Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
Results 391 to 420 of 455

Thread: Paris (France) travel tips/suggestions... with kids

  1. #391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Don’t spend all your time on ligne 1 and you’ll see the French side of Paris.
    These are new:

    'Urinoir' furore: Paris residents peeved at eco-friendly urinals

    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...iendly-urinals

    In the city of Pau, in the median on the main road into centre ville there are public urinals. Basically, you are peeing against a stone wall, open air, while cars pass on your right and left.

  2. #392
    lollygagger hostile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    5,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    These are new:

    'Urinoir' furore: Paris residents peeved at eco-friendly urinals

    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...iendly-urinals

    In the city of Pau, in the median on the main road into centre ville there are public urinals. Basically, you are peeing against a stone wall, open air, while cars pass on your right and left.
    Amsterdam welcomes you, Pau, to the 21st century.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

    "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

  3. #393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Amsterdam welcomes you, Pau, to the 21st century.
    That was Pau more than 20 years ago. There was at least once where as missionaries we had to stop and use the "facilities" as it were. I don't know if it is still there. Those new fancy "boxes" in Paris are interesting though. Talk about performance anxiety.

  4. #394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    ANd you dont think there is anything else, at all, worth seeing in Paris? I think there are more things than I could count, even if they are crawling with muricans.
    Ha. My assistant just heard me snort-laugh and asked if I was choking. (I had no idea until now that she's been trained in Heimlich...good to know...)

  5. #395

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    Ha. My assistant just heard me snort-laugh and asked if I was choking. (I had no idea until now that she's been trained in Heimlich...good to know...)
    I see now that you are a lawyer (my assumption), you've got all kinds of time to spend on these here message boards.

    Somebodies gotta add a little French to this conversation about Paris, France. Or next thing the bonobo is gonna tell us is that Euro Disney is a can't miss also!
    Last edited by tooblue; 08-14-2018 at 09:41 AM.

  6. #396
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    22,112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    I see now that now you are a lawyer (my assumption), you've got all kinds of time to spend on these here message boards.

    Somebodies gotta add a little French to this conversation about Paris, France. Or next thing the bonobo is gonna tell us is that Euro Disney is a can't miss also!
    That’s a low blow. I have never been, nor would I ever go, to Disney Europe.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  7. #397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    That’s a low blow. I have never been, nor would I ever go, to Disney Europe.
    That was a low blow. I'll do better in the future

  8. #398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    I see now that you are a [government] lawyer, you've got all kinds of time to spend on these here message boards.
    Fixed it for you.

  9. #399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    Fixed it for you.
    Ah, sucking on the tax payers teet ... welcome to the club.

  10. #400
    Senior Member SteelBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    FarNorCal
    Posts
    6,498

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    We paid $505 for our tickets to fly out in March of next year and the return trip is on Air France. It’s a direct flight, which is why I booked it...well other than the screaming offer.

    If you travel to Europe in an off period, there really is no reason to pay more than $600 per ticket unless you really need to fly on certain flights.
    Off period wasn't an option for me. I bought our tickets 6 months in advance. By the time July rolled around I saw them for around $1300 so I was feeling pretty good about our price. I hope to take advantage of the off months in the future.

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    Paris is fabulous and no amount of Americans or Russians or even french will ever ruin it. Moreover, its not that hard to avoid the tourists assuming you want to pretend that you're something you're not.
    Perfectly stated.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    You beat me to it. I was just laughing to myself that he is more arrogant than the native Parisians. (who are remarkably kind and gracious people in my experience)
    This was overwhelmingly our experience as well.

  11. #401
    Senior Member SteelBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    FarNorCal
    Posts
    6,498

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    There is so much to see and do in Paris that I can not agree here. You can't even get through the Louvre in a day and a half (assuming you want to do it in a meaningful way). Paris would be great for a month. Provence would be great for a month. It all depends on what you want.
    Sorry to double post but I missed this one. I could easily do Paris for a month, what a dream that'd be. But I mostly quote this to talk about the Louvre. So, my wife was in a boot after being in a cast for 8 weeks (broke her foot playing volleyball and we thought we were going to lose the trip) which really slowed us down walking wise. Turned out to be a bit of a blessing though as it made any kind of whirlwind schedule impossible. Losing the pressure to see as much as we could, we had the luxury of just feeling and enjoying. I had hoped the Louvre would be one of the most memorable parts of the trip and it was but for the wrong reasons.

    Her boot got us in at the front of the line and so we had zero wait. We were enjoying taking our time at each piece and then the place started filling up. No problem, that was expected. What I hadn't calculated was that nobody wants to see with their eyes anymore. Nearly everyone moved from piece to piece taking a pic and then moving on. Fine for them, but incredibly annoying to me when I'd finally be in front of say, a Van Gogh, I'd have a hand reach in front of me for a quick snap. This was constant and I just couldn't fathom it. Why snap a pic of a painting when they're all on Google and better than yours? Why would you not want to sit and look at the real thing? Mind boggling.

    After a few hours I gave up on getting to spend any meaningful time with the pieces I'd wanted to see and I just accepted getting bounced and jostled by phones. Such a disappointment though to be in that magnificent place and not get to take my time or have any kind of space respected.

  12. #402
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    21,690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
    Sorry to double post but I missed this one. I could easily do Paris for a month, what a dream that'd be. But I mostly quote this to talk about the Louvre. So, my wife was in a boot after being in a cast for 8 weeks (broke her foot playing volleyball and we thought we were going to lose the trip) which really slowed us down walking wise. Turned out to be a bit of a blessing though as it made any kind of whirlwind schedule impossible. Losing the pressure to see as much as we could, we had the luxury of just feeling and enjoying. I had hoped the Louvre would be one of the most memorable parts of the trip and it was but for the wrong reasons.

    Her boot got us in at the front of the line and so we had zero wait. We were enjoying taking our time at each piece and then the place started filling up. No problem, that was expected. What I hadn't calculated was that nobody wants to see with their eyes anymore. Nearly everyone moved from piece to piece taking a pic and then moving on. Fine for them, but incredibly annoying to me when I'd finally be in front of say, a Van Gogh, I'd have a hand reach in front of me for a quick snap. This was constant and I just couldn't fathom it. Why snap a pic of a painting when they're all on Google and better than yours? Why would you not want to sit and look at the real thing? Mind boggling.

    After a few hours I gave up on getting to spend any meaningful time with the pieces I'd wanted to see and I just accepted getting bounced and jostled by phones. Such a disappointment though to be in that magnificent place and not get to take my time or have any kind of space respected.
    I know you couldn’t avoid the busier times, so this isn’t me trying to say you did anything wrong. But my favorite time in France is early May. The crowds are much smaller (most large groups are French kids on field trips), the weather is spectacular, and plane fares are much lower.

    I spent a summer in Versailles and it was brutal for crowds (we often went to the gardens on p day) and also spent many summer p days in Paris. Summer crowds are brutal. I once went up the Eiffel Tower with MJ and it took two hours to get to the top and t was shoulder to shoulder up there. I’ve also been up there in the off season when it’s me and a handful of other people. I’ve also been in the Orsay when it was just me and MJ I’m pretty much any room we went into. It was awesome.

    We’ll be there in March and while I don’t like the early spring weather, I think my kids will have a great time without the crazy crowds.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  13. #403
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    49,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
    Sorry to double post but I missed this one. I could easily do Paris for a month, what a dream that'd be. But I mostly quote this to talk about the Louvre. So, my wife was in a boot after being in a cast for 8 weeks (broke her foot playing volleyball and we thought we were going to lose the trip) which really slowed us down walking wise. Turned out to be a bit of a blessing though as it made any kind of whirlwind schedule impossible. Losing the pressure to see as much as we could, we had the luxury of just feeling and enjoying. I had hoped the Louvre would be one of the most memorable parts of the trip and it was but for the wrong reasons.

