Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Paris (France) travel tips/suggestions... with kids

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    Yup. Europe, and basically the rest of the world, do "chip and PIN" while the US is still stuck on "mag stripe and signature", although we're slowly upgrading to "chip and signature". The entire signature thing is so stupid. Nobody validates it, nobody looks at, it offers no security at all and is basically just a big stupid wasteful hassle that we in the US continue out of "tradition". (The USA-hater Walter Sobchak should focus his ire on our country's electronic payment industry, then he would really have a legitimate beef)

When I go out of the country I always make sure I use my credit cards with no foreign transaction fees and that I know the PIN for them.
    Agree. But wait, how do you find out your PIN. Will the back just supply it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Come on, KL. Everyone should get the chance to go to the top of the Eiffel Tower once.
    Under the best of circumstances I am a skinflint while traveling; in this case I am even more so because one of my sisters insisted (INSISTED!) that we stay in a manor in the Cotswolds for the second part of our trip. I do all the planning because I love it, but it's odd the requests I have to contend with. One of my sisters wants to be instagram famous--stopping long enough to snap a photo, while my other sister doesnt bother to take pictures at all. One wants to drive a teeny car through the countryside, and the other is afraid to drive anywhere but her home state. One wants to have tea with Mr. Darby, and the other one wants to spend the day at Peppa's Pig World at Paulton's Park. Even as stingy as I am with travel budgets, I am still planning to buy a $400 scarf at House of Hermes. I was really afraid I would be outvoted and not be able to visit the Battle of Hastings--the odds didn't look good, but one of my sisters unexpectedly voted with me with unbridled enthusiasm. I had forgotten she was an English Lit major.

I'm starting to appreciate those of you who plan travel with teenagers.
    Last edited by Katy Lied; 01-30-2019 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    Under the best of circumstances I am a skinflint while traveling; in this case I am even more so because one of my sisters insisted (INSISTED!) that we stay in a manor in the Cotswolds for the second part of our trip. I do all the planning because I love it, but it's odd the requests I have to contend with. One of my sisters wants to be instagram famous--stopping long enough to snap a photo, while my other sister doesnt bother to take pictures at all. One wants to drive a teeny car through the countryside, and the other is afraid to drive anywhere but her home state. One wants to have tea with Mr. Darby, and the other one wants to spend the day at Peppa's Pig World at Paulton's Park. Even as stingy as I am with travel budgets, I am still planning to buy a $400 scarf at House of Hermes. I was really afraid I would be outvoted and not be able to visit the Battle of Hastings, and it looked dreary for me, but one of my sisters unexpectedly voted with me with unbridled enthusiasm. I had forgotten she was an English Lit major.

Ha! Ok I get it.

Sounds like an adventure. Be sure to report.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    Agree. But wait, how do you find out your PIN. Will the back just supply it?
    Depends on which bank issues your card. If your card is issued by Chase just call them up

How do I request a Personal Identification Number (PIN) for my credit card?

To request a PIN, please call us at 1-800-297-4970 and follow the instructions provided by the automated system. If you use TTY support, please call 1-800-955-8060
    Other banks will have similar processes or will allow you to set/reset it online or even in a branch.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Under the best of circumstances I am a skinflint while traveling; in this case I am even more so because one of my sisters insisted (INSISTED!) that we stay in a manor in the Cotswolds for the second part of our trip. I do all the planning because I love it, but it's odd the requests I have to contend with. One of my sisters wants to be instagram famous--stopping long enough to snap a photo, while my other sister doesnt bother to take pictures at all. One wants to drive a teeny car through the countryside, and the other is afraid to drive anywhere but her home state. One wants to have tea with Mr. Darby, and the other one wants to spend the day at Peppa's Pig World at Paulton's Park. Even as stingy as I am with travel budgets, I am still planning to buy a $400 scarf at House of Hermes. I was really afraid I would be outvoted and not be able to visit the Battle of Hastings--the odds didn't look good, but one of my sisters unexpectedly voted with me with unbridled enthusiasm. I had forgotten she was an English Lit major.

What will the second part of your trip entail? I've been working on a major trip in June during which we'll visit pretty much every area of the British Isles we haven't already hit (i.e., Kent, Cornwall, Wales and northern Scotland). Like you, I do all of the planning and I love spending many dozens, perhaps hundreds, of hours researching, planning and making reservations. Although our trip will be nearly four weeks in length, I have every day planned pretty much down to the hour (including, btw, Hastings Battlefield and Abbey), although I'm always open to spur-of-the-moment changes. The missus, meanwhile, doesn't get involved with the planning at all, essentially waiting until we step on the plane ("So, where are we going?"). But she does a superb job with the photography and coffee table book that results from each venture.

And your $400 Hermes scarf expectation pretty much redeemed the reputation damage wrought by your first comment about being a travel skinflint. It's great to cut costs whenever possible, but I insist on a few splurges each trip to add to the memories. One of our very best trips (Ireland 2017) included multi-night stays at Ashford Castle and $65/night B&Bs.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    Depends on which bank issues your card. If your card is issued by Chase just call them up

Other banks will have similar processes or will allow you to set/reset it online or even in a branch.
    Thank you. I have tried in the past, years ago when I first got a chip, and I recall then pleading ignorance as to how to help me.

Holy Cow PAC, four weeks! Wish that were I.

