Sous Vide cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
    I've only done chicken once, but I only cooked it for an hour at most. Maybe even less. If it is mushy, it is breaking down too much.
    Beck to the drawing board.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
      Yep. But isn't part is the draw for sous vide that the exact time isn't so important? 2.5 hours isn't exactly long.
      I think that applies to everything but chicken. Really I don't know. I'm a total noob.

Comment

• The Seriouseats guy says that you can cook it up to 4 hours without it really changing texture all that much - so 2.5 hours shouldn't be too bad (I wouldn't think.)

Personally - when I cooked chicken at 140 I didn't like the texture. Still seemed raw to me, so I've mostly cooked closer to 150 for 2-3 hours and loved it every time. Not sure why yours would be mushy.

Here's the serious eats "complete guide" to chicken.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/...en-breast.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
          The Seriouseats guy says that you can cook it up to 4 hours without it really changing texture all that much - so 2.5 hours shouldn't be too bad (I wouldn't think.)

Personally - when I cooked chicken at 140 I didn't like the texture. Still seemed raw to me, so I've mostly cooked closer to 150 for 2-3 hours and loved it every time. Not sure why yours would be mushy.

We did sous vide chicken breasts yesterday. 145 degrees for 2-3 hrs. Texture was great.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            We did sous vide chicken breasts yesterday. 145 degrees for 2-3 hrs. Texture was great.
            I'll have to try that. 140 was just a little too sushi'ish to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
              The Seriouseats guy says that you can cook it up to 4 hours without it really changing texture all that much - so 2.5 hours shouldn't be too bad (I wouldn't think.)

This is the guide I followed the first time I did chicken, boy it still sucked. [emoji25]
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I always thought sous vide was pretty much fool proof. Guess not.

Comment

• Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                  I always thought sous vide was pretty much fool proof. Guess not.
                  Not if there's a big enough fool.
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                    Not if there's a big enough fool.
                    super mean post
                    I'm like LeBron James.
                    -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                      super mean post
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Mrs. D picked up some decent looking bone-in strip steaks yesterday, and I cooked them today. Just used Montreal seasoning. Came out perfectly. My BIL borrows my cast-iron skillet a couple weeks ago and hasn’t returned it yet , so I cranked the grill up to 600 and finished them there. You pretty much have to be an idiot to not get perfect protein from this thing.

Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                          Mrs. D picked up some decent looking bone-in strip steaks yesterday, and I cooked them today. Just used Montreal seasoning. Came out perfectly. My BIL borrows my cast-iron skillet a couple weeks ago and hasn’t returned it yet , so I cranked the grill up to 600 and finished them there. You pretty much have to be an idiot to not get perfect protein from this thing.

use your le creuset breh
                          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Not going to bite.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                              Not going to bite.
                              Because the chicken is too dry?
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• My latest obsession is regular chuck roast at 136 for 24-36 hrs. It's amazing what the sous vide can do. My latest trick is to refrigerate to cool it down in order to be able to sear longer without worry of overcooking the middle. I also just read about the mayo sear. I might try that next.

Comment

Working...
                                X