Sous Vide cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    App control is stupid. Just turn the dial on the device. Doesn't need to be any more complicated than that. One of the beauties of sous vide is how incredibly simple it is.
    I got the wifi model, but just to get the increased wattage, which I probably have no real use for, but sometimes I do a whole lot of meat in a cooler that is somewhere in the 50-70 quart range. I have yet to connect it to wifi or install the app.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
      I got the Anova bluetooth one for Christmas from Amazon for $94. Currently listed at $134. That thing is awesome.
      Whoa - I was checking these out on Amazon yesterday and they were $104, now I just went back and checked and they're $134. Price jumps around a lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
        Whoa - I was checking these out on Amazon yesterday and they were $104, now I just went back and checked and they're $134. Price jumps around a lot.
        Don't try to time the market. You don't know if the price will be even higher in the future. Use DCA as you build up your supply of immersion cookers.

Has anybody got the new sous vide hotness, the ChefSteps Joule?

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/10/j...or-review.html

I think the idea of having a magnet on the bottom is really useful.
        "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
        "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
        This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
        "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
        "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
          The downside to Joule (huge downside, IMO) is that you have to control it through the app.
          Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
          Don't try to time the market. You don't know if the price will be even higher in the future. Use DCA as you build up your supply of immersion cookers.

Magnet is cool, but no controls on the apparatus itself (see above) is a dealbreaker, IMO.
          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Magnet is cool, but no controls on the apparatus itself (see above) is a dealbreaker, IMO.
            Almost exactly what I was going to type.

I also don't really care about how quickly a device can get something to temperature. Any respectable unit can get you hot enough to cook some steaks in the amount of time it takes to prep the steaks. If I am going hotter, to 165 or 170, I usually just fill my pot up halfway, then load up my electric kettle to get the water up to temp.

Comment

But voice control via Alexa is coming soon!
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Out of curiosity, anyone ever tried to sous vide a hamburger patty then finish on the grill?

Comment

Out of curiosity, anyone ever tried to sous vide a hamburger patty then finish on the grill?
                  I haven't tried it yet, but if would make total sense if you make a fat, 3/4" or 1" thick patty. Much thinner than 3/4" and I'm not sure you'd get much return on your time investment by the time you seared on the grill.
                  Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

I haven't tried it yet, but if would make total sense if you make a fat, 3/4" or 1" thick patty. Much thinner than 3/4" and I'm not sure you'd get much return on your time investment by the time you seared on the grill.
                    plus i don’t think it would stick together. would turn into gray ground beef
                    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Out of curiosity, anyone ever tried to sous vide a hamburger patty then finish on the grill?
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post

Wow. That looks cool.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                          We had these tonight. Had them with sauteed onions and mushrooms. Burgers were juicy and tender, which my wife and I really liked. My kids thought they were gross for the same reasons

Next time I'll sear the crap out of the kids' burgers.
                          "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                          "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                          This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                          "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                          "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• Never been a huge Valentine's Day fan. Always called it a "Hallmark Holiday" that seems to cause more problems than it's worth.

Until now.

My lovely wife decided I've talked enough about wanting to pick one of these up sometime that she better buy me one before I just buy my own. So she gave me the Anova bluetooth version last night. Yay!

Now I just need to decide what to cook first...Any favorites I should consider? (I'm leaning towards just an average, everyday steak.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                              Never been a huge Valentine's Day fan. Always called it a "Hallmark Holiday" that seems to cause more problems than it's worth.

Until now.

My lovely wife decided I've talked enough about wanting to pick one of these up sometime that she better buy me one before I just buy my own. So she gave me the Anova bluetooth version last night. Yay!

Now I just need to decide what to cook first...Any favorites I should consider? (I'm leaning towards just an average, everyday steak.)
                              do a thick ribeye. lots of margin for error and harder to overcook.
                              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                                Congrats! Word of caution though... when you go out and buy an "average, everyday steak" make sure it is choice grade (at least) or prime. Sous vide won't transform your turd select steak into prime tenderloin.
                                You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                                Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                                You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Working...
                                X