    Her boot got us in at the front of the line and so we had zero wait. We were enjoying taking our time at each piece and then the place started filling up. No problem, that was expected. What I hadn't calculated was that nobody wants to see with their eyes anymore. Nearly everyone moved from piece to piece taking a pic and then moving on. Fine for them, but incredibly annoying to me when I'd finally be in front of say, a Van Gogh, I'd have a hand reach in front of me for a quick snap. This was constant and I just couldn't fathom it. Why snap a pic of a painting when they're all on Google and better than yours? Why would you not want to sit and look at the real thing? Mind boggling.

    After a few hours I gave up on getting to spend any meaningful time with the pieces I'd wanted to see and I just accepted getting bounced and jostled by phones. Such a disappointment though to be in that magnificent place and not get to take my time or have any kind of space respected.
    Yeah, that drives me nuts too. We went to the Van Gogh museum and I was very happy to the "No photos allowed" sign at the entrance. But people tried to do it anyway. I just don't get it.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  14. #404
    Huge Member BigPiney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    6,052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
    Sorry to double post but I missed this one. I could easily do Paris for a month, what a dream that'd be. But I mostly quote this to talk about the Louvre. So, my wife was in a boot after being in a cast for 8 weeks (broke her foot playing volleyball and we thought we were going to lose the trip) which really slowed us down walking wise. Turned out to be a bit of a blessing though as it made any kind of whirlwind schedule impossible. Losing the pressure to see as much as we could, we had the luxury of just feeling and enjoying. I had hoped the Louvre would be one of the most memorable parts of the trip and it was but for the wrong reasons.

    Her boot got us in at the front of the line and so we had zero wait. We were enjoying taking our time at each piece and then the place started filling up. No problem, that was expected. What I hadn't calculated was that nobody wants to see with their eyes anymore. Nearly everyone moved from piece to piece taking a pic and then moving on. Fine for them, but incredibly annoying to me when I'd finally be in front of say, a Van Gogh, I'd have a hand reach in front of me for a quick snap. This was constant and I just couldn't fathom it. Why snap a pic of a painting when they're all on Google and better than yours? Why would you not want to sit and look at the real thing? Mind boggling.

    After a few hours I gave up on getting to spend any meaningful time with the pieces I'd wanted to see and I just accepted getting bounced and jostled by phones. Such a disappointment though to be in that magnificent place and not get to take my time or have any kind of space respected.
    My parents are serving in Paris. They bought a year pass to the Louvre. They head there on saturdays first thing and spend a couple hours in one small section. They said it has been great.

    They haven't been going as much now as they have spent the last few weeks in the Versailles gardens and other nice summer spots.

  15. #405
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    21,690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    We paid $505 for our tickets to fly out in March of next year and the return trip is on Air France. It’s a direct flight, which is why I booked it...well other than the screaming offer.

    If you travel to Europe in an off period, there really is no reason to pay more than $600 per ticket unless you really need to fly on certain flights.
    I just checked my tickets today. I originally had an outgoing flight with a 4 hour layover in Cincinnati. Delta cancelled all flights to Cincinnati except for one that lands at 9pm that night, which is a problem since we are supposed to take off from Cincinnati at 6pm.

    I called their reservations number hoping they had an earlier flight. The rep on the line couldn’t find one so he offered to put us on a direct flight that lands pretty much at the same time. So now I have a direct flight out and back and only paid the original $505 for tickets.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  16. #406
    𐐐𐐄𐐢𐐆𐐤𐐝 𐐓𐐅 𐐜 𐐢𐐃𐐡𐐔 Uncle Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Where ∑ ★ = 1
    Posts
    20,808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    I just checked my tickets today. I originally had an outgoing flight with a 4 hour layover in Cincinnati. Delta cancelled all flights to Cincinnati except for one that lands at 9pm that night, which is a problem since we are supposed to take off from Cincinnati at 6pm.

    I called their reservations number hoping they had an earlier flight. The rep on the line couldn’t find one so he offered to put us on a direct flight that lands pretty much at the same time. So now I have a direct flight out and back and only paid the original $505 for tickets.
    Seems like a great time to visit France! Be sure to pack your yellow vest.