Im sad to miss the Chelsea Flower Show by about a week, but that isn't as critical for me. We are going to finally see Hamilton in London's West End super cheap, so there's that. I really wanted to see Come From Away, but that ticket was too expensive for us- although I would think you and your wife would enjoy it.

The other thing we want to do is see the recently excavated tunnels under Dover Cliffs from WWII. Still have to wear a hardhat and lantern, but British Heritage just opened them up to tourists.

Back to Paris, I adore Les Puces de Saint-Ouen, so a revisit is in order. Totally inappropriate for little kids. And we've engaged a professional photographer for a sunrise photo shoot with a hopefully misty morning tour eiffel backdrop.
    Last edited by Katy Lied; 01-30-2019 at 08:23 PM.

Im sad to miss the Chelsea Flower Show by about a week, but that isn't as critical for me. We are going to finally see Hamilton in London's West End super cheap, so there's that. I really wanted to see Come From Away, but that ticket was too expensive for us- although I would think you and your wife would enjoy it.

The other thing we want to do is see the recently excavated tunnels under Dover Cliffs from WWII. Still have to wear a hardhat and lantern, but British Heritage just opened them up to tourists.
    Come From Away is great
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Back to Paris, I adore Les Puces de Saint-Ouen, so a revisit is in order. Totally inappropriate for little kids. And we've engaged a professional photographer for a sunrise photo shoot with a hopefully misty morning tour eiffel backdrop.

Come From Away is great
    Welder money must be nice.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Thanks for the tip on the tunnels; that's definitely on the list. And oddly, perhaps, we're not spending even a single night in London this time around, so no West End shows, which is unfortunate as my wife just finished reading Come From Away and would love to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    Welder money must be nice.
    It was in SLC last fall at the Eccles Theater. Did not require welder money.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    What will the second part of your trip entail? I've been working on a major trip in June during which we'll visit pretty much every area of the British Isles we haven't already hit (i.e., Kent, Cornwall, Wales and northern Scotland). Like you, I do all of the planning and I love spending many dozens, perhaps hundreds, of hours researching, planning and making reservations. Although our trip will be nearly four weeks in length, I have every day planned pretty much down to the hour (including, btw, Hastings Battlefield and Abbey), although I'm always open to spur-of-the-moment changes. The missus, meanwhile, doesn't get involved with the planning at all, essentially waiting until we step on the plane ("So, where are we going?"). But she does a superb job with the photography and coffee table book that results from each venture.

And your $400 Hermes scarf expectation pretty much redeemed the reputation damage wrought by your first comment about being a travel skinflint. It's great to cut costs whenever possible, but I insist on a few splurges each trip to add to the memories. One of our very best trips (Ireland 2017) included multi-night stays at Ashford Castle and $65/night B&Bs.
    Would be interested in learning a little more about your itinerary. The wife and I are hoping to do something this spring, but we are struggling to decide on a destination. I hear that "walking tours" of Cornwall can be fun. Would also be interested in Ireland, Wales, and Scotland. Any advice? Probably looking at maybe 10 days. 14 tops.

Would be interested in learning a little more about your itinerary. The wife and I are hoping to do something this spring, but we are struggling to decide on a destination. I hear that "walking tours" of Cornwall can be fun. Would also be interested in Ireland, Wales, and Scotland. Any advice? Probably looking at maybe 10 days. 14 tops.
    I sent you our itinerary, which may be a bit more than what you're looking for here. My sense is that the the northern part of Wales has more places of interest than the south, but the missus has ancestors there so we'll spend a day or two in the area. Among the things I'm looking forward to in Scotland is a day on the Isle of Skye and a private tour of the Orkney Islands (Skara Brae has been on my must-see list for awhile).

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I sent you our itinerary, which may be a bit more than what you're looking for here. My sense is that the the northern part of Wales has more places of interest than the south, but the missus has ancestors there so we'll spend a day or two in the area. Among the things I'm looking forward to in Scotland is a day on the Isle of Skye and a private tour of the Orkney Islands (Skara Brae has been on my must-see list for awhile).
    Got it. Thank you!

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Did Notre Dame burn down?
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    It's in the process of burning down. It's bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    Its on fire, anyway.

Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Better (or worse) picture.

Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

That makes me sick. What a tragedy.

That is terrible.

This is very disturbing and saddening. I'm guessing it was a stupid mistake by the construction company that was working the roof--and now priceless artwork and icons from the 12th-14th Centuries will be lost.

It took 200 years to build just the spire.... so sad.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Quote Originally Posted by clackamascoug View Post
    It took 200 years to build just the spire.... so sad.
    Spire has collapsed.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I am very saddened by this. Watching it burn is making me tear up. I love paris and france and notre dame represents them both to me.

I am way more sad about this than I would imagine I would be. I am really glad I was able to get two of my kids there last year.

This was the highlight of my family's trip to Paris last year. We all loved the cathedral. So incredibly sad.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

A trip to Paris was on the agenda when I retired - It won't be the same now

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

My sister went to France on her mission, and has been back many times since. She is a high school French teacher and is over there right now with a group of students. She went to Notre Dame three days ago, and is pretty broken up about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
    My sister went to France on her mission, and has been back many times since. She is a high school French teacher and is over there right now with a group of students. She went to Notre Dame three days ago, and is pretty broken up about this.
    I know how she feels. I was there one month ago. I’ve been in it over 20 times and attended mass three times. I’ve climbed the bell towers at least three times. It sucks to see it burn but it seems the building and some artifacts were saved. Haven’t heard about the rose window yet.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf