Paris (France) travel tips/suggestions... with kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    Yup. Europe, and basically the rest of the world, do "chip and PIN" while the US is still stuck on "mag stripe and signature", although we're slowly upgrading to "chip and signature". The entire signature thing is so stupid. Nobody validates it, nobody looks at, it offers no security at all and is basically just a big stupid wasteful hassle that we in the US continue out of "tradition". (The USA-hater Walter Sobchak should focus his ire on our country's electronic payment industry, then he would really have a legitimate beef)

When I go out of the country I always make sure I use my credit cards with no foreign transaction fees and that I know the PIN for them.
    Agree. But wait, how do you find out your PIN. Will the back just supply it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Come on, KL. Everyone should get the chance to go to the top of the Eiffel Tower once.
      Under the best of circumstances I am a skinflint while traveling; in this case I am even more so because one of my sisters insisted (INSISTED!) that we stay in a manor in the Cotswolds for the second part of our trip. I do all the planning because I love it, but it's odd the requests I have to contend with. One of my sisters wants to be instagram famous--stopping long enough to snap a photo, while my other sister doesnt bother to take pictures at all. One wants to drive a teeny car through the countryside, and the other is afraid to drive anywhere but her home state. One wants to have tea with Mr. Darby, and the other one wants to spend the day at Peppa's Pig World at Paulton's Park. Even as stingy as I am with travel budgets, I am still planning to buy a $400 scarf at House of Hermes. I was really afraid I would be outvoted and not be able to visit the Battle of Hastings--the odds didn't look good, but one of my sisters unexpectedly voted with me with unbridled enthusiasm. I had forgotten she was an English Lit major.

I'm starting to appreciate those of you who plan travel with teenagers.
      Last edited by Katy Lied; 01-30-2019, 11:41 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
        Under the best of circumstances I am a skinflint while traveling; in this case I am even more so because one of my sisters insisted (INSISTED!) that we stay in a manor in the Cotswolds for the second part of our trip. I do all the planning because I love it, but it's odd the requests I have to contend with. One of my sisters wants to be instagram famous--stopping long enough to snap a photo, while my other sister doesnt bother to take pictures at all. One wants to drive a teeny car through the countryside, and the other is afraid to drive anywhere but her home state. One wants to have tea with Mr. Darby, and the other one wants to spend the day at Peppa's Pig World at Paulton's Park. Even as stingy as I am with travel budgets, I am still planning to buy a $400 scarf at House of Hermes. I was really afraid I would be outvoted and not be able to visit the Battle of Hastings, and it looked dreary for me, but one of my sisters unexpectedly voted with me with unbridled enthusiasm. I had forgotten she was an English Lit major.

Ha! Ok I get it.

Sounds like an adventure. Be sure to report.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
          Agree. But wait, how do you find out your PIN. Will the back just supply it?
          Depends on which bank issues your card. If your card is issued by Chase just call them up

How do I request a Personal Identification Number (PIN) for my credit card?

To request a PIN, please call us at 1-800-297-4970 and follow the instructions provided by the automated system. If you use TTY support, please call 1-800-955-8060
          Other banks will have similar processes or will allow you to set/reset it online or even in a branch.

Comment

Under the best of circumstances I am a skinflint while traveling; in this case I am even more so because one of my sisters insisted (INSISTED!) that we stay in a manor in the Cotswolds for the second part of our trip. I do all the planning because I love it, but it's odd the requests I have to contend with. One of my sisters wants to be instagram famous--stopping long enough to snap a photo, while my other sister doesnt bother to take pictures at all. One wants to drive a teeny car through the countryside, and the other is afraid to drive anywhere but her home state. One wants to have tea with Mr. Darby, and the other one wants to spend the day at Peppa's Pig World at Paulton's Park. Even as stingy as I am with travel budgets, I am still planning to buy a $400 scarf at House of Hermes. I was really afraid I would be outvoted and not be able to visit the Battle of Hastings--the odds didn't look good, but one of my sisters unexpectedly voted with me with unbridled enthusiasm. I had forgotten she was an English Lit major.

What will the second part of your trip entail? I've been working on a major trip in June during which we'll visit pretty much every area of the British Isles we haven't already hit (i.e., Kent, Cornwall, Wales and northern Scotland). Like you, I do all of the planning and I love spending many dozens, perhaps hundreds, of hours researching, planning and making reservations. Although our trip will be nearly four weeks in length, I have every day planned pretty much down to the hour (including, btw, Hastings Battlefield and Abbey), although I'm always open to spur-of-the-moment changes. The missus, meanwhile, doesn't get involved with the planning at all, essentially waiting until we step on the plane ("So, where are we going?"). But she does a superb job with the photography and coffee table book that results from each venture.

