one space or two?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by creekster View Post
    well what practical reason is hter for not having two spaces? page length? ha. Try a long document wiht and without and see if it makes a difference, none or almost none. time? yes, that extra tap on the space bar really takes it out of your day. Keyboard wear and tear? Not bloody likely. So why do it? what advanatage is ther to one spacing?
    Gosh you're defensive today. Don't worry. We get it! You're a really good typist when you want to be! I imagine that must be highly reassuring to your 999,999 monkey friends and their typewriters. lol.

Comment

One.
      What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
      -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

I advocate a different method. Two spaces between each word and each sentence. Much more fair and even that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
          Gosh you're defensive today. Don't worry. We get it! You're a really good typist when you want to be! I imagine that must be highly reassuring to your 999,999 monkey friends and their typewriters. lol.
          Hey, dont laugh, the other day i was tpying a long post and it turned out i had managed half of Hamlet's soliloquy!
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

For some reason it drives me crazy when I see two spaces after a period. _ _ The second space seems excessive with modern proportional fonts, and I find it visually distracting. _ _ But then other people tell me I'm nuts. _ _ Surely I'm not alone in this?
            One.

Comment

Hey, dont laugh, the other day i was tpying a long post and it turned out i had managed half of Hamlet's soliloquy!
              And just think, if it weren't for all those wasted double spaces you might have ended up with the whole thing!

Comment

Two, and I've been typing that way since '68 and it isn't going to change, especially not now that I have the added perq of knowing I'm driving Babs crazy. That said, I've never noticed, much less thought about, whether a person is using one or two spaces, perhaps because to these tired eyes the difference is infinitesimal. Oh, and just as I was taught way back when, when typing addresses I still insert two spaces between the state abbreviation and the zip code.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                  Two, and I've been typing that way since '68 and it isn't going to change, especially not now that I have the added perq of knowing I'm driving Babs crazy.
                  yes, but the vbulletin software auto-corrects for double spacing. mwahaha!

Unfortunately when I click quote I can see the original text with the double spaces, but I don't hold those against you. Really.

Comment

I am unaware of any legqal prescription in applicable rules that specify number of spaces follwing a period. They specify a bunch of other things (margins, font size, etc.) but not that. Not to say it isnt true somewhere, but I am unaaware of it. Instead, think of it this way: Lawyers as a group read a lot of stuff everyday. All day. Except for some youngsters who are wrong, most prefer two spaces. I think there is a practical reason for it, as I explained earlier.
                    CUF Takes 6th Street: Warning List

1. nikuman
                    2. HBCoug
                    3. creekster
                    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post

1. nikuman
                      2. HBCoug
                      3. creekster
                      So when I refer to youngsters that are wrong you see yourself? Interesting.
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

yes, but the vbulletin software auto-corrects for double spacing. mwahaha!

Unfortunately when I click quote I can see the original text with the double spaces, but I don't hold those against you. Really.
                        Curse you vBulletin. I did not know this. Just for that you're going on the PAC Family Newsletter mailing list. Be sure to check out the address and the gaping abyss before the zip code.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post

1. nikuman
                          nononono! You can't axe niku! Who's going to buy my drinks?

Honestly, I still can't believe y'all are scheduling Texas @ Austin. Oh, well...at least you'll still have your record against OU!

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                            Curse you vBulletin. I did not know this. Just for that you're going on the PAC Family Newsletter mailing list. Be sure to check out the address and the gaping abyss before the zip code.
                            No, of the zip code spacing I heartily approve. I even have it like that on my resume.

ps. THREE spaces?? This is out of hand. You add one more space between your sentences and I'll...I'll...well, I don't know, but I'll think of something!

Comment

No, of the zip code spacing I heartily approve. I even have it like that on my resume.

ps. THREE spaces?? This is out of hand. You add one more space between your sentences and I'll...I'll...well, I don't know, but I'll think of something!
                              I'm so pleased you noticed, as I went to the extra effort just for you. But now I'm left to stew over all of the energy I've wasted by double spacing over the years, thanks to that busybody autocorrect feature. I think I'll petition for credit on the next Rest at The Top Challenge, adding "Spacing" to the activity categories.

Comment

nononono! You can't axe niku! Who's going to buy my drinks?

Honestly, I still can't believe y'all are scheduling Texas @ Austin. Oh, well...at least you'll still have your record against OU!
                                Even if BYU loses, they'll still have a winning record against UT. I have to think that this is something Ute fans think about every year as the rivalry game approaches.
                                Last edited by TheBYUGuy; 01-29-2010, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X