Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apple Jan. 27 launch event... what will it be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
    I've had this sucker for less than 24 hours and I'm already hooked. Installed Office 2011, VMWare Fusion, and the MS RDP Client and I'm in business. And the retina display. Wow.
    Welcome to the Apple club
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I've had this sucker for less than 24 hours and I'm already hooked. Installed Office 2011, VMWare Fusion, and the MS RDP Client and I'm in business. And the retina display. Wow.
      I tried to get you on the bandwagon what, seven years ago?

Comment

Good. Now download Xcode and get coding in Objective-C then your transformation will be complete.
        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I was thinking I would look into buying the iPad 4 or whatever you call it when the new one is released. I know this is old news now, but they're just going to continue selling the iPad2 as the lower spec model instead. Talk about the old warhorse, lol. I can't believe the model I bought in March 2011 is still going to be sold until October 2014. I'm pretty sure I have the most beat up iPad out there, my kids have absolutely hammered it. My second child started using this thing on her own at 18 months. My little guy is also trying to get a hold of it.

Anyway, it would be totally idiotic to buy an iPad 2 over the new iPad Air. I get what Apple is doing, they're lining up both sets of iPads and iPad minis so they basically have the same specs. The iPad 4 along with the A6X chip is now long gone. Next year they'll resume the typical product cycle, i.e. the iPad Air and iPad mini with retina will be the lower speced offerings instead of something that is basically two and a half years old.
          Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Looks like the iPad mini 2 is going to be extremely difficult to buy for a while:

http://www.latinpost.com/articles/32...ies-retina.htm

But I am at the very top of the waiting list at my local store. I like my odds.

Just going to get one, BTW. My wife decided that she wants to try mine out before buying one.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              Looks like the iPad mini 2 is going to be extremely difficult to buy for a while:

http://www.latinpost.com/articles/32...ies-retina.htm

But I am at the very top of the waiting list at my local store. I like my odds.

Just going to get one, BTW. My wife decided that she wants to try mine out before buying one.
              i knew it. poser.
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

I believe that your skinny jeans will be arriving within 2-5 business days.
                As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                  Good. Now download Xcode and get coding in Objective-C then your transformation will be complete.
                  l'm a geek with a new toy to learn ... I'm sure that will come in time. There are basically zero Mac based tools for SQL Server ... might be fun to play with.

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                  I believe that your skinny jeans will be arriving within 2-5 business days.
                  No skinny jeans. However, based on how much I travel, I am digging the skinny laptop! My wife made the comment that the box the MBP came in was only slightly larger than my ThinkPad.
                  "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

• My iMac is almost 5 years old. When we bought it we got a high end one with several upgrades. It's still running like a champ but lately I've noticed that with the upgrades and additional software/files it's been running much more slowly than usual. It's been a great machine and we'll likely keep it until it dies. However, I'm looking at getting a new iMac and will probably go big again on this one. I was wondering what people would consider "must haves" on a decent iMac machine?

Definitely going 27 inch
                    3.5ghz i7 processer
                    16gb ram (is 32 necessary?)
                    3tb (wondering if the fusion drive is worth the money)
                    standard graphics chip

Also, I'm going without the superdrive as we rarely use our DVD drive (I've already ripped all our movies) and I figure we can always rip DVDs on the old machine.
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                      My iMac is almost 5 years old. When we bought it we got a high end one with several upgrades. It's still running like a champ but lately I've noticed that with the upgrades and additional software/files it's been running much more slowly than usual. It's been a great machine and we'll likely keep it until it dies. However, I'm looking at getting a new iMac and will probably go big again on this one. I was wondering what people would consider "must haves" on a decent iMac machine?

Definitely going 27 inch
                      3.5ghz i7 processer
                      standard graphics chip

Also, I'm going without the superdrive as we rarely use our DVD drive (I've already ripped all our movies) and I figure we can always rip DVDs on the old machine.
                      You should wait until December and go with the new Mac Pro.

As for the fusion drive...

but most likely not worth the extra money...

http://www.mactrast.com/2012/11/appl...-drive-ripoff/

As for the extra RAM, you can always upgrade later and for less money:

http://blog.macsales.com/20235-owcs-...configurations
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

My iMac is almost 5 years old. When we bought it we got a high end one with several upgrades. It's still running like a champ but lately I've noticed that with the upgrades and additional software/files it's been running much more slowly than usual. It's been a great machine and we'll likely keep it until it dies. However, I'm looking at getting a new iMac and will probably go big again on this one. I was wondering what people would consider "must haves" on a decent iMac machine?

Definitely going 27 inch
                        3.5ghz i7 processer
                        standard graphics chip

what do you use it for? 32gb is definitely overkill unless you're batch processing big images or rendering video, and 16gb is overkill if you're browsing cs and word processing.
                        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                          As for the extra RAM, you can always upgrade later and for less money:

http://blog.macsales.com/20235-owcs-...configurations
                          Yeah, this is what I figured. From what I know, upgrading memory on an iMac is a piece of cake. I just wish I could have it shipped without the 8gb sticks and then I'd just go buy the 32gb and put them in when the machine arrives. In any case I'll probably just get the 8gb and buy some 32gb expansion.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                            what do you use it for? 32gb is definitely overkill unless you're batch processing big images or rendering video, and 16gb is overkill if you're browsing cs and word processing.
                            I am sure he wants to run 3 or 4 database servers in VMWare like FM.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Definitely going 27 inch
                              3.5ghz i7 processer
                              standard graphics chip

Why on earth would you need more than 16 GB for home use? I bet 8 GB would be plenty.

Ditch the superdrive and buy an equivalent off-brand USB optical drive if you need it for a fraction of the cost.

Go with the 1TB drive and get a cheap off-brand external drive (or two) if you need it.

Finally, I would buy a Mac Mini and then buy a good quality off-brand monitor. Not only would you save a ton of money, but if you Mini ever goes out you could replace it without paying to replace the monitor at the same time. I have never understood why anyone would go with iMac where the monitor and CPU are integrated.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                                We use it mostly for:
                                - reading CS/FB/Tuxedo Yoda tweets
                                - running all Apple TVs through iTunes including music and movies
                                - creating videos/slideshows in iMovie (we have an HD camcorder that we run everything through iMovie)
                                - Excel spreadsheets and word processing
                                - we do some video converting through handbrake but I usually just let those run overnight

Comment

Working...
                                X