And your $400 Hermes scarf expectation pretty much redeemed the reputation damage wrought by your first comment about being a travel skinflint. It's great to cut costs whenever possible, but I insist on a few splurges each trip to add to the memories. One of our very best trips (Ireland 2017) included multi-night stays at Ashford Castle and $65/night B&Bs.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
              Depends on which bank issues your card. If your card is issued by Chase just call them up

Other banks will have similar processes or will allow you to set/reset it online or even in a branch.
              Thank you. I have tried in the past, years ago when I first got a chip, and I recall then pleading ignorance as to how to help me.

Comment

• Holy Cow PAC, four weeks! Wish that were I.

Im sad to miss the Chelsea Flower Show by about a week, but that isn't as critical for me. We are going to finally see Hamilton in London's West End super cheap, so there's that. I really wanted to see Come From Away, but that ticket was too expensive for us- although I would think you and your wife would enjoy it.

The other thing we want to do is see the recently excavated tunnels under Dover Cliffs from WWII. Still have to wear a hardhat and lantern, but British Heritage just opened them up to tourists.

Back to Paris, I adore Les Puces de Saint-Ouen, so a revisit is in order. Totally inappropriate for little kids. And we've engaged a professional photographer for a sunrise photo shoot with a hopefully misty morning tour eiffel backdrop.
                Last edited by Katy Lied; 01-30-2019, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Holy Cow PAC, four weeks! Wish that were I.

Im sad to miss the Chelsea Flower Show by about a week, but that isn't as critical for me. We are going to finally see Hamilton in London's West End super cheap, so there's that. I really wanted to see Come From Away, but that ticket was too expensive for us- although I would think you and your wife would enjoy it.

The other thing we want to do is see the recently excavated tunnels under Dover Cliffs from WWII. Still have to wear a hardhat and lantern, but British Heritage just opened them up to tourists.
                  Come From Away is great
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Back to Paris, I adore Les Puces de Saint-Ouen, so a revisit is in order. Totally inappropriate for little kids. And we've engaged a professional photographer for a sunrise photo shoot with a hopefully misty morning tour eiffel backdrop.

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    Come From Away is great
                    Welder money must be nice.
                    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Thanks for the tip on the tunnels; that's definitely on the list. And oddly, perhaps, we're not spending even a single night in London this time around, so no West End shows, which is unfortunate as my wife just finished reading Come From Away and would love to see it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                        Welder money must be nice.
                        It was in SLC last fall at the Eccles Theater. Did not require welder money.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                          What will the second part of your trip entail? I've been working on a major trip in June during which we'll visit pretty much every area of the British Isles we haven't already hit (i.e., Kent, Cornwall, Wales and northern Scotland). Like you, I do all of the planning and I love spending many dozens, perhaps hundreds, of hours researching, planning and making reservations. Although our trip will be nearly four weeks in length, I have every day planned pretty much down to the hour (including, btw, Hastings Battlefield and Abbey), although I'm always open to spur-of-the-moment changes. The missus, meanwhile, doesn't get involved with the planning at all, essentially waiting until we step on the plane ("So, where are we going?"). But she does a superb job with the photography and coffee table book that results from each venture.

And your $400 Hermes scarf expectation pretty much redeemed the reputation damage wrought by your first comment about being a travel skinflint. It's great to cut costs whenever possible, but I insist on a few splurges each trip to add to the memories. One of our very best trips (Ireland 2017) included multi-night stays at Ashford Castle and $65/night B&Bs.
                          Would be interested in learning a little more about your itinerary. The wife and I are hoping to do something this spring, but we are struggling to decide on a destination. I hear that "walking tours" of Cornwall can be fun. Would also be interested in Ireland, Wales, and Scotland. Any advice? Probably looking at maybe 10 days. 14 tops.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            Would be interested in learning a little more about your itinerary. The wife and I are hoping to do something this spring, but we are struggling to decide on a destination. I hear that "walking tours" of Cornwall can be fun. Would also be interested in Ireland, Wales, and Scotland. Any advice? Probably looking at maybe 10 days. 14 tops.
                            I sent you our itinerary, which may be a bit more than what you're looking for here. My sense is that the the northern part of Wales has more places of interest than the south, but the missus has ancestors there so we'll spend a day or two in the area. Among the things I'm looking forward to in Scotland is a day on the Isle of Skye and a private tour of the Orkney Islands (Skara Brae has been on my must-see list for awhile).

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                              I sent you our itinerary, which may be a bit more than what you're looking for here. My sense is that the the northern part of Wales has more places of interest than the south, but the missus has ancestors there so we'll spend a day or two in the area. Among the things I'm looking forward to in Scotland is a day on the Isle of Skye and a private tour of the Orkney Islands (Skara Brae has been on my must-see list for awhile).
                              Got it. Thank you!

Comment

• "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                                X