Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Sous Vide cooking

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Yeah but is that the cause or the problem?
    cause (depending on thickness). whole point is to get lots of color quick. also thighs >
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    cause (depending on thickness). whole point is to get lots of color quick. also thighs >
    this guy gets it.
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Yeah but is that the cause or the problem?
    Chicken is $1.99 a lb. Buy some more and give it a shot.

This isn't Prime Rib that you are working with here. Cheap to experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
    Chicken is $1.99 a lb. Buy some more and give it a shot.

This isn't Prime Rib that you are working with here. Cheap to experiment.
    Yeah, I'll definitely give it another go.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

In two weeks we're hosting a dinner party for a bunch of friends from grade school and high school (we've stayed close over the years--apparently we were inept at developing new relationships). Anyway, I'm in charge of keeping the carnivores happy so I'm thinking of doing some tri-tips on the Traeger and I'm wondering about doing a bunch of chicken as well. I haven't done it before, but I'm thinking of putting lots of seasoned, marinated or brined chicken parts (legs, thighs and perhaps breasts) in the sous vide at 140 or so for 2-3 hours before the event, and then slapping them on the gas grill on high heat for a couple of minutes to brown them after the guests have arrived. It's much less labor intensive and easier than grilling them from the outset. Is this a bad idea? Any other suggestions?

no need to brine, my dude
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

I'd be careful with "lots of seasoning" too. The first time I did chicken I put the same basic amount of seasoning on some chicken breasts as I would if I were throwing them on the grill, and the seasoning overpowered the chicken. To the point that no one really liked it.

I think that having the seasoning locked into the bag while it cooks doesn't allow some of that flavor to dissipate, and it ends up concentrated. So I'd go a little lighter on the seasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    I'd be careful with "lots of seasoning" too. The first time I did chicken I put the same basic amount of seasoning on some chicken breasts as I would if I were throwing them on the grill, and the seasoning overpowered the chicken. To the point that no one really liked it.

I think that having the seasoning locked into the bag while it cooks doesn't allow some of that flavor to dissipate, and it ends up concentrated. So I'd go a little lighter on the seasoning.
    Agreed. I typically season after searing.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster