Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apple Jan. 27 launch event... what will it be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    Our studio director was showing everyone his new phone. He tried to show us the new fingerprint function on the phone but every time he touched the home button, nothing happened. In fact, his demo of the fingerprint function was about as successful as his demo of the Siri function a couple of years ago, when he kept asking Siri where to buy a pizza.
    Well that sucks. The fingerprint thing was about the only reason I was considering the 5s: biometric two-factor security. Of course, the NSA most likely made Apple put in a backdoor.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
      The 5S apparently has two processors (A7 and M7) and the M7 chip is supposed to help with certain things (detecting movement?) and will adjust the settings appropriately. This is supposed to save battery life.

I'm now ready for the onslaught of fandroids to tell me that the Galaxy S has had this coprocessor since 2007...
      That motion stuff generates a crap load of interrupts on the current iPhones. (And interrupts are bad for power usage.)
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
        Well that sucks. The fingerprint thing was about the only reason I was considering the 5s: biometric two-factor security. Of course, the NSA most likely made Apple put in a backdoor.
        Works fine for me. Sounds like studio director didn't set it up correctly. I think the camera is crazy good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
          Works fine for me. Sounds like studio director didn't set it up correctly. I think the camera is crazy good.
          Is that a 64-bit iphone in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• So a crowdsource is offering $14K for the first person to hack that new touch ID...

A group of researchers, hackers, and other security enthusiast are pooling their money and offering it as a bounty to the first person that can successfully crack the Touch ID fingerprint authentication mechanism on Apple’s recently released iPhone 5S.

It all started as a discussion between security researchers Don Bailey and Nick DePetrillo, according to Bailey. DePetrillo then fired off a tweet, offering $100 to the first person that could lift a fingerprint off an iPhone 5S, recreate it, and reliably unlock the phone in five tries or fewer. From there, a number of other security professionals and hobbyists got in on the pot, mostly via twitter, which is now worth more than $14,000 and counting. You can keep an eye on the growing pool of money the contest’s dedicated website, which was created by one of the contest’s other founding members, Robert Graham.
            [...]
            http://threatpost.com/14k-and-counti...id-hack/102360

Yeah, let's find that NSA backdoor!
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
              Meh....can't really see the use of that.

Sent from M7-less battery-hogging SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
              I don't think you'll even notice it so why turn it off? From what I understand it'll shut off the wifi from looking for a hotspot (wifi sucks up a lot of battery) when it knows you are driving or moving around. It's just an automatic battery saver. It'll have other uses like motion or fitness apps but it seems to have a really practice use.
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                Works great for me too. I can't believe how light and thin it is compared to my 4S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
                  Works great for me too. I can't believe how light and thin it is compared to my 4S.
                  The other thing that'll be nice is you can use it for purchases and downloads from the App Store instead of typing in your password. Bonus!

Comment

• There's now a setting for blocking people -- you won't receive calls, messages, or facetime requests from people on your blocked list. Settings > Messages > Blocked

Comment

• One gripe about iOs7. I can't quite figure out how to ignore a phone call when my phone is in locked mode. I've tried swiping everywhere but no ignore button pops up.

Comment

So a crowdsource is offering $14K for the first person to hack that new touch ID...

http://threatpost.com/14k-and-counti...id-hack/102360

Yeah, let's find that NSA backdoor!
                        Well, that was quick and easy...

Chaos Computer Club has claimed that they have managed to break Apple’s TouchID using everyday material and method available on the web.

Explaining their method on their website, the CCC hackers have claimed that all they did was photograph a fingerprint from a glass surface, ramped up the resolution of the photographed fingerprint, inverted and printed the fingerprint using thick toner settings, smeared pink latex milk or white woodglue onto the pattern, lifted the latex sheet, moistened it a little and then placed it on the iPhone 5S’ fingerprint sensor to unlock the phone.
                        [...]
                        http://www.paritynews.com/2013/09/23...ouchid-broken/
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• A spoof ad claiming iOS7 makes your phone waterproof has some owners who tested it upset.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/people...115719246.html
                          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                            A spoof ad claiming iOS7 makes your phone waterproof has some owners who tested it upset.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/people...115719246.html
                            The maps must be awesome if this is your first post about it.
                            Get confident, stupid
                            -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                              The maps must be awesome if this is your first post about it.
                              Apple totally botched their maps release with iOS 6. I understand now though with iOS 7 the screen in Maps transitions to a night mode after sunset. Cool.

Since you brought it up, it is interesting though. Even as Apples Maps grow, a large number of iPhone users still use Google Maps. As Apple tries to expand their footprint, Google not content went out purchase Waze. The social integration and personal preferences that Google Maps is beginning to offer is pretty amazing. Apple has a long way to go and I personally don't think they will ever catch up. That said, I have been highly critical of Google's revamp of their Navigation and Maps apps into a single app. But the recent update is okay. I still prefer the separate apps but I have gotten used to the UI.

I find it interesting how many Google Apps Apple has allowed into iTunes for download now. Almost everything is available now I believe on the iPhone.
                              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

Comment

But are there better 64-bit smartphones than the iPhone 5s?

Answer:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20485...right-now.html

I still don't know what I would do with a 64-bit iPhone but I want one. (For security reasons it would be nice to have a 64-bit address space but it would most likely just eat the battery faster for the most part.)

64-bit iPhone might have more of an advantage than just security and speed. The following blog article go into a lot of detail about some other advantages of the move to 64-bit...

http://www.mikeash.com/pyblog/friday...4-and-you.html
                                [...]
                                The "64-bit" A7 is not just a marketing gimmic, but neither is it an amazing breakthrough that enables a new class of applications. The truth, as happens often, lies in between.

The simple fact of moving to 64-bit does little. It makes for slightly faster computations in some cases, somewhat higher memory usage for most programs, and makes certain programming techniques more viable. Overall, it's not hugely significant.

The ARM architecture changed a bunch of other things in its transition to 64-bit. An increased number of registers and a revised, streamlined instruction set make for a nice performance gain over 32-bit ARM.

Apple took advantage of the transition to make some changes of their own. The biggest change is an inline retain count, which eliminates the need to perform a costly hash table lookup for retain and release operations in the common case. Since those operations are so common in most Objective-C code, this is a big win. Per-object resource cleanup flags make object deallocation quite a bit faster in certain cases. All in all, the cost of creating and destroying an object is roughly cut in half. Tagged pointers also make for a nice performance win as well as reduced memory use.
                                [...]
                                In short, besides the obvious hardware speed benefits apple introduced these things called tagged pointers that are a big performance win. However, these tagged pointers require 64-bit CPUs since they have lots of room to attach the tag. 32-bit CPUs just don't have the space in their pointers. We won't see this performance benefit initially, however, because the apps will need to be recompiled to take advantage of the tagged pointers.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X