    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  17. #407
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    21,690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Seems like a great time to visit France! Be sure to pack your yellow vest.

    It’s their annual protest. It’ll be nice to get it over with now so things will be good in the spring.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  18. #408
    Senior Member Katy Lied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Center of the Salt Lake Valley
    Posts
    8,761

    Default

    Going there in a few months with my sisters. Sorry I havent read through the entire thread, but I could use some advice on a few things:

    Regarding transport, we are staying in the 1 arondisement so walking a lot and will only be leaving city center for our trip from CDG Airport, and another day to Versailles. I'd like to try and save money, so would like to skip the Visite Card and just buy those carnets of 10 trips for 14,50. They are good anywhere in zones 1-3 on metro or tram, bus, etc. Are the tickets good for any continual distance? (Do they include transfers? Or are they good from when you trip the turnstile in to when you exit the station?)

    I have been to the top of the Eiffel Tower before, but Ive talked my sisters out of it. It is super crowded and you dont really get a good shot from the top due to all the bars and the crowds. I am thinking of going to the Montparnasse Tower instead, which has floor to ceiling glass walls, and is not crowded. Plus it looks like I can get a great shot of the Eiffel Tower from there. Has anyone done this? What is your opinion?

    We are going on a 6-hour food porn tour whereinwhich you bicycle around the city and stop and eat at multiple specialty places. Has anyone tried this? Opinions?
    Last edited by Katy Lied; 01-27-2019 at 10:55 PM.

  19. #409
    Senior Member SteelBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    FarNorCal
    Posts
    6,498

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    Going there in a few months with my sisters. Sorry I havent read through the entire thread, but I could use some advice on a few things:

    Regarding transport, we are staying in the 1 arondisement so walking a lot and will only be leaving city center for our trip from CDG Airport, and another day to Versailles. I'd like to try and save money, so would like to skip the Visite Card and just buy those carnets of 10 trips for 14,50. They are good anywhere in zones 1-3 on metro or tram, bus, etc. Are the tickets good for any continual distance? (Do they include transfers? Or are they good from when you trip the turnstile in to when you exit the station?)

    I have been to the top of the Eiffel Tower before, but Ive talked my sisters out of it. It is super crowded and you dont really get a good shot from the top due to all the bars and the crowds. I am thinking of going to the Montparnasse Tower instead, which has floor to ceiling glass walls, and is not crowded. Plus it looks like I can get a great shot of the Eiffel Tower from there. Has anyone done this? What is your opinion?

    We are going on a 6-hour food porn tour whereinwhich you bicycle around the city and stop and eat at multiple specialty places. Has anyone tried this? Opinions?
    I was there in July of last summer. We had the 1 week pass that is included in the Paris Pass for the Metro so I can't help you on that question. We did not go to the top of the Eiffel Tower (wife was healing from a foot fracture and was in a boot) and did not feel we missed out at all. Not sure if you've been since the terror attacks, but security measures slow things down at all the major sites now. We did do Montparnasse and really liked it. There are two spots to get great views and pictures. We thought we were at the top in a glass room with 360 views, but you can actually climb up one more floor to the roof where there are couches, overpriced food and drink and even better views. We went up in the day but I'd love to see that same view at night (not sure if that's even an option but it would be cool).

    Edit: Here’s a pic of the tower from Montparnasse. I have no idea why pics get so distorted when I post from my phone these days.
    5EAB8D94-DCA6-486B-99CC-B9CB01ADA306.jpg
    Last edited by SteelBlue; 01-28-2019 at 07:12 AM.

  20. #410
    Huge Member BigPiney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    6,052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
    I was there in July of last summer. We had the 1 week pass that is included in the Paris Pass for the Metro so I can't help you on that question. We did not go to the top of the Eiffel Tower (wife was healing from a foot fracture and was in a boot) and did not feel we missed out at all. Not sure if you've been since the terror attacks, but security measures slow things down at all the major sites now. We did do Montparnasse and really liked it. There are two spots to get great views and pictures. We thought we were at the top in a glass room with 360 views, but you can actually climb up one more floor to the roof where there are couches, overpriced food and drink and even better views. We went up in the day but I'd love to see that same view at night (not sure if that's even an option but it would be cool).

