Paris (France) travel tips/suggestions... with kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
    Don’t spend all your time on ligne 1 and you’ll see the French side of Paris.
    These are new:

'Urinoir' furore: Paris residents peeved at eco-friendly urinals

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...iendly-urinals

In the city of Pau, in the median on the main road into centre ville there are public urinals. Basically, you are peeing against a stone wall, open air, while cars pass on your right and left.

Comment

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post
      These are new:

'Urinoir' furore: Paris residents peeved at eco-friendly urinals

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...iendly-urinals

In the city of Pau, in the median on the main road into centre ville there are public urinals. Basically, you are peeing against a stone wall, open air, while cars pass on your right and left.
      Amsterdam welcomes you, Pau, to the 21st century.
      "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Originally posted by hostile View Post
        Amsterdam welcomes you, Pau, to the 21st century.
        That was Pau more than 20 years ago. There was at least once where as missionaries we had to stop and use the "facilities" as it were. I don't know if it is still there. Those new fancy "boxes" in Paris are interesting though. Talk about performance anxiety.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
          ANd you dont think there is anything else, at all, worth seeing in Paris? I think there are more things than I could count, even if they are crawling with muricans.
          Ha. My assistant just heard me snort-laugh and asked if I was choking. (I had no idea until now that she's been trained in Heimlich...good to know...)

Comment

• Originally posted by Babs View Post
            Ha. My assistant just heard me snort-laugh and asked if I was choking. (I had no idea until now that she's been trained in Heimlich...good to know...)
            I see now that you are a lawyer (my assumption), you've got all kinds of time to spend on these here message boards.

Somebodies gotta add a little French to this conversation about Paris, France. Or next thing the bonobo is gonna tell us is that Euro Disney is a can't miss also!
            Last edited by tooblue; 08-14-2018, 09:41 AM.

Comment

I see now that now you are a lawyer (my assumption), you've got all kinds of time to spend on these here message boards.

Somebodies gotta add a little French to this conversation about Paris, France. Or next thing the bonobo is gonna tell us is that Euro Disney is a can't miss also!
              That’s a low blow. I have never been, nor would I ever go, to Disney Europe.
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

That’s a low blow. I have never been, nor would I ever go, to Disney Europe.
                That was a low blow. I'll do better in the future

Comment

I see now that you are a [government] lawyer, you've got all kinds of time to spend on these here message boards.
                  Fixed it for you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Babs View Post
                    Fixed it for you.
                    Ah, sucking on the tax payers teet ... welcome to the club.

Comment

We paid $505 for our tickets to fly out in March of next year and the return trip is on Air France. It’s a direct flight, which is why I booked it...well other than the screaming offer.

If you travel to Europe in an off period, there really is no reason to pay more than $600 per ticket unless you really need to fly on certain flights.
                      Off period wasn't an option for me. I bought our tickets 6 months in advance. By the time July rolled around I saw them for around $1300 so I was feeling pretty good about our price. I hope to take advantage of the off months in the future.

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                      Paris is fabulous and no amount of Americans or Russians or even french will ever ruin it. Moreover, its not that hard to avoid the tourists assuming you want to pretend that you're something you're not.
                      Perfectly stated.

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      You beat me to it. I was just laughing to myself that he is more arrogant than the native Parisians. (who are remarkably kind and gracious people in my experience)
                      This was overwhelmingly our experience as well.

Comment

There is so much to see and do in Paris that I can not agree here. You can't even get through the Louvre in a day and a half (assuming you want to do it in a meaningful way). Paris would be great for a month. Provence would be great for a month. It all depends on what you want.
                        Sorry to double post but I missed this one. I could easily do Paris for a month, what a dream that'd be. But I mostly quote this to talk about the Louvre. So, my wife was in a boot after being in a cast for 8 weeks (broke her foot playing volleyball and we thought we were going to lose the trip) which really slowed us down walking wise. Turned out to be a bit of a blessing though as it made any kind of whirlwind schedule impossible. Losing the pressure to see as much as we could, we had the luxury of just feeling and enjoying. I had hoped the Louvre would be one of the most memorable parts of the trip and it was but for the wrong reasons.

