Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cookie Recipes

Since this thread was bumped....is there a chart somewhere which shows the time and temp differances when using convection as oppossed to regular oven times and temps?

Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Tank View Post
    Since this thread was bumped....is there a chart somewhere which shows the time and temp differances when using convection as oppossed to regular oven times and temps?
    I reduce the regular oven temp by 25 degrees in a convection oven and that seems to work.
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
    Pride of Iowa cookies

1 cup brown sugar
    1 cup butter
    1 cup coconut
    ˝ teaspoon salt
    3 cups quick oats
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 cup sugar
    2 eggs
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    2 cups flour
    1 cup chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 325 F.
    Cream butter and sugars together. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix in flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and oatmeal. Stir in coconut and nuts. Drop by teaspoon onto greased cookie sheets. Bake for 15 minutes. Cool on wire racks.

Other yummy additions I have tried: chocolate chips, cinnamon chips, raisins or cranberries and orange zest
    This was today's selection for Sunday Afternoon Cookie time with HFN and kids.

Captain said after tasting some of the dough "I can tell why these are the bride of Iowa cookies, I am falling in love with them."

Another great cookie day in the HFN house.

Next up el Duderino's Ginger Snaps.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Quote Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
    Pride of Iowa cookies

1 cup brown sugar
    1 cup butter
    1 cup coconut
    ˝ teaspoon salt
    3 cups quick oats
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 cup sugar
    2 eggs
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    2 cups flour
    1 cup chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 325 F.
    Cream butter and sugars together. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix in flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and oatmeal. Stir in coconut and nuts. Drop by teaspoon onto greased cookie sheets. Bake for 15 minutes. Cool on wire racks.

Other yummy additions I have tried: chocolate chips, cinnamon chips, raisins or cranberries and orange zest
    We tried this recipe last night. Very tasty. We were out of chocolate chips so we cut up some chocolate bars.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Never once baby snatched landpoke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    Jacksonville is the largest city in the US.
    You should qualify that statement.
    There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
    Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)

Tomorrow is Saturday
    And Sunday comes afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    We tried this recipe last night. Very tasty. We were out of chocolate chips so we cut up some chocolate bars.
    I make this recipe more than I should. Chocolate chunks are even better than chocolate chips.
    What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.

-Teenage Dirtbag

I need a good sugar cookie recipe. I make cookies about once a week with my two-year-old. We mix it up, but lately she really loves using cookie cutters and applying frosting.

I know that sugar cookies are not that complicated. They're the hamburger-helper of the cookie world.

I know that the main trick is to under-, not overcook them. I know cookie thickness makes a difference.

But I'm tired of my mother-in-law's simple recipe. It's fine, but that's it. There's gotta be something better out there.

What do you all have?
    "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
    -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    I need a good sugar cookie recipe. I make cookies about once a week with my two-year-old. We mix it up, but lately she really loves using cookie cutters and applying frosting.

I know that sugar cookies are not that complicated. They're the hamburger-helper of the cookie world.

I know that the main trick is to under-, not overcook them. I know cookie thickness makes a difference.

But I'm tired of my mother-in-law's simple recipe. It's fine, but that's it. There's gotta be something better out there.

What do you all have?
    My wife has a great sugar cookie recipe. Soft and chewy. I think I have it here on my laptop.

Here you go. It makes a huge batch, so be warned.

Grandma Taylor's Sugar Cookies

4 eggs
    2 Cups shortening
    4 Cups sugar
    2 Cups buttermilk
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 tsp. lemon extract
    2 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. salt
    Enough flour to make a soft dough. About 9 cups

Cream eggs, shortening and sugar. Add buttermilk, vanilla and lemon, blend until creamy. Slowly add the dry ingredients. The dough will be very soft. Roll out on a lightly floured surface. Bake at 350 for about 8-10 minutes. I like a softer cookie so I reduce the heat to about 325 and bake until the cookies spring back. This is a big recipe that makes dozens of sugar cookies. My grandma had 15 children and so she had to cook for an army. These cookies freeze well or you can half the recipe.

This is a very old recipe. My grandma was one of those good cooks who didn't measure things and it turned out perfect every time. I am not that good, so I measure my flour. I also like to crush up peppermints and mix them into the dough. It makes it a chewy cookie and gives it a good flavor.
    Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 10-15-2009 at 08:47 AM.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Banned

2 tsp. soda
    Baking Soda, I assume? Or are there other kinds?

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    So today at Stake Conf. HFN Jr. started talking about how the best cookie in the world comes from his school cafeteria. I thought what better time to resume HFN and kids make the cookies of CUF series.

So without further ado, we made kcc's chocolate chip cookies. Much easier than DDD's recipe. I will need to plan ahead to make other people's recipes. Molasses and coconut? These aren't just things we have on hand in our pantry.

Notice the wood spoon, we follow directions well!

One cup didn't look good so we added more chips.

Ready to bake. No I didn't put them in the microwave, I guess it has been left open for a while.

Finished

Goose loved it, HFN Jr. said the ones from his school are a little better.

I guess I haven't checked this thread for a while. Thanks for trying my recipe!

What do you all have?
    My wife has a great sugar cookie recipe. In fact, when she makes them we always sneak them over to my neighbor across the street who really, really likes them but can't publically admit it because his wife has a sugar cookie recipe that she is very proud of.

I'll post the recipe tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
    Baking Soda, I assume? Or are there other kinds?
    Yes.

These are the best cookies I've ever had, let alone made, Mr. Lebowski. Your grandma rules.

My 2-year-old daughter is terrified of the mixer so it took us a couple of tries to get the dough made. We cut out Halloween shapes and frosted them with black frosting. My little girl had a blast but quickly abandoned frosting for eating.

My wife doesn't even like sugar cookies and she's digging them. The lemon juice is key. She's quit teasing me about my "internet friends" and now wishes she had some connections to awesome recipes. I told her she could sign up, but we'll see . . . I'm worried our household would grind to an absolute stop if that were the case.

Again, kudos to you and your recipe, Duderino.

In the spirit of HFN, here are a couple of photos, although they're more of my kid than of the cookies:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30222670@N05/4035868932/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30222670@N05/4035868940/

That's right. We go topless when we make cookies at my house.
    "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
    -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

These are the best cookies I've ever had, let alone made, Mr. Lebowski. Your grandma rules.

My 2-year-old daughter is terrified of the mixer so it took us a couple of tries to get the dough made. We cut out Halloween shapes and frosted them with black frosting. My little girl had a blast but quickly abandoned frosting for eating.

My wife doesn't even like sugar cookies and she's digging them. The lemon juice is key. She's quit teasing me about my "internet friends" and now wishes she had some connections to awesome recipes. I told her she could sign up, but we'll see . . . I'm worried our household would grind to an absolute stop if that were the case.

Again, kudos to you and your recipe, Duderino.

In the spirit of HFN, here are a couple of photos, although they're more of my kid than of the cookies:

That's awesome.

But in the spirit of full disclosure, it is my wife's recipe (Grandma Taylor is her grandmother).

Your daughter is adorable, btw.

Golf & Cubs Disrespecter beelzebabette's Avatar

Cute. I love how quickly eating goes to wearing food with little kids.

Quote Originally Posted by kccougar View Post
    My wife has a great sugar cookie recipe. In fact, when she makes them we always sneak them over to my neighbor across the street who really, really likes them but can't publically admit it because his wife has a sugar cookie recipe that she is very proud of.

I'll post the recipe tonight.
    I'm doing something here that would get me suspended on cougarboard: I am directly calling out KCCougar in this thread.

The crime: empty promises of sugar cookie recipes

The punishment: I-15 road trip with exUte and Ann Coulter's "Godless" books on tape.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    I'm doing something here that would get me suspended on cougarboard: I am directly calling out KCCougar in this thread.

The crime: empty promises of sugar cookie recipes

The punishment: I-15 road trip with exUte and Ann Coulter's "Godless" books on tape.
    I'll have Gidget post her Sour Cream Sugar Cookie recipe. They are heavenly. They remind me of the Granny B cookies I used to raid out of the basement vending machines in W Hall at DT.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Some posts in that food pet peeves thread gave me an idea (I happen to be hungry at the moment). Let's share our favorite cookie recipes. I'll go first.

