Sous Vide cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
    we did prime ny steaks on nye. usually a ribeye family, but these were huge and looked great (and were a good deal). also did a taste test, half of the steaks had salt/pepper/rosemary and olive oil in pan and the other half had just montreal seasoning. both in cast iron and basted with garlic and good butter. excellent results, and the attendees were split down the middle re the flavors.
    Did you cook to a minimum of 180* (or is it 160*? The label is a bit hard to read) per the USDA recommendations on the label? Also, what does "blade tenderized" mean?

Yes, I'm kind of a beef novice. I eat whatever my wife serves up. Sometimes she serves up good stuff and sometimes she serves up stuff that has the tenderness of tire treads. She always freaks out and cooks everything well done. She makes hamburgers that are completely grey all the way through and dried out because she's afraid of E. Coli. So I'm hoping to teach her how to buy good quality meat and not destroy it in the cooking process.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
      Did you cook to a minimum of 180* (or is it 160*? The label is a bit hard to read) per the USDA recommendations on the label? Also, what does "blade tenderized" mean?

Yes, I'm kind of a beef novice. I eat whatever my wife serves up. Sometimes she serves up good stuff and sometimes she serves up stuff that has the tenderness of tire treads. She always freaks out and cooks everything well done. She makes hamburgers that are completely grey all the way through and dried out because she's afraid of E. Coli. So I'm hoping to teach her how to buy good quality meat and not destroy it in the cooking process.

Dude, that's messed up.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

129 in sous vide, middle got up to 133 after searing. its some kind of mechanical tenderization process apparently. it worked!
        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Cooked some chicken breasts today. Didn’t have a lot of time to prep, so I threw in a prepackaged lemon and herbs marinade and cooked them at 138 for 2 hours. Finished on the grill. They were absolutely perfect and got devoured. My somewhat picky 6yo ate a bunch and commented on how she could cut the chicken with her fork.

Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Looks perfect!

We did some boneless pork chops tonight: 4 hours @ 135° seasoned with a rub of allspice, cloves, kosher salt, and ground black pepper. Finished on cast iron; served with applesauce. Yum yum.
            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• what's the best sous vide for around $100? or are they all about the same?
              I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                what's the best sous vide for around $100? or are they all about the same?
                A good one is going to run you $130-150 (but you can find some deals if you shop around). I researched these before Christmas. Joule and Anova are the two leaders. Joule comes with higher standard wattage, but Anova has improved its wattage with it's wifi version. The downside to Joule (huge downside, IMO) is that you have to control it through the app. Anova can be controlled through an app, but can also just be controlled with the existing hardware. This makes it a no-brainer, IMO. Anova, FTW.

The 800 and 900 watt versions:

https://www.amazon.com/Anova-Culinar...vide+bluetooth
                https://www.amazon.com/Anova-Culinar...sous+vide+wifi
                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                  what's the best sous vide for around $100? or are they all about the same?
                  I got the monoprice one for Christmas. It was on sale for $50. Works great. It is normally $70.

Comment

• thanks for the responses fellas
                    I'm like LeBron James.
                    -mpfunk

Comment

• I got the Anova bluetooth one for Christmas from Amazon for $94. Currently listed at $134. That thing is awesome.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                        A good one is going to run you $130-150 (but you can find some deals if you shop around). I researched these before Christmas. Joule and Anova are the two leaders. Joule comes with higher standard wattage, but Anova has improved its wattage with it's wifi version. The downside to Joule (huge downside, IMO) is that you have to control it through the app. Anova can be controlled through an app, but can also just be controlled with the existing hardware. This makes it a no-brainer, IMO. Anova, FTW.

The 800 and 900 watt versions:

https://www.amazon.com/Anova-Culinar...vide+bluetooth
                        https://www.amazon.com/Anova-Culinar...sous+vide+wifi
                        App control is stupid. Just turn the dial on the device. Doesn't need to be any more complicated than that. One of the beauties of sous vide is how incredibly simple it is.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          Yeah, I have tried:

1) Hot cast iron pan
                          2) Torch
                          3) Charcoal grill

and #1 is the way to go. Simple and easy and quick. Maybe 60 seconds per side.
                          Are you still doing this outside on a hot plate?
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                            Are you still doing this outside on a hot plate?
                            Yep. Iwatani portable butane stove. Love that thing.

But I have a new method I will unveil shortly.

Comment

• i don’t really get the use of those cast iron grill pans for steaks. defeats the purpose of having as much surface area seared as possible.
                              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                App control is stupid. Just turn the dial on the device. Doesn't need to be any more complicated than that. One of the beauties of sous vide is how incredibly simple it is.
                                It took me a few months before I figured out on the Anova I could use the knob on the device to turn the temp up and down and didn't have to use the app.

Comment

Working...
                                X