No announcement yet.

Sous Vide cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm trying short ribs Korean kalbi style.

After reading this https://www.chefsteps.com/activities...-time-and-temp I decided to go 140 for 48 hrs.

I'm using the marinade from this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hLJTqRpcEE and cooking in the marinade.

But I screwed up. I bought the kind of short ribs that are cut the opposite way, you usually get in Korean and Hawaiian style short ribs.

ie, the left in this picture, not the right, which is what I should have bought

Can I try to cut them after cooking (just started the cooking process this morning)? Or just serve them this way?

Choke.

Comment

• Did 10 prime 6-oz filet mignon for CE dinner. 2 hours @ 130°. threw in 3 lbs of prawn for the last 15 minutes. steak rub: garlic powder, salt, pepper, fresh tarragon. shrimp marinade: garlic-infused EVOO, a pinch of this lemon juice powder I bought at KAF, salt, pepper.

finished the steak stovetop on the cast iron grill and the shrimp in a cast iron pan, 15 seconds per side. Plated together: steak medallion, topped with two or three prawn, Bearnaise sauce. Served with garlic mashers, roasted broccoli, rolls per my MIL recipe, and the wilted spinach salad our guests brought.

LIFE CHANGING meal.
      You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
      Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
      You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• I’ve got four 22oz bone-in ribeyes ready to sous vide. Cut 1” thick. Would like to target somewhere between Med rare and medium, per Mrs D’s request. Was thinking I would go 132* for 2hrs. Is that too hot/long? This n0ob would appreciate any input.
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
          I’ve got four 22oz bone-in ribeyes ready to sous vide. Cut 1” thick. Would like to target somewhere between Med rare and medium, per Mrs D’s request. Was thinking I would go 132* for 2hrs. Is that too hot/long? This n0ob would appreciate any input.
          129° for 2 to 2½ hours. 4 hours max.
          You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
          Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
          You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• I had a 10lb prime rib that I got for 5.49lb that i was going to cook for NYE but decided to break it down instead. I broke it down into 5 x 2" ribeye cap steaks, 5 eye of ribeye steaks (also 2" thick) and rack of beef ribs. I rolled the ribeye cap steaks and tied them with butchers twine, then cooked them sous vide @ 130° for 2.5 hours. I then hit them with some smoked sea salt and encrusted them with crushed black peppercorns and seared them off for about 20-30 seconds. I served them with some garlic mashers and topped with a Steak au Poivre sauce I made after searing the steaks. One of the best steaks I have ever had. If you haven't had a ribeye cap steak I highly recommend it.
            "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

• Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
              I had a 10lb prime rib that I got for 5.49lb that i was going to cook for NYE but decided to break it down instead. I broke it down into 5 x 2" ribeye cap steaks, 5 eye of ribeye steaks (also 2" thick) and rack of beef ribs. I rolled the ribeye cap steaks and tied them with butchers twine, then cooked them sous vide @ 130° for 2.5 hours. I then hit them with some smoked sea salt and encrusted them with crushed black peppercorns and seared them off for about 20-30 seconds. I served them with some garlic mashers and topped with a Steak au Poivre sauce I made after searing the steaks. One of the best steaks I have ever had. If you haven't had a ribeye cap steak I highly recommend it.
              Pics or it never happened.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• no pics...Sorry. I'll take pics when I do the eye of ribeye steaks.
                "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

• The first few things I made with "my wife's" Christmas present were soft boiled eggs, which I've never really liked before (I wasn't really attracted to the idea of eating eggs that are too raw) I followed the Serious Eats guide http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/10/s...bout-eggs.html and the first batch had whites that were too runny. I think this was a result of higher elevation. The next batch I increased the boiling time by a minute and they were good. I really liked the rich, custardy yolk. So far I haven't convinced my wife or kids to try them.

Today I made some strip steaks. I cooked at 131.5 for about 90 minutes and then seared on the grill. Had baked potatoes and steamed broccoli on the side.
                  20180107_173005.jpg
                  The steak was really good, especially compared to the way I usually cook steaks-I could never consistently do medium rare.

The 1 thing I will do differently next time: sear on a pan. The grill didn't really form a great crust. It was up to 500 when I started the sear but cooled off a lot during.

The missus seemed to like it (and is now more convinced that medium rare is the proper way to eat meat). However, she wants me to use a nicer cut of meat next time, which I have no problem with.
                  "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                  "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                  This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                  "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                  "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
                    The 1 thing I will do differently next time: sear on a pan. The grill didn't really form a great crust. It was up to 500 when I started the sear but cooled off a lot during.
                    Yeah, I have tried:

1) Hot cast iron pan
                    2) Torch
                    3) Charcoal grill

and #1 is the way to go. Simple and easy and quick. Maybe 60 seconds per side.

Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
                    The missus seemed to like it (and is now more convinced that medium rare is the proper way to eat meat). However, she wants me to use a nicer cut of meat next time, which I have no problem with.
                    Go to Costco and get some of those thick cut strips or ribeyes. Or filets. Splurge and go prime or fish through the Choice packages and you can often find something that looks prime grade.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      Yeah, I have tried:

1) Hot cast iron pan
                      2) Torch
                      3) Charcoal grill

and #1 is the way to go. Simple and easy and quick. Maybe 60 seconds per side.

Go to Costco and get some of those thick cut strips or ribeyes. Or filets. Splurge and go prime or fish through the Choice packages and you can often find something that looks prime grade.
                      How can you tell just by the look?

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                        The marbling. It's all about the marbling.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                          Marbling.

Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Inspired by this thread i got my wife an anova sous vide for Christmas. She has used it for every meal that we have prepared since she got it. Her first try was soft boiled eggs on Christmas Day. I was a little leary at first, but they were pretty amazing on a toasted English muffin.

Chicken and pork have been really good, but the New York strip steak was incredible. Love that thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• we did prime ny steaks on nye. usually a ribeye family, but these were huge and looked great (and were a good deal). also did a taste test, half of the steaks had salt/pepper/rosemary and olive oil in pan and the other half had just montreal seasoning. both in cast iron and basted with garlic and good butter. excellent results, and the attendees were split down the middle re the flavors.

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Ha! Nice touch using the wisconsin quarter with the cow on it.

I love a good quality NY strip. (not that, sickos)

Comment

Working...
                                X