    Edit: Here’s a pic of the tower from Montparnasse. I have no idea why pics get so distorted when I post from my phone these days.
    5EAB8D94-DCA6-486B-99CC-B9CB01ADA306.jpg
    My parents claim that the Parisians say that the best views of paris are from Monparnasse, but only because you can't see the montparnasse tower from there. That and sacre coeur do have the best views.

    Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    Going there in a few months with my sisters. Sorry I havent read through the entire thread, but I could use some advice on a few things:

    Regarding transport, we are staying in the 1 arondisement so walking a lot and will only be leaving city center for our trip from CDG Airport, and another day to Versailles. I'd like to try and save money, so would like to skip the Visite Card and just buy those carnets of 10 trips for 14,50. They are good anywhere in zones 1-3 on metro or tram, bus, etc. Are the tickets good for any continual distance? (Do they include transfers? Or are they good from when you trip the turnstile in to when you exit the station?)
    When I was there last spring, we got the Navigo pass. https://www.ratp.fr/en/titres-et-tar...-travel-passes

    This is the best deal and it gives you freedom to get around and covers versilles. Only issue is that the week goes from monday morning to Sat midnight, so take that into account, but it looks like if you have a pass it covers every weekend.

    you only need a smaller than passport picture and can get it at pretty much any station.

  21. #411
    Senior Member Katy Lied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Center of the Salt Lake Valley
    Posts
    8,761

    Default

    There is a Day-and-Night ticket for the Montparnasse Tower; it's 5 euros more than the one time pass. You can go to the tower 2 times in a 48-hour span, designed to catch day and night.

    I read that the Navigo pass is really designed for locals and they want the tourists to pay for the overpriced visite pass. They can't keep tourists from buying a Navigo, but they hassle them enough to discourage tourists from using these passes, especially if not fluent in french...

    Anyone else know about the ten carnet paper booklet? sometimes called t-1 tickets?

  22. #412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    Going there in a few months with my sisters. Sorry I havent read through the entire thread, but I could use some advice on a few things:

    Regarding transport, we are staying in the 1 arondisement so walking a lot and will only be leaving city center for our trip from CDG Airport, and another day to Versailles. I'd like to try and save money, so would like to skip the Visite Card and just buy those carnets of 10 trips for 14,50. They are good anywhere in zones 1-3 on metro or tram, bus, etc. Are the tickets good for any continual distance? (Do they include transfers? Or are they good from when you trip the turnstile in to when you exit the station?)

    I have been to the top of the Eiffel Tower before, but Ive talked my sisters out of it. It is super crowded and you dont really get a good shot from the top due to all the bars and the crowds. I am thinking of going to the Montparnasse Tower instead, which has floor to ceiling glass walls, and is not crowded. Plus it looks like I can get a great shot of the Eiffel Tower from there. Has anyone done this? What is your opinion?

    We are going on a 6-hour food porn tour whereinwhich you bicycle around the city and stop and eat at multiple specialty places. Has anyone tried this? Opinions?
    I'd just buy the carnets of 10 trips if it were me. If one of your travellers has never been in the Louvre then you have to got to the Louvre, but for my money and time I prefer the Musée d'Orsay: you can go to the top floor, to the cafeteria and then out on the roof. You get a spectacular view of the Seine, and the city from there.

  23. #413
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    49,240

    Default

    Come on, KL. Everyone should get the chance to go to the top of the Eiffel Tower once.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  24. #414
    Royal Rooter Green Monstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Oilpatch
    Posts
    10,575

    Default

    It was too cold for bike tours when we were there. The 10 tickets ended up being a great deal. If you take the train to Versailles, you have to buy another ticket, but all in, it’s like 4 euro to get to the palace.

