Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apple Jan. 27 launch event... what will it be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
    It’s been fun to watch Tim Cook follow Jeff Bezos. I guess Tim saw how much money amazon web services was making and wanted to emulate that.
    Apple likes to do it right after everyone else has screwed it royally... BTW, how is Jeff Bozos' fire smartphone doing? Did it flame out already?
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I love apple and apple magazines is a great idea. They can piss off with the new streaming service, though. I'm already planning on getting Disney+ for all the SW content and... yeah I'm full. I think Apple Arcade will work for some demographics- children who mess around on iPads, etc., but won't replace Xbox Live or the PS4 equivalent or Switch Online anytime soon.
      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
        Apple likes to do it right after everyone else has screwed it royally... BTW, how is Jeff Bozos' fire smartphone doing? Did it flame out already?
        Man, Tim Cook must be the richest man in the whole world.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
          I love apple and apple magazines is a great idea. They can piss off with the new streaming service, though. I'm already planning on getting Disney+ for all the SW content and... yeah I'm full. I think Apple Arcade will work for some demographics- children who mess around on iPads, etc., but won't replace Xbox Live or the PS4 equivalent or Switch Online anytime soon.
          I think it is already the other way around. iOS is already the largest gaming platform on this planet and it's only going to get larger.

iOS has become the largest gaming platform in the world, and this is their first subscription service banking on that captive audience.
          https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/heres-...ig-apple-event

Wake me up when Microsoft figures out mobile.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I think it is already the other way around. iOS is already the largest gaming platform on this planet and it's only going to get larger.

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/heres-...ig-apple-event

Wake me up when Microsoft figures out mobile.
            Ehhh that may be true but with an asterisk because it's mostly Candy Crush- not WOW or COD; people are gaming on their phones but that's because they are already on their phone. I'm sure a very very small % on their phones consider themselves 'gamers,' and you need a committed player to commit to a subscription. I don't see it.
            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Ehhh that may be true but with an asterisk because it's mostly Candy Crush- not WOW or COD; people are gaming on their phones but that's because they are already on their phone. I'm sure a very very small % on their phones consider themselves 'gamers,' and you need a committed player to commit to a subscription. I don't see it.
              Also, iOS is the largest gaming platform? Uh, how are they determining that when Android has a much larger market share?
              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
              -Turtle
              sigpic

Comment

Yeah, its all about mobile these days... I guess you could put your Xbox in one of these:

Batteries are a b*tch, however.

I think Microsoft recognizes that the future is mobile.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                  Also, iOS is the largest gaming platform? Uh, how are they determining that when Android has a much larger market share?
                  App development for Android sucks...

In addition, there are some technical advantages that keep Apple ahead of Android in this arena. Plenty of Android devices are very performant and capable in individual ways, but Apple has a deep holistic grasp of its hardware that allows it to push platform advantages in introducing new frameworks like ARKit. Google’s efforts in the area with ARCore are just getting started with the first batch of 1.0 apps coming online now, but Google will always be hamstrung by the platform fragmentation that forces developers to target a huge array of possible software and hardware limitations that their apps and games will run up against.

This makes shipping technically ambitious projects like Fortnite on Android as well as iOS a daunting task. “There’s a very wide range of Android devices that we want to support,” Epic Games’ Nick Chester told Forbes. “We want to make sure Android players have a great experience, so we’re taking more time to get it right.“

“We bring a very homogenous customer base to developers where 90 percent of [devices] are on the current versions of iOS,” says Joswiak. Apple’s customers embrace those changes and updates quickly, he says, and this allows developers to target new features and the full capabilities of the devices more quickly.
                  [...]
                  “I think what is happening is people are starting to recognize that iOS devices are everywhere, and they are the primary computers of many people,” says Zach Gage. “When people watch a game on Twitch, they take their iPhone out of their pocket and download it. Not because they want to know if there’s a mobile version, but because they just want the game. It’s natural to assume that these games available for a computer or a PlayStation, and it’s now natural to assume that it would be available for your phone.”
                  https://techcrunch.com/2018/03/21/mo...has-the-reins/
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

App development for Android sucks...

https://techcrunch.com/2018/03/21/mo...has-the-reins/
                    Sure, but that didn't answer my question.
                    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                    -Turtle
                    sigpic

Comment

Yeah, its all about mobile these days... I guess you could put your Xbox in one of these:

Batteries are a b*tch, however.

lol. Nintendo already has you covered w the Switch. Such a great travel buddy. I don't think Microsoft is going to bust into Nintendo's market anytime soon. Nintendo and Gameboys go way back. Sega tried, Sony tried, but Nintendo is the master of mobile gaming. Shoot, they even have games on iOS.

Comment

lol. Nintendo already has you covered w the Switch. Such a great travel buddy. I don't think Microsoft is going to bust into Nintendo's market anytime soon. Nintendo and Gameboys go way back. Sega tried, Sony tried, but Nintendo is the master of mobile gaming. Shoot, they even have games on iOS.
                        Yeah, the nintendo switch is great for mobile gaming. The CPU is weak sauce compared to the latest iPhones and iPads. It is based on the 2014 era ARM A57 architecture. Modern smartphones offer at least 3x the CPU performance. They did put a decent GPU in the switch. Of course, you would expect that in a dedicated gaming machine. The GPU apple puts in the A12 and A12X has past it up, however. One advantage is the switch uses a "realtime OS" compared to iOS which is doing all kinds of stuff in the background. Not to mention, the switch has active cooling (aka, a fan) to keep the CPU performance constant. The iPhone/iPad is passive and will shutdown CPU cores to save power/reduce heat generation. This lack of constant gaming performance can show in games that demand it. On the other hand, it is hard to make a phone call on a switch.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Yeah, the nintendo switch is great for mobile gaming. The CPU is weak sauce compared to the latest iPhones and iPads. It is based on the 2014 era ARM A57 architecture. Modern smartphones offer at least 3x the CPU performance. They did put a decent GPU in the switch. Of course, you would expect that in a dedicated gaming machine. The GPU apple puts in the A12 and A12X has past it up, however. One advantage is the switch uses a "realtime OS" compared to iOS which is doing all kinds of stuff in the background. Not to mention, the switch has active cooling (aka, a fan) to keep the CPU performance constant. The iPhone/iPad is passive and will shutdown CPU cores to save power/reduce heat generation. This lack of constant gaming performance can show in games that demand it. On the other hand, it is hard to make a phone call on a switch.
                          Don't forget that gaming sucks on a phone or tablet. You pick the weirdest things to argue about.
                          "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                          "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                          This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                          "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                          "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
                            Don't forget that gaming sucks on a phone or tablet. You pick the weirdest things to argue about.
                            I appreciate his passion. I agree that games can be cool on the iPad but probably won't be the go-to without a massive investment on Apple's part. I'd much rather stick to movies, editing, surfing, etc. You can't blame Apple for wanting a piece of the billions that gaming makes, though, I guess. My advice to Apple is to take a page from Orville Redenbacher's book and settle down.
                            Last edited by Commando; 03-27-2019, 12:57 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
                              The iPhone would make a nice gaming platform if they would add physical buttons and a headphone jack.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
                                The iPhone would make a nice gaming platform if they would add physical buttons and a headphone jack.
                                Preach!
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X