to 100° to feed the ball pythons. The wife won't let me use it for food anymore.
                              "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
                                I have two. I use them more than my smoker anymore. I haven't done brisket yet, but I have used it for tri-tip multiple times. One has been relegated to only reheating frozen rodents to 100° to feed the ball pythons. The wife won't let me use it for food anymore.
                                it's bagged, wgaf?

Comment

Working...
                                X