Sous Vide cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
    Yeah but is that the cause or the problem?
    cause (depending on thickness). whole point is to get lots of color quick. also thighs >
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
      cause (depending on thickness). whole point is to get lots of color quick. also thighs >
      this guy gets it.
      Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Yeah but is that the cause or the problem?
        Chicken is $1.99 a lb. Buy some more and give it a shot.

This isn't Prime Rib that you are working with here. Cheap to experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
          Chicken is $1.99 a lb. Buy some more and give it a shot.

This isn't Prime Rib that you are working with here. Cheap to experiment.
          Yeah, I'll definitely give it another go.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• In two weeks we're hosting a dinner party for a bunch of friends from grade school and high school (we've stayed close over the years--apparently we were inept at developing new relationships). Anyway, I'm in charge of keeping the carnivores happy so I'm thinking of doing some tri-tips on the Traeger and I'm wondering about doing a bunch of chicken as well. I haven't done it before, but I'm thinking of putting lots of seasoned, marinated or brined chicken parts (legs, thighs and perhaps breasts) in the sous vide at 140 or so for 2-3 hours before the event, and then slapping them on the gas grill on high heat for a couple of minutes to brown them after the guests have arrived. It's much less labor intensive and easier than grilling them from the outset. Is this a bad idea? Any other suggestions?

Comment

• no need to brine, my dude
              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• I'd be careful with "lots of seasoning" too. The first time I did chicken I put the same basic amount of seasoning on some chicken breasts as I would if I were throwing them on the grill, and the seasoning overpowered the chicken. To the point that no one really liked it.

I think that having the seasoning locked into the bag while it cooks doesn't allow some of that flavor to dissipate, and it ends up concentrated. So I'd go a little lighter on the seasoning.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                  I'd be careful with "lots of seasoning" too. The first time I did chicken I put the same basic amount of seasoning on some chicken breasts as I would if I were throwing them on the grill, and the seasoning overpowered the chicken. To the point that no one really liked it.

I think that having the seasoning locked into the bag while it cooks doesn't allow some of that flavor to dissipate, and it ends up concentrated. So I'd go a little lighter on the seasoning.
                  Agreed. I typically season after searing.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• For holidays we often have a cookout at my sister's house. First a swim in the pool, then everyone brings their own meat to throw on the grill. My wife's least favorite part - as inevitably she's hungry and they start the grill late, so it takes longer to get everyone's meat on the grill and cooked. Then there's the different temps the grill is set at, and trying not to let everything burn from the grease flare ups.

So - for the last 2-3 family parties like this, I've cooked whatever we're eating sous vide first. Burgers or brats, it works well for either. Whatever we're having is already done, I can throw it on the grill for some quick browning and then it's ready to go. I've been super happy with how great everything has tasted and how quick and easy it's been.

Score one more for the Anova!

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                      For holidays we often have a cookout at my sister's house. First a swim in the pool, then everyone brings their own meat to throw on the grill. My wife's least favorite part - as inevitably she's hungry and they start the grill late, so it takes longer to get everyone's meat on the grill and cooked. Then there's the different temps the grill is set at, and trying not to let everything burn from the grease flare ups.

So - for the last 2-3 family parties like this, I've cooked whatever we're eating sous vide first. Burgers or brats, it works well for either. Whatever we're having is already done, I can throw it on the grill for some quick browning and then it's ready to go. I've been super happy with how great everything has tasted and how quick and easy it's been.

Score one more for the Anova!
                      So do you keep it in the water bath while you swim or do you let it cool and then reheat?
                      "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

• Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                        So do you keep it in the water bath while you swim or do you let it cool and then reheat?
                        I don't leave it in the water bath.

Sometimes I have refrigerated it, and then we're really just using the grill to reheat.

We normally only swim for a couple of hours and then we're eat, so sometimes I've taken it from the water bath to a small insulated cooler and just let it stay warm until we throw it on the grill.

Comment

Yeah, I'll definitely give it another go.
                          Did chicken again a few weeks ago. This time I lowered the temp to 140 and cooked for about 2.5 hours, then finished on the grill on high heat. Came out even worse that before, if that's possible. The chicken was almost mushy (not really, but trending that way). Really bizarre.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Did chicken again a few weeks ago. This time I lowered the temp to 140 and cooked for about 2.5 hours, then finished on the grill on high heat. Came out even worse that before, if that's possible. The chicken was almost mushy (not really, but trending that way). Really bizarre.
                            2.5 hours seems like a long time. Didn't you do 150 for 2 hours on your last attempt?
                            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

I've only done chicken once, but I only cooked it for an hour at most. Maybe even less. If it is mushy, it is breaking down too much.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                                2.5 hours seems like a long time. Didn't you do 150 for 2 hours on your last attempt?
                                Yep. But isn't part is the draw for sous vide that the exact time isn't so important? 2.5 hours isn't exactly long.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X