Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
    It's always fun to bump this thread

Bought four tickets to Paris for spring break 2019 for $500 a piece. I've seen them lower than that at times, but these were convenient times with the return flight being direct from CDG to IAH. Taking MJ and hte two oldest kids. Now I can't stop thinking about the trip...which I guess is a good thing. I'll visit stuff I've already seen as the main goal is to show my kids the places I served, which includes most of Normandy, Versailles (adn the temple of course) and Paris. We will probably skip Picardie.
    Wow. That is a great deal.

I don't blame you for being excited. Should be an amazing trip.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
      I'm not gonna read the thread to see --probably others have suggested visiting Pere Lachaise cemetery -- this is probably my favorite thing we have ever done in Paris -- hired a guide that took us around to all the cool stuff. We started at the top of the hill like they describe here near the tomb of Oscar Wilde, then walked down and found the graves of Jim Morrison, Frederic Chopin, Gertrude Stein, Moliere. Very fun and somewhat non-touristy thing to do. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C3%A...haise_Cemetery
      Our trip was awesome (except for Air France canceling our SFO-CDG with 25 hours warning) and Père-Lachaise cemetery ended up being one of my favorite things so thanks to all those who suggested it in this thread. We grabbed a small studio apartment in the 2nd arrondissement off Airbnb for under $100/night and loved the neighborhood. Endless cafes full until well after midnight every night and easy walk to the Seine. Loved the ease and speed of the Metro and with the “transit” option on google maps there was nothing to learn. So easy. An amazing city and a trip I’ll never forget.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
        Our trip was awesome (except for Air France canceling our SFO-CDG with 25 hours warning) and Père-Lachaise cemetery ended up being one of my favorite things so thanks to all those who suggested it in this thread. We grabbed a small studio apartment in the 2nd arrondissement off Airbnb for under $100/night and loved the neighborhood. Endless cafes full until well after midnight every night and easy walk to the Seine. Loved the ease and speed of the Metro and with the “transit” option on google maps there was nothing to learn. So easy. An amazing city and a trip I’ll never forget.

Glad you had an excellent time. Tell me more about the cancelled flight. Did they rebook you to land on the same day?
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Glad you had an excellent time. Tell me more about the cancelled flight. Did they rebook you to land on the same day?
          They booked us on a delta flight and we actually got there three hours earlier on the same day we were scheduled to leave. However it wasn’t direct and we didn’t get to sit together on either flight (SFO-LAX, LAX-CDG). We had paid extra to Air France to choose our seats so I need to recoup those funds (wasn’t much but still).

Comment

They booked us on a delta flight and we actually got there three hours earlier on the same day we were scheduled to leave. However it wasn’t direct and we didn’t get to sit together on either flight (SFO-LAX, LAX-CDG). We had paid extra to Air France to choose our seats so I need to recoup those funds (wasn’t much but still).
            I flew with Norwegian earlier this year. They are the Ryan Air of international travel. Super cheap but they give you nothing unless you pay for it. I mean nothing. You; do get a free carryon, so there is that.

No food, no water, no picking your seat. But I flew to Paris for $450 non stop from LAX, so who cares?

Totally recommend if you are super cheap like me. I was flying with my two oldest kids and had prepared them to have to sit all by themselves somewhere on the plane. Though when we checked in at the kiosk, we were all given seats together in the same row. Turned out awesome. Just bring a sandwich, some snacks, and buy a dr pepper in the airport and you are good to go.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
              I flew with Norwegian earlier this year. They are the Ryan Air of international travel. Super cheap but they give you nothing unless you pay for it. I mean nothing. You; do get a free carryon, so there is that.

No food, no water, no picking your seat. But I flew to Paris for $450 non stop from LAX, so who cares?

Totally recommend if you are super cheap like me. I was flying with my two oldest kids and had prepared them to have to sit all by themselves somewhere on the plane. Though when we checked in at the kiosk, we were all given seats together in the same row. Turned out awesome. Just bring a sandwich, some snacks, and buy a dr pepper in the airport and you are good to go.
              That seems like a smoking deal. We paid $750 each. The Delta flight ended up being preferable to the Air France flight for me. It seemed like an hour didn't go by that they weren't offering food or drink. Air France return flight was a much bigger plane but the rows were crammed so tightly that just sitting in the upright position was giving me claustrophobia. The food was really good on that flight too. Both flights made me wish they'd just charge us all $400 more and take out the middle seat in each row.

I've heard from several people now that Air France will randomly cancel a direct flight. That was infuriating to me.

Comment

I've heard from several people now that Air France will randomly cancel a direct flight. That was infuriating to me.
                We paid $505 for our tickets to fly out in March of next year and the return trip is on Air France. It’s a direct flight, which is why I booked it...well other than the screaming offer.

If you travel to Europe in an off period, there really is no reason to pay more than $600 per ticket unless you really need to fly on certain flights.
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

We paid $505 for our tickets to fly out in March of next year and the return trip is on Air France. It’s a direct flight, which is why I booked it...well other than the screaming offer.

If you travel to Europe in an off period, there really is no reason to pay more than $600 per ticket unless you really need to fly on certain flights.
                  Ours were also less than 6. This was far and away our favorite tourist activity in Paris:
                  https://parolesdefromagers.com/en/

Comment

• Originally posted by Babs View Post
                    Ours were also less than 6. This was far and away our favorite tourist activity in Paris:
                    Blessed are the cheesemakers
                    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Originally posted by Babs View Post
                      That sounds fun. We love to pick up a selection of gourmet cheeses and host cheese parties.

We were in Paris in June and this was our favorite find:

https://www.lapascade.com/en
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        That sounds fun. We love to pick up a selection of gourmet cheeses and host cheese parties.

We were in Paris in June and this was our favorite find:

https://www.lapascade.com/en

This is why when we go back to France in the future, we will spend a minimal amount of time in Paris—the two are not the same thing. There are just too many Americans in Paris, for the city to be considered French.

Comment

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                          This is why when we go back to France in the future, we will spend a minimal amount of time in Paris—the two are not the same thing. There are just too many Americans in Paris, for the city to be considered French.
                          Dude, that is an awfully rude thing to say about Babs and me.

Comment

You're missing the beauty of the post; his comment is so incredibly French.

It's also wrong. Paris has never been France just like New York has never been America (If it were, Charles Kurault would never have had a career or a motorhome). Paris is fabulous and no amount of Americans or Russians or even french will ever ruin it. Moreover, its not that hard to avoid the tourists assuming you want to pretend that you're something you're not.
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                              You're missing the beauty of the post; his comment is so incredibly French.

It's also wrong. Paris has never been France just like New York has never been America (If it were, Charles Kurault would never have had a career or a motorhome). Paris is fabulous and no amount of Americans or Russians or even french will ever ruin it. Moreover, its not that hard to avoid the tourists assuming you want to pretend that you're something you're not.
                              You beat me to it. I was just laughing to myself that he is more arrogant than the native Parisians. (who are remarkably kind and gracious people in my experience)

Comment

It's the whole lot of ya ... but, yes it is a little rude, I'm sorry.

It's just the last time I was there (2 years ago) there were just so many obnoxious Americans milling about. They were worse than the Brits.

Comment

Working...
                                X