Paris (France) travel tips/suggestions... with kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
    You're missing the beauty of the post; his comment is so incredibly French.

It's also wrong. Paris has never been France just like New York has never been America (If it were, Charles Kurault would never have had a career or a motorhome). Paris is fabulous and no amount of Americans or Russians or even french will ever ruin it. Moreover, its not that hard to avoid the tourists assuming you want to pretend that you're something you're not.
    Just like Dallas is not Texas! And there is nothing wrong about what I said. Paris is good for a day, or day and a half. The rest of France is great for a week, month or more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      You beat me to it. I was just laughing to myself that he is more arrogant than the native Parisians. (who are remarkably kind and gracious people in my experience)
      I agree strongly with the parenthetical. If one shuns the Ugly American stereotype (loud and abrasive demands for service, with the implicit assumption that everyone speaks 'merican), and instead asks humbly for help, the French, like most furriners, tend to fall all over themselves wanting to assist. My wife is greatly entertained when I try to speak a little French (my vocabulary count barely gets into double digits), because I usually get long and enthusiastic responses that I rarely understand. I just nod enthusiastically, recognizing I may be incurring large debts or worse. "Oui!", "Non!," and especially "Desole!" comprise the bulk of my side of the conversation. Man, I love France.

Comment

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post
        Just like Dallas is not Texas! And there is nothing wrong about what I said. Paris is good for a day, or day and a half. The rest of France is great for a week, month or more.
        There is so much to see and do in Paris that I can not agree here. You can't even get through the Louvre in a day and a half (assuming you want to do it in a meaningful way). Paris would be great for a month. Provence would be great for a month. It all depends on what you want.
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
          I agree strongly with the parenthetical. If one shuns the Ugly American stereotype (loud and abrasive demands for service, with the implicit assumption that everyone speaks 'merican), and instead asks humbly for help, the French, like most furriners, tend to fall all over themselves wanting to assist. My wife is greatly entertained when I try to speak a little French (my vocabulary count barely gets into double digits), because I usually get long and enthusiastic responses that I rarely understand. I just nod enthusiastically, recognizing I may be incurring large debts or worse. "Oui!", "Non!," and especially "Desole!" comprise the bulk of my side of the conversation. Man, I love France.
          It is a wonderful city. Let's just agree that Canadians are the worst and declare victory in this thread.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

It is a wonderful city. Let's just agree that Canadians are the worst and declare victory in this thread.
            I disagree. Canadians can't be the worst. It's not possible when they are constantly apologizing all the time. Trust me, I've lived among them a loooong time.

Comment

There is so much to see and do in Paris that I can not agree here. You can't even get through the Louvre in a day and a half (assuming you want to do it in a meaningful way). Paris would be great for a month. Provence would be great for a month. It all depends on what you want.
              Yes, there is an awful lot to see. I just want France, when I travel to France. And for my time and money, the Musee D'orsay is worth a day and a half.

Comment

I disagree. Canadians can't be the worst. It's not possible when they are constantly apologizing all the time. Trust me, I've lived among them a loooong time.
                Have you seen this? One of my favorite Family Guy clips.

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                  lol. As the day I returned from my mission retreats into the mists of time I find that my french vocabulary is likewise shrinking. The problem is that I can still rip off some phrases, such as the sorts of questions you would ask people over and over in door approaches about the weather, etc., and I can do it with pretty good speed and a fair 'quois accent. This often leads to a similarly rapid response and these days I am then usually lost. I pull out the key words I understood, guess at the overall meaning, and keep going. I am wrong as often as I am correct.

I have to disagree just a little about whether Parisians are gracious and kind. It's a big city. The locals are like big city locals almost everywhere. They are usually in a hurry. They dislike incompetence. And the public servants rarely muster much effort to actually serve the public. That said, if you make even SOME effort to speak French they are usually putty in your hands. But, you know what? New Yorkers are sort of like this, as are most locals in most first world large cities. Don't be a jerk or a dope and people tend to be pretty decent.
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Yes, there is an awful lot to see. I just want France, when I travel to France. And for my time and money, the Musee D'orsay is worth a day and a half.
                    There you go. Just a single museum. ANd you dont think there is anything else, at all, worth seeing in Paris? I think there are more things than I could count, even if they are crawling with muricans.
                    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

lol. As the day I returned from my mission retreats into the mists of time I find that my french vocabulary is likewise shrinking. The problem is that I can still rip off some phrases, such as the sorts of questions you would ask people over and over in door approaches about the weather, etc., and I can do it with pretty good speed and a fair 'quois accent. This often leads to a similarly rapid response and these days I am then usually lost. I pull out the key words I understood, guess at the overall meaning, and keep going. I am wrong as often as I am correct.

I have to disagree just a little about whether Parisians are gracious and kind. It's a big city. The locals are like big city locals almost everywhere. They are usually in a hurry. They dislike incompetence. And the public servants rarely muster much effort to actually serve the public. That said, if you make even SOME effort to speak French they are usually putty in your hands. But, you know what? New Yorkers are sort of like this, as are most locals in most first world large cities. Don't be a jerk or a dope and people tend to be pretty decent.
                      My first day in France years ago we were standing in the airport looking at a map trying to figure out how to take public transportation to our hotel. Some random French lady walked up and said, "Can I help you?". Maybe I haven't had to deal with too many public servants, but I have rarely encountered rude people there. Unless you are walking in the bike lane or doing something dumb like that.

They do smoke way too much. I will admit that is annoying.

Comment

My first day in France years ago we were standing in the airport looking at a map trying to figure out how to take public transportation to our hotel. Some random French lady walked up and said, "Can I help you?". Maybe I haven't had to deal with too many public servants, but I have rarely encountered rude people there. Unless you are walking in the bike lane or doing something dumb like that.

They do smoke way too much. I will admit that is annoying.
                        Well, sure, the French can feel sorry for confused and helpless people too. Or maybe she was trying to set you up for a pick pocketing. But, kidding aside, I am not surprised to hear this anecdote.
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

There you go. Just a single museum. ANd you dont think there is anything else, at all, worth seeing in Paris? I think there are more things than I could count, even if they are crawling with muricans.
                          Paris has it's own hi-line, or Promenade Plantée, which is obviously much older than the hi-line in New York. It's lovely. There is also something sublime about eating a crépe bought from a street vendor and eating it among the sparrows in the gardens of the Musee Cluny. Also, it's worth going and finding a pick-up game of soccer near the Tomb of Napoleon, or visiting the Musee Rodin and then finding a quiet, non touristy cafe to eat at for dinner.
                          Last edited by tooblue; 08-13-2018, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Have you seen this? One of my favorite Family Guy clips.

Comment

It's the whole lot of ya ... but, yes it is a little rude, I'm sorry.

It's just the last time I was there (2 years ago) there were just so many obnoxious Americans milling about. They were worse than the Brits.
                              Don’t spend all your time on ligne 1 and you’ll see the French side of Paris.
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Ha, at least you had the benefit of the French-speaking mission experience and I'm sure your skills, though fading, are vastly superior to anything I could ever muster. I've tried to maintain my mission German skilz, and have thought that, speaking of stereotypes, if the French were ever to abuse me, I could start shouting in German (I'd probably go with the opening lines of the A Voice from the Dust video--content wouldn't matter, I'd guess), trusting my Gallic assailant would cower in fear and surrender. Happily, I haven't had to play that card, but it's there in my hip pocket.

Comment

Working...
                                X