Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apple Jan. 27 launch event... what will it be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
    i want the 12.9 pro but not sure what i would use it for. travel? pdf markup and consumption? that may be it.
    uncle ted should i wait for new ipad? why no oled
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
      It is about security... Face ID is like 20 times more secure than Touch ID. Also, if your eyes are closed it won't unlock (e.g., you have to be awake). In general it is very hard to spoof (1 in 1,000,000 chance that a random face will unlock it). .
      That's true unless you have the attention required feature turned off. And unless you turn that off the thing really is a pain in the butt. I just checked mine and it opens immediately even if my eyes are closed, which makes sense given that it is advertised as working with glasses and bizarre make up, etc.
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

It is about security... Face ID is like 20 times more secure than Touch ID. Also, if your eyes are closed it won't unlock (e.g., you have to be awake). In general it is very hard to spoof (1 in 1,000,000 chance that a random face will unlock it). On the other hand, it seems fingerprint scanners are getting spoofed all the time. Apple wants to keep your private information on your iPhone private.
        So why not include both devices and let users decide which they want to enable and use?

Never mind, we know the answer. COURAGE!
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          So why not include both devices and let users decide which they want to enable and use?

Never mind, we know the answer. COURAGE!
          No, it is called if you want touch ID get an iPhone 8, you big dummy. I want a phone with a big screen that fits nicely in my pocket.
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

No, it is called if you want touch ID get an iPhone 8, you big dummy. I want a phone with a big screen that fits nicely in my pocket.
            That doesn’t make any sense.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

That doesn’t make any sense.
              Maybe this drawing will help...

"I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

It is about security... Face ID is like 20 times more secure than Touch ID. Also, if your eyes are closed it won't unlock (e.g., you have to be awake). In general it is very hard to spoof (1 in 1,000,000 chance that a random face will unlock it). On the other hand, it seems fingerprint scanners are getting spoofed all the time. Apple wants to keep your private information on your iPhone private.
                One person in 50k vs one in a million is a distinction without a difference. And phone thieves aren’t producing fake fingerprints with university computers.

What concerns most people is convenience. Apple is paranoid after they allowed Jennifer Lawrence’s totally awesome pictures to get out on the internet.
                Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Maybe this drawing will help...

So it is impossible to have a bigger screen and a fingerprint sensor? Why is that?

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                    One person in 50k vs one in a million is a distinction without a difference. And phone thieves aren’t producing fake fingerprints with university computers.

What concerns most people is convenience. Apple is paranoid after they allowed Jennifer Lawrence’s totally awesome pictures to get out on the internet.
                    If folks want convenience over privacy they should just turn off auto lock completely. Here is a little step-by-step to help iPhone users do that:

https://www.imore.com/how-change-aut...phone-and-ipad

You android users are on your own... Of course, android security isn't all that great anyways to begin with so this isn't a bad idea.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

So it is impossible to have a bigger screen and a fingerprint sensor? Why is that?
                      You folks from Utah valley always think there is an unlimited amount of real estate (and think 1.6+ million people are going to fit there somehow). Touch ID sensors take room, man.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

If folks want convenience over privacy they should just turn off auto lock completely. Here is a little step-by-step to help iPhone users do that:

https://www.imore.com/how-change-aut...phone-and-ipad

You android users are on your own... Of course, android security isn't all that great anyways to begin with so this isn't a bad idea.
                        So I guess you’re arguing that there are only two positions to have? If you don’t like a semi-inconvenient form of security, then you must desire no security.

It’s unreasonable to have a fingerprint sensor that, for all intents and purposes, is basically as secure as facial recognition?
                        Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

You folks from Utah valley always think there is an unlimited amount of real estate (and think 1.6+ million people are going to fit there somehow). Touch ID sensors take room, man.
                          Jeff Lebowski Uncle Ted

Comment

• Lol. Gotta love tedsplaining.

Comment

• Turns out the iPhone X really is very water resistant. Under circumstances that are a little too embarrassing to describe in any detail, I ended up walking around in our pool in water at least waist deep for about 5-10 minutes, having forgotten that my phone was in my swimming suit pocket. After leaving the water I realized it had been underwater that entire time. I pulled it out and everything worked perfectly except the speakers, which sputtered a bit, but after sufficient time to dry were also ok. I am impressed (with the phone, not with me).
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                                Turns out the iPhone X really is very water resistant. Under circumstances that are a little too embarrassing to describe in any detail, I ended up walking around in our pool in water at least waist deep for about 5-10 minutes, having forgotten that my phone was in my swimming suit pocket. After leaving the water I realized it had been underwater that entire time. I pulled it out and everything worked perfectly except the speakers, which sputtered a bit, but after sufficient time to dry were also ok. I am impressed (with the phone, not with me).
                                senior moment?

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Working...
                                X