No announcement yet.

Sous Vide cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forage needs to start providing CUF with some kick backs for all these recommendations.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
      We'll let you know how we like it for Valentine's Day!
      They do two different options for dinner. One is a prix-fix where you choose one appetizer, one entree, and one dessert. It takes a little over an hour for dinner. The other is a tasting menu, where you try a small portion of most everything on the menu. Never tried this, but the waiter said it takes most of the evening - 3 hours.
      "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Hey Space Ghost, if you ever bought/made that sous vide machine, make these and invite me over: http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/vorac...yolks.php#more

Comment

I had an egg cooked sous vide today at brunch at tilth and it was awesome. The yolk was super thick and creamy almost like a custard. It was kind of like eating an egg for the first time again.

Comment

Coscto selling a SousVide system for $300:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...ketingItemName
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              Coscto selling a SousVide system for $300:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...ketingItemName
              That is a pretty good deal for that water oven concidering it comes with a vacuum sealer, bags and cookbook.
              "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

Originally posted by Space Ghost View Post
                { redacted }
                Space Ghost kills me. Seriously. Good stuff.
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Thought I would bump this thread. I finally have up on my Nomiku sous vide machine after over a year delay. They are finally shipping, but I canceled a while back.

Today I received my Anova culinary immersion circulator. Anova is a lab equipment mfg who decided to jump into the sous vide foray. Originally priced at $299 (to compete with the Nomiku) they dropped their price to $199 when another Kickstarter project promised a $199 immersion circulator.

I just unpacked it this evening and will play around with it for a bit. I'm on the lookout for some good sous vide recipes and am looking forward to posting the results.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

Cooked 4 ribeyes last night. They were fantastic! Most tender steak I think I have had. They cooked @ 130 deg for 2 hours, then seared with olive oil, butter and fresh thyme for 1 min on each side. They were great!

Sorry for the not so great pics.

Comment

Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
                      Cooked 4 ribeyes last night. They were fantastic! Most tender steak I think I have had. They cooked @ 130 deg for 2 hours, then seared with olive oil, butter and fresh thyme for 1 min on each side. They were great!

Sorry for the not so great pics.
                      Are you kidding? Those are fantastic pics.

You have a sous vide machine?
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Sous Vide cooking

I thought the pics looked blurry. Maybe it's my iPhone screen. Lol

I ordered a machine back in December. The company makes them as they are ordered so it takes about 3 weeks or so to get it, but for $199 it works great.

Comment

Anyone thinking about picking up an immersion circulator, Anova has a $50 off deal for Father's Day. Just use code "luvdad" and get $50 off.

http://store.anovaculinary.com/produ...eid=73834c6b22

Comment

Time to resurrect this thread. Just saw this post from SG:

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                            Eating steak out (JaK's, El Gaucho, The Met, Daniel's) doesn't do it for me like it once did. I ate at Ruth's Chris last month on my CFA's dime. Meh.

Do yourself a favor and get a sous vide machine and some prime cuts at Costco. Sous vide for ~18-24 hrs @ 128°. Finish/sear on a pre-heated cast iron grill pan on the stovetop, 30 seconds each side. Finish with a pad of compound butter or some roasted crab and béarnaise sauce.
                            Agree 100%. I bought myself an Anova sous vide device last year for Christmas and I love it. Exceeded my expectations. I doubt I will ever grill a steak again. I have done filets, prime sirloin, NY strip, and ribeyes. All are fabulous.

Here is the most amazing thing: my wife has never been a steak fan (doesn't eat much red meat) and usually wanted her steaks cooked well done (barf!). Not only does she love sous vide steaks, but she has been fully converted to medium rare. Cha-ching.

SG, tell me more about this compound butter and crab and béarnaise sauce.

Comment

The Complete Book of Sauces
                              <https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0028603605/>

Chapter 5: Emulsified Butter Sauces (hollandaise, béarnaise, ...)

Chapter 7: Compound Butters (gorgonzola butter, green peppercorn butter, Marchand de Vin butter, ...)

or google.
                              You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                              Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                              You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                Time to resurrect this thread. Just saw this post from SG:

Agree 100%. I bought myself an Anova sous vide device last year for Christmas and I love it. Exceeded my expectations. I doubt I will ever grill a steak again. I have done filets, prime sirloin, NY strip, and ribeyes. All are fabulous.

Here is the most amazing thing: my wife has never been a steak fan (doesn't eat much red meat) and usually wanted her steaks cooked well done (barf!). Not only does she love sous vide steaks, but she has been fully converted to medium rare. Cha-ching.

SG, tell me more about this compound butter and crab and béarnaise sauce.
                                I may need to get one of those. For the last year or so I cook my steaks by letting them come to room temp then sear in my cast iron skillet (I heat it to 500 degrees in the oven)

For compound butter I just take soften butter and whip in some herbs - thyme, garlic, rosemary - or sea salt. Caputo's here in SL has a large selection of different sea salt which are fun to experiment with.
                                "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Working...
                                X