Cookie Recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    While burning off some calories the other day, I estimated that I've probably eaten more than 7,000 of those things (cookies, not recipes) over the years, thus leading to 35+ years of unspeakable connubial bliss.
    Only 7,000? My first thought is that seems like a low estimate. Only 200/year. I would probably put my estimate at at least 300/year, if not 1 per day.

The PAC family also holds a recipe for unimaginably delicious cinnamon rolls. The prep is pretty time consuming, though, so in our house, it's reserved for Christmas morning and General Conference Sunday. The recipe also doubles to make great dinner rolls.

Not trying to one-up anyone here, but I married into a family that's quite talented in the kitchen -- and, fortunately, has a great metabolism.
    I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Parrot Head View Post
      Only 7,000? My first thought is that seems like a low estimate. Only 200/year. I would probably put my estimate at at least 300/year, if not 1 per day.

The PAC family also holds a recipe for unimaginably delicious cinnamon rolls. The prep is pretty time consuming, though, so in our house, it's reserved for Christmas morning and General Conference Sunday. The recipe also doubles to make great dinner rolls.

Not trying to one-up anyone here, but I married into a family that's quite talented in the kitchen -- and, fortunately, has a great metabolism.
      Well if you two are going to continue to brag about these awesome cookies, the recipe for which you are not willing to share with your dear friends on CUF, why don't you just take your high-fiving offline? TIA.

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• I don't get the whole "family recipe" thing. What is the point of it?
        Get confident, stupid
        -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
          Which of you and ldc is Asian?
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• There is something so magnificently spartan about No-Bake cookies. Simple ingredients that most households have readily available. Just throw in some oatmeal, sugar, milk, butter, cocoa, PB and vanilla; get it hot and then let it cool. It's that simple, but the results are so amazing.

This is for pooh-poohing on the No Bake thread.... Take THAT HFN and marsupial..:finger3:

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              My wife has a great sugar cookie recipe. Soft and chewy. I think I have it here on my laptop.

Here you go. It makes a huge batch, so be warned.

Grandma Taylor's Sugar Cookies

4 eggs
              2 Cups shortening
              4 Cups sugar
              2 Cups buttermilk
              1 tsp. vanilla
              1 tsp. lemon extract
              2 tsp. baking soda
              1 tsp. salt
              Enough flour to make a soft dough. About 9 cups

Cream eggs, shortening and sugar. Add buttermilk, vanilla and lemon, blend until creamy. Slowly add the dry ingredients. The dough will be very soft. Roll out on a lightly floured surface. Bake at 350 for about 8-10 minutes. I like a softer cookie so I reduce the heat to about 325 and bake until the cookies spring back. This is a big recipe that makes dozens of sugar cookies. My grandma had 15 children and so she had to cook for an army. These cookies freeze well or you can half the recipe.

This is a very old recipe. My grandma was one of those good cooks who didn't measure things and it turned out perfect every time. I am not that good, so I measure my flour. I also like to crush up peppermints and mix them into the dough. It makes it a chewy cookie and gives it a good flavor.
              This recipe is the gift that keeps on giving.
              "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
              -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

• Originally posted by Solon View Post
                This recipe is the gift that keeps on giving.

Here is another great recipe we have been making lately:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Oatmeal...II/Detail.aspx

Those five stars are well-deserved. I recommend doubling the batch. Make sure you don't overcook them.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
                  A 2 page cookie recipe thread with only 4 actual recipies. Well, here is a 5th, Grandpa Everton's Oatmeal cookies. Feel free to play around with replacing chocolate chips with raisins, or coconut with walnuts. They are better a little undercooked than overcooked. At SLC altitude, 11-12 minutes is just right to get a crisp outside and chewy inside.

½ cup Shortening
                  ½ cup brown sugar
                  ½ cup sugar
                  cream together

1 beaten egg
                  2 Tbs water
                  ½ tsp vanilla
                  Add to mixture

2 Tbs + ¾ cup flour
                  ½ tsp baking powder
                  ¼ tsp banking soda
                  ½ tsp salt
                  Sift and add

2 cups rolled oats
                  1 cup coconut
                  6 oz chocolate chips

Final mixture should be stiff but not quite dry. Add slightly more or less oats to obtain right consistency. Drop on greased baking sheet and bake at 375 for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
                  Fall brings the return of cookie Sunday's in our house. These were awesome cookies, and probably my favorite that we have made from the thread yet.

Get confident, stupid
                  -landpoke

Comment

Fall brings the return of cookie Sunday's in our house. These were awesome cookies, and probably my favorite that we have made from the thread yet.

HFN, your kids are the cutest, and your son's expressions are always hilarious.
                    "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

Comment

Fall brings the return of cookie Sunday's in our house. These were awesome cookies, and probably my favorite that we have made from the thread yet.]
                      I'm glad you liked them. Grandpa Everton is in a care facility now with advanced dementia, and Grandma Everton has passed on. In additions to being my favorite tasting cookies, the also bring back great memories of visiting him and my grandma when we were kids.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
                        I'm glad you liked them. Grandpa Everton is in a care facility now with advanced dementia, and Grandma Everton has passed on. In additions to being my favorite tasting cookies, the also bring back great memories of visiting him and my grandma when we were kids.
                        I made these cookies tonight and they were great. I actually like a plain oatmeal cookie, so I made them without any chocolate chips and really liked them. The coconut added a nice texture to them. Unlike a lot of cookies, I actually think they were better when they cooled down as opposed to warm out of the oven. Thanks for the recipe.
                        As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• I had forgotten how amazing these were, this might be my new favorite thing about the holidays. Jeff Lebowski is awesome!
                          Get confident, stupid
                          -landpoke

Comment

• Are those the Ginger molasses ones? That is an incredible yield off that recipe.
                            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Keeping the dough ball to a smaller size is important. On the first batch I wanted to make them bigger but they did not turn out as well.

Great recipe Duderino, we doubled it so we will be giving these to our neighbors for a Christmas gift.
                              Originally posted by falafel View Post
                              This recipe makes a ton of cookies. Someone's kid kept getting in the way.

Those same intrusive kids enjoying their first-ever ginger snaps. The male child looks like he's choking it down, but he really actually enjoyed the cookies.

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                              I had forgotten how amazing these were, this might be my new favorite thing about the holidays. Jeff Lebowski is awesome!
                              Looks like you screwed them up this time. Still taste good?

We made these cookies to give out as neighbor gifts this year. My wife, however, decided that rather than keep the leftovers, she would instead find more neighbors to give them to.
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• That warms my heart.

I am really really hungry. This thread isn't helping me.

Comment

Working...
                                X