Cookie Recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cookie Recipes

Some posts in that food pet peeves thread gave me an idea (I happen to be hungry at the moment). Let's share our favorite cookie recipes. I'll go first.

The following is an old family recipe and is my all-time favorite. They are very good cold, but are simply divine directly from the oven with a glass of milk.

Ginger Snaps (aka Molasses Cookies)

2 C sugar
    ½ C butter (do not use margarine!!)
    1 C shortening
    2 eggs
    ½ C molasses (Granny’s is a good brand)
    4 C flour
    3 t baking soda
    1 ½ t cinnamon
    1 t salt
    1 t ginger

Cream the sugar, butter and shortening. Add remaining ingredients and beat together. Roll into small balls and roll in sugar.
    Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 350 degrees. How long you cook it depends on your preference. We like them crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. To do this, you need to take them out while they are still quite soft and let them sit a minute before you take them off the sheet. Experiment to find what you like. We generally cook for 8-10 minutes in a convection oven.

Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 10-23-2009, 10:15 PM.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

"THIS IS TRUE----PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO READ IT AND PLEASE SEND THIS TO EVERY PERSON YOU KNOW WHO HAS AN E-MAIL ADDRESS....THIS IS REALLY TERRIFIC."

My daughter & I had just finished a salad at Neiman-Marcus Cafe in Dallas & decided to have a small dessert. Because both of us are such cookie lovers, we decided to try the "Neiman-Marcus Cookie". {EDITORIAL COMMENT: Neiman's is a VERY EXPENSIVE department store in the United States a.k.a. Needless Markup}.

It was so excellent that I asked if they would give me the recipe and the waitress said with a small frown, "I'm afraid not." "Well", I said, would you let me buy the recipe?"

With a cute smile, she said, "Yes." I asked how much, and she responded, "only two fifty, it's a great deal!" I said with approval, "just add it to my tab."

Thirty days later, I received my VISA statement from Neiman-Marcus and it was $285.00. I looked again and I remembered I had only spent $9.95 for two salads and about $20.00 for a scarf. As I glanced at the bottom of the statement, it said, "Cookie Recipe $250.00."

That's outrageous!! I called Neiman's Accounting Dept. and told them the waitress said it was "two-fifty," which clearly does not mean "two hundred and fifty dollars" by any *POSSIBLE* interpretation of the phrase. Neiman-Marcus refused to budge. They would not refund my money, because according to them, "What the waitress told you is not our problem. You have already seen the recipe - we absolutely will not refund your money at this point."

I explained to her the criminal statutes which govern fraud in Texas, I threatened to refer them to the Better Business Bureau and the State's Attorney General for engaging in fraud. I was basically told, "Do what you want, we don't give a crap, and we're not refunding your money."

I waited, thinking of how I could get even, or even try and get any of my money back. I just said, "Okay, you folks got my $250, and now I'm going to have $250.00 worth of fun."

I told her that I was going to see to it that every cookie lover in the United States with an e-mail account has a $250.00 cookie recipe from Neiman-Marcus for free. She replied," I wish you wouldn't do this." I said, "Well, you should have thought of that before you ripped me off", and slammed down the phone on her. So, here it is!!!

Please, please, please pass it on to everyone you can possibly think of. I paid $250 dollars for this... I don't want Neiman-Marcus to *EVER* get another penny off of this recipe....

Neiman Marcus Cookie Recipe

(Recipe may be halved):
    2 cups butter
    4 cups flour
    2 tsp. soda
    2 cups sugar
    5 cups blended oatmeal**
    24 oz. chocolate chips
    2 cups brown sugar
    1 tsp. salt
    1 8 oz. Hershey Bar (grated)
    4 eggs
    2 tsp. baking powder
    2 tsp. vanilla
    3 cups chopped nuts (your choice)

** Measure oatmeal and blend in a blender to a fine powder. Cream the butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla; mix together with flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder, and soda. Add chocolate chips, Hershey Bar and nuts. Roll into balls and place two inches apart on a cookie sheet.

Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees. Makes 112 cookies.

Have fun!!! This is *NOT* a joke --- this is a true story..
    Ride free, citizens!
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
      "THIS IS TRUE----PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO READ IT AND PLEASE SEND THIS TO EVERY PERSON YOU KNOW WHO HAS AN E-MAIL ADDRESS....THIS IS REALLY TERRIFIC."
      Are you mocking me?
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

The NM cookie recipe urban legend is annoying. A credit card statement that itemizes the overall charges by individual SKU? Please.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

I love nuts in a cookie; preferably walnuts.
          Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
            I love nuts in a cookie; preferably walnuts.
            This may be the second time* in my life when I have thought... "If only I had married MBN."

Walnuts make any baked good better. Danimal disagrees.

*Of course the first time was when I caught a glimpse of those white overalls. Rarr!
            What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
            -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              Some posts in that food pet peeves thread gave me an idea (I happen to be hungry at the moment). Let's share our favorite cookie recipes. I'll go first.

The following is an old family recipe and is my all-time favorite. They are very good cold, but are simply divine directly from the oven with a glass of milk.

Ginger Snaps (aka Molasses Cookies)

2 C sugar
              ½ C butter (do not use margarine!!)
              1 C shortening
              2 eggs
              ½ C molasses (Granny’s is a good brand)
              4 C flour
              3 t baking soda
              1 ½ t cinnamon
              1 t salt
              1 t ginger

Cream the sugar, butter and shortening. Add remaining ingredients and beat together. Roll into small balls and roll in sugar.
              Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 350 degrees. How long you cook it depends on your preference. We like them crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. To do this, you need to take them out while they are still quite soft and let them sit a minute before you take them off the sheet. Experiment to find what you like.

Thanks. I think will try this sometime. I like ginger snaps. I am a cookie monster though. I love all cookies.
              What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
              -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Originally posted by marsupial View Post
                This may be the second time* in my life when I have thought... "If only I had married MBN."

*Of course the first time was when I caught a glimpse of those white overalls. Rarr!
                Third time for me and agree about the white overalls.

Comment

Pride of Iowa cookies

1 cup brown sugar
                  1 cup butter
                  1 cup coconut
                  ½ teaspoon salt
                  3 cups quick oats
                  1 teaspoon vanilla extract
                  1 cup sugar
                  2 eggs
                  1 teaspoon baking soda
                  1 teaspoon baking powder
                  2 cups flour
                  1 cup chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 325 F.
                  Cream butter and sugars together. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix in flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and oatmeal. Stir in coconut and nuts. Drop by teaspoon onto greased cookie sheets. Bake for 15 minutes. Cool on wire racks.

Other yummy additions I have tried: chocolate chips, cinnamon chips, raisins or cranberries and orange zest
                  -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    Are you mocking me?
                    No, I was just trying to be humorous. If this was failblog I would go back and stamp a giant fail on it. Sorry.
                    Get confident, stupid
                    -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                      No, I was just trying to be humorous. If this was failblog I would go back and stamp a giant fail on it. Sorry.
                      FTR, I laughed when I saw it.

Comment

Pride of Iowa cookies

1 cup brown sugar
                        1 cup butter
                        1 cup coconut
                        ½ teaspoon salt
                        3 cups quick oats
                        1 teaspoon vanilla extract
                        1 cup sugar
                        2 eggs
                        1 teaspoon baking soda
                        1 teaspoon baking powder
                        2 cups flour
                        1 cup chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 325 F.
                        Cream butter and sugars together. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix in flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and oatmeal. Stir in coconut and nuts. Drop by teaspoon onto greased cookie sheets. Bake for 15 minutes. Cool on wire racks.

Other yummy additions I have tried: chocolate chips, cinnamon chips, raisins or cranberries and orange zest
                        what are cinnzmon chips? they so9und good.
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

I love walnuts and macadamia nuts in cookies and brownies. They're also my favorite topping on a bowl of ice cream.
                          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

Comment

marsupial's streak of saying awesome stuff comes to an abrupt end.

I'm allergic to walnuts.
                            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              marsupial's streak of saying awesome stuff comes to an abrupt end.

I'm allergic to walnuts.
                              To that I say--Thank goodness I didn't marry you!
                              -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Working...
                              X