Her boot got us in at the front of the line and so we had zero wait. We were enjoying taking our time at each piece and then the place started filling up. No problem, that was expected. What I hadn't calculated was that nobody wants to see with their eyes anymore. Nearly everyone moved from piece to piece taking a pic and then moving on. Fine for them, but incredibly annoying to me when I'd finally be in front of say, a Van Gogh, I'd have a hand reach in front of me for a quick snap. This was constant and I just couldn't fathom it. Why snap a pic of a painting when they're all on Google and better than yours? Why would you not want to sit and look at the real thing? Mind boggling.

After a few hours I gave up on getting to spend any meaningful time with the pieces I'd wanted to see and I just accepted getting bounced and jostled by phones. Such a disappointment though to be in that magnificent place and not get to take my time or have any kind of space respected.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                          Sorry to double post but I missed this one. I could easily do Paris for a month, what a dream that'd be. But I mostly quote this to talk about the Louvre. So, my wife was in a boot after being in a cast for 8 weeks (broke her foot playing volleyball and we thought we were going to lose the trip) which really slowed us down walking wise. Turned out to be a bit of a blessing though as it made any kind of whirlwind schedule impossible. Losing the pressure to see as much as we could, we had the luxury of just feeling and enjoying. I had hoped the Louvre would be one of the most memorable parts of the trip and it was but for the wrong reasons.

Her boot got us in at the front of the line and so we had zero wait. We were enjoying taking our time at each piece and then the place started filling up. No problem, that was expected. What I hadn't calculated was that nobody wants to see with their eyes anymore. Nearly everyone moved from piece to piece taking a pic and then moving on. Fine for them, but incredibly annoying to me when I'd finally be in front of say, a Van Gogh, I'd have a hand reach in front of me for a quick snap. This was constant and I just couldn't fathom it. Why snap a pic of a painting when they're all on Google and better than yours? Why would you not want to sit and look at the real thing? Mind boggling.

After a few hours I gave up on getting to spend any meaningful time with the pieces I'd wanted to see and I just accepted getting bounced and jostled by phones. Such a disappointment though to be in that magnificent place and not get to take my time or have any kind of space respected.
                          I know you couldn’t avoid the busier times, so this isn’t me trying to say you did anything wrong. But my favorite time in France is early May. The crowds are much smaller (most large groups are French kids on field trips), the weather is spectacular, and plane fares are much lower.

I spent a summer in Versailles and it was brutal for crowds (we often went to the gardens on p day) and also spent many summer p days in Paris. Summer crowds are brutal. I once went up the Eiffel Tower with MJ and it took two hours to get to the top and t was shoulder to shoulder up there. I’ve also been up there in the off season when it’s me and a handful of other people. I’ve also been in the Orsay when it was just me and MJ I’m pretty much any room we went into. It was awesome.

We’ll be there in March and while I don’t like the early spring weather, I think my kids will have a great time without the crazy crowds.
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Yeah, that drives me nuts too. We went to the Van Gogh museum and I was very happy to the "No photos allowed" sign at the entrance. But people tried to do it anyway. I just don't get it.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

My parents are serving in Paris. They bought a year pass to the Louvre. They head there on saturdays first thing and spend a couple hours in one small section. They said it has been great.

They haven't been going as much now as they have spent the last few weeks in the Versailles gardens and other nice summer spots.

Comment

We paid $505 for our tickets to fly out in March of next year and the return trip is on Air France. It’s a direct flight, which is why I booked it...well other than the screaming offer.

If you travel to Europe in an off period, there really is no reason to pay more than $600 per ticket unless you really need to fly on certain flights.
                                I just checked my tickets today. I originally had an outgoing flight with a 4 hour layover in Cincinnati. Delta cancelled all flights to Cincinnati except for one that lands at 9pm that night, which is a problem since we are supposed to take off from Cincinnati at 6pm.

I called their reservations number hoping they had an earlier flight. The rep on the line couldn’t find one so he offered to put us on a direct flight that lands pretty much at the same time. So now I have a direct flight out and back and only paid the original $505 for tickets.
                                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                                X