The following is an old family recipe and is my all-time favorite. They are very good cold, but are simply divine directly from the oven with a glass of milk.

Ginger Snaps (aka Molasses Cookies)

2 C sugar
    ˝ C butter (do not use margarine!!)
    1 C shortening
    2 eggs
    ˝ C molasses (Granny’s is a good brand)
    4 C flour
    3 t baking soda
    1 ˝ t cinnamon
    1 t salt
    1 t ginger

Cream the sugar, butter and shortening. Add remaining ingredients and beat together. Roll into small balls and roll in sugar.
    Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 350 degrees. How long you cook it depends on your preference. We like them crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. To do this, you need to take them out while they are still quite soft and let them sit a minute before you take them off the sheet. Experiment to find what you like.

BOOOIINNNNGGG!

These are freaking rad cookies. Thanks JeffLebowski. Big hit with a nice cold glass of milk. Made them tonight. I won't share how many we have eaten amongst the 3 kids, my wife, and my MIL.

Plus, it is always good to be able to bust out a molasses recipe every now and then, to mix it up away from the standard chocolate chip.

I'll have Gidget post her Sour Cream Sugar Cookie recipe. They are heavenly. They remind me of the Granny B cookies I used to raid out of the basement vending machines in W Hall at DT.
    LOL...I was about to post that my wife had the "perfect" sugar cookie recipe. I'm seeing a theme here.

BOOOIINNNNGGG!

These are freaking rad cookies. Thanks JeffLebowski. Big hit with a nice cold glass of milk. Made them tonight. I won't share how many we have eaten amongst the 3 kids, my wife, and my MIL.

Plus, it is always good to be able to bust out a molasses recipe every now and then, to mix it up away from the standard chocolate chip.
    These look dang good. I love ginger snaps, but have never tried baking them myself.

What do you all have?
    one thing you can do to mix it up is to substitute almond extract for vanilla extract in your frosting. Our family has grown to prefer almond to vanilla over the years

I too hammered those in W Hall.

Quote Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
    These look dang good. I love ginger snaps, but have never tried baking them myself.
    Give them a try. This is a super easy recipe. I had never made ginger snaps before and they were great, so if I can do it, anyone can do it.

I went convection at 8 mins, let them sit for about 1.5 minutes, and bite into a little ball of chewy-centered cookie erotica. delish! These are great with cold milk. Probably equally tasty with ice cream.

Don't be turned off by the stinky molasses smell. Once they bake, they really get their schwerve on.

I will admit to eating about 10 small cookies tonight. I will also admit to doing about an hour of cardio tomorrow morning.

the whole family enjoyed them.

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

We were all set to make those last Sunday until everyone got sick. They sound delicious and will be a great treat as we savor Oregon and BYU wins Sunday afternoon.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Give them a try. This is a super easy recipe. I had never made ginger snaps before and they were great, so if I can do it, anyone can do it.

I went convection at 8 mins, let them sit for about 1.5 minutes, and bite into a little ball of chewy-centered cookie erotica. delish! These are great with cold milk. Probably equally tasty with ice cream.

Don't be turned off by the stinky molasses smell. Once they bake, they really get their schwerve on.

I will admit to eating about 10 small cookies tonight. I will also admit to doing about an hour of cardio tomorrow morning.

the whole family enjoyed them.
    Very happy to hear you liked them. Yes, they are like crack fresh out of the oven and not at all like the hard store-bought ginger snaps.

I think we do about 8-10 minutes also. I should update the recipe.

Gidget made me specify that these are a frosted cookie recipe. It's more of a sour cream cookie, than sugar cookie. But they are soft and as I said, remind me of Granny B's pink frosted sugar cookie more than anything. The frosting makes the sugar cookies she said. All I know is I love them and eat way too many when she makes them.

Gidget's Sour Cream Sugar Cookies

1 cup butter (room temp)
    2 cups sugar
    2 eggs
    1 cup sour cream
    1 tsp. vanilla
    2 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. salt
    5 cups flour (approx)

Cream together butter and sugar, add in eggs, sour cream and vanilla. Sift together dry ingredients in separate bowl. Combine dry into wet slowly and mix well. Dough will be sticky. Refridgerate covered dough for at least 3 hours. Roll out dough with pin on floured surface to desired thickness (1/4 inch to 1/2 inch). You will need to use extra flour to keep dough from sticking. Cut into desired shapes. Bake at 375 degrees for about 10 to 12 minutes (depending on size or thickness of cookies). Don't let cookies turn brown at edges. Let cool completely before frosting. Frosting recipe to follow . . .

Buttercream Frosting for cookies

1/2 cup butter
    1/4 cup milk
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. vanilla
    4 cups powdered sugar
    food coloring as desired

Mix all ingredients together. Mix well until frosting is fluffy and forming peaks.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Some posts in that food pet peeves thread gave me an idea (I happen to be hungry at the moment). Let's share our favorite cookie recipes. I'll go first.

The following is an old family recipe and is my all-time favorite. They are very good cold, but are simply divine directly from the oven with a glass of milk.

Ginger Snaps (aka Molasses Cookies)

2 C sugar
    ˝ C butter (do not use margarine!!)
    1 C shortening
    2 eggs
    ˝ C molasses (Granny’s is a good brand)
    4 C flour
    3 t baking soda
    1 ˝ t cinnamon
    1 t salt
    1 t ginger

Cream the sugar, butter and shortening. Add remaining ingredients and beat together. Roll into small balls and roll in sugar.
    Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 350 degrees. How long you cook it depends on your preference. We like them crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. To do this, you need to take them out while they are still quite soft and let them sit a minute before you take them off the sheet. Experiment to find what you like. We generally cook for 8-10 minutes in a convection oven.

The best gingersnaps I've ever had came from Zingerman's Deli in Ann Arbor. We used to make trips there just to get them. We kept an empty package in hopes of replicating the recipe some day. These are as close as I've tasted to Zingerman's. Thanks, JL!

One thing Zingerman's had was little ginger crystals sprinkled on top. If we added that, we might have it.

By the way, in case anyone's wondering, the flour's pretty essential...who knew?

Gidget made me specify that these are a frosted cookie recipe. It's more of a sour cream cookie, than sugar cookie. But they are soft and as I said, remind me of Granny B's pink frosted sugar cookie more than anything. The frosting makes the sugar cookies she said. All I know is I love them and eat way too many when she makes them.

Gidget's Sour Cream Sugar Cookies

1 cup butter (room temp)
    2 cups sugar
    2 eggs
    1 cup sour cream
    1 tsp. vanilla
    2 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. salt
    5 cups flour (approx)

Cream together butter and sugar, add in eggs, sour cream and vanilla. Sift together dry ingredients in separate bowl. Combine dry into wet slowly and mix well. Dough will be sticky. Refridgerate covered dough for at least 3 hours. Roll out dough with pin on floured surface to desired thickness (1/4 inch to 1/2 inch). You will need to use extra flour to keep dough from sticking. Cut into desired shapes. Bake at 375 degrees for about 10 to 12 minutes (depending on size or thickness of cookies). Don't let cookies turn brown at edges. Let cool completely before frosting. Frosting recipe to follow . . .

Buttercream Frosting for cookies

1/2 cup butter
    1/4 cup milk
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. vanilla
    4 cups powdered sugar
    food coloring as desired

Mix all ingredients together. Mix well until frosting is fluffy and forming peaks.
    This is pretty close to Salsa's. Her comment when I said people were posting white cookie recipes was that if they don't have sour cream, they're not even worth trying.

Philosophical Goldilocks Gidget's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
    This is pretty close to Salsa's. Her comment when I said people were posting white cookie recipes was that if they don't have sour cream, they're not even worth trying.
    Good woman. She's right, the sour cream is what makes the cookie stay soft and chewy for so long. This recipe above is one I have tweaked to my liking. But it isn't technically a "sugar cookie" because the frosting is just as important with these as the dough.
    I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PAC

You know how President Hinckley said he doesn't worry about those who pray? The same can be said for men who are self-aware enough to know when there's a life to be lived outside of the world of video games. - Anonymous