    My wife was 7 months pregnant, so w eu weed a lot when we first got there, but google maps ended up making using the Metro super easy.

    My favorite was the Cathedral of Notre Dame. We had a 1 hour tour, but I wish I would have done a better tour.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

  25. #415
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    21,690

    Default

    The best views of Paris are from the top of Notre Dame. The views from Sacre Coeur are nice but you are far away from the center and there’s always trees in the way,
    At least from the steps.

    Montparnasse tower has great views but you are fairly high up. It makes for a nice view at sunset, though. Le Ciel is the restaurant on the top of the tower and if you aren’t on a budget, it’s nice to sit next to the window and watch the sunset on the Eiffel Tower as you eat creme brulee.

    The 10 carnet packet is great for getting around if you aren’t going to take a bunch of separate trips. Once you are in the metro turnstile, you can go anywhere on the metro without exiting the turnstile. I’m not sure if you can use the same ticket to then hop on a bus, but no one takes the busses in Paris because the metro is so easy. The Navigo option is better, IMO. You should be able to buy them from a machine (these machines are all over in the major stations), thus eliminating the annoyance of buying from a ticket agent.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  26. #416
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    49,240

    Default

    Prepare for rail strikes!
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  27. #417
    Huge Member BigPiney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    6,052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Prepare for rail strikes!
    not just rail, but metro too.

    My parents and my in-laws were going to the Rodin museum on saturday and had to get off the metro on the champs by l'etoile due to the yellow vests. They ended up having to walk to the museum form there. No big deal really. What they said was cool was that the champs was closed off due to the protests, so they were able to take a great picture of the arc de triomphe from the middle of the road without the fear of being hit by a car.

  28. #418
    Royal Rooter Green Monstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Oilpatch
    Posts
    10,575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    There is a Day-and-Night ticket for the Montparnasse Tower; it's 5 euros more than the one time pass. You can go to the tower 2 times in a 48-hour span, designed to catch day and night.

    I read that the Navigo pass is really designed for locals and they want the tourists to pay for the overpriced visite pass. They can't keep tourists from buying a Navigo, but they hassle them enough to discourage tourists from using these passes, especially if not fluent in french...

    Anyone else know about the ten carnet paper booklet? sometimes called t-1 tickets?
    We also used the batobus on the Seine. It was a nice way to hop on/off at the key tourist attractions near the river for a day.

    I bought the ten-pack metro tickets at the electronic kiosk in every metro station. It looks like an ATM machine. My only word of advice is to use cash at the kiosk. I tried using my credit card, and it asked me for my credit card's pin number (I didn't know my CC had a pin), so I had to use cash.

    Assuming the metro is open and working, there's no reason no to use it to get around.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

  29. #419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    We also used the batobus on the Seine. It was a nice way to hop on/off at the key tourist attractions near the river for a day.

    I bought the ten-pack metro tickets at the electronic kiosk in every metro station. It looks like an ATM machine. My only word of advice is to use cash at the kiosk. I tried using my credit card, and it asked me for my credit card's pin number (I didn't know my CC had a pin), so I had to use cash.

    Assuming the metro is open and working, there's no reason no to use it to get around.
    I wonder if this is a European thing, and maybe it's a good idea to establish/memorize your credit card pins before travelling there, just in case you run into that.

  30. #420
    Senior Member BigFatMeanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South Jordan, UT
    Posts
    2,838

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    I wonder if this is a European thing, and maybe it's a good idea to establish/memorize your credit card pins before travelling there, just in case you run into that.
    Yup. Europe, and basically the rest of the world, do "chip and PIN" while the US is still stuck on "mag stripe and signature", although we're slowly upgrading to "chip and signature". The entire signature thing is so stupid. Nobody validates it, nobody looks at, it offers no security at all and is basically just a big stupid wasteful hassle that we in the US continue out of "tradition". (The USA-hater Walter Sobchak should focus his ire on our country's electronic payment industry, then he would really have a legitimate beef)

    When I go out of the country I always make sure I use my credit cards with no foreign transaction fees and that I know the PIN for them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •