No announcement yet.

Cookie Recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another successful batch of lebowski's famous ginger snap cookies is in the books. Those things are unbelievably good straight out of the oven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
        These were a smash hit with both my kids, and the YM in our ward today. Once again Captain served as my helper in making another CUF tasty treat.

I was looking through this thread looking for something to take my Sunday school kids last week and this post made me feel really nostalgic. Time seems to be going by at an alarming pace.

Bean and I made these and they were a again a smash hit

D0574D7C-FF67-48D8-92CF-04A1C4685492.jpgC5FC87C1-E14E-458D-BA5C-A730ADB31F01.jpg
        Get confident, stupid
        -landpoke

Comment

• My children left molasses cookies for Santa this year. Lucky guy!

IMG_3086.jpg
          "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• https://www.geniuskitchen.com/amp/re...kitchen-419087

America's Test Kitchen Brown Sugar Cookies.

Takes a tad bit of effort, just because you have to brown the butter, but really only takes about 15 minutes to prepare. Be liberal with the sugar-brown sugar topping. Don't overcook them. Unbelievably good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              Some posts in that food pet peeves thread gave me an idea (I happen to be hungry at the moment). Let's share our favorite cookie recipes. I'll go first.

The following is an old family recipe and is my all-time favorite. They are very good cold, but are simply divine directly from the oven with a glass of milk.

Ginger Snaps (aka Molasses Cookies)

2 C sugar
              ½ C butter (do not use margarine!!)
              1 C shortening
              2 eggs
              ½ C molasses (Granny’s is a good brand)
              4 C flour
              3 t baking soda
              1 ½ t cinnamon
              1 t salt
              1 t ginger

Cream the sugar, butter and shortening. Add remaining ingredients and beat together. Roll into small balls and roll in sugar.
              Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 350 degrees. How long you cook it depends on your preference. We like them crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. To do this, you need to take them out while they are still quite soft and let them sit a minute before you take them off the sheet. Experiment to find what you like. We generally cook for 8-10 minutes in a convection oven.

We hadn't made cookies in months so I went back to the Dude's gingersnaps yesterday which has become my go-to and a crowd favorite at my house. I was feeling adventurous so in the last batch I added milk chocolate chips to a handful of cookies and butterscotch chips to some others. The milk chocolate ones we ok but the chips were too overpowering. Probably won't do it again. But the butterscotch chip variety were *chef's kiss*. It paired very well with the ginger/molasses flavor and made for a great cookie. The original will continue to be made but will probably add a couple batches of the butterscotch chip variation when I make the going forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post

We hadn't made cookies in months so I went back to the Dude's gingersnaps yesterday which has become my go-to and a crowd favorite at my house. I was feeling adventurous so in the last batch I added milk chocolate chips to a handful of cookies and butterscotch chips to some others. The milk chocolate ones we ok but the chips were too overpowering. Probably won't do it again. But the butterscotch chip variety were *chef's kiss*. It paired very well with the ginger/molasses flavor and made for a great cookie. The original will continue to be made but will probably add a couple batches of the butterscotch chip variation when I make the going forward.
                Interesting. Never have tried that.

I recommend pressing the dough into mini pie tins to make "pizzookies" and then serving hot with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Heavenly.

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

I recommend pressing the dough into mini pie tins to make "pizzookies" and then serving hot with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Heavenly.
                  The pizzokie/ice cream variation will be happening this Sunday.

Comment

Oh wow that sounds incredible.

I will reiterate that I love this recipe. I have probably made it over 100 times. My daughter has started making them on her own too (she's 14), so that's another 5-6 times. When I make them for other people, I have to admit that I do not give Grandma Lebowski the credit she deserves.
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post

Oh wow that sounds incredible.

I will reiterate that I love this recipe. I have probably made it over 100 times. My daughter has started making them on her own too (she's 14), so that's another 5-6 times. When I make them for other people, I have to admit that I do not give Grandma Lebowski the credit she deserves.
                      I was just thinking that this thread makes me sentimental. I really miss her.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."

Comment

• Holy Hannah! These are tasty. Thanks for sharing, Dude! And praise the name of Grandma Lebowski forever.

I had to compare this receipe to my Mom's, since I don't remember hers as being this good. My Mom puts 3/4 cup of wheat flour in hers. She always tries to make things healthier. Well after the shortening and butter, I don't think the whole wheat flour is making much of a difference!

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post

The pizzokie/ice cream variation will be happening this Sunday.
                          Return and report.

Sometimes on my birthday I request this in lieu of a cake.

Comment

Some posts in that food pet peeves thread gave me an idea (I happen to be hungry at the moment). Let's share our favorite cookie recipes. I'll go first.

The following is an old family recipe and is my all-time favorite. They are very good cold, but are simply divine directly from the oven with a glass of milk.

Ginger Snaps (aka Molasses Cookies)

2 C sugar
                            ½ C butter (do not use margarine!!)
                            1 C shortening
                            2 eggs
                            ½ C molasses (Granny’s is a good brand)
                            4 C flour
                            3 t baking soda
                            1 ½ t cinnamon
                            1 t salt
                            1 t ginger

Cream the sugar, butter and shortening. Add remaining ingredients and beat together. Roll into small balls and roll in sugar.
                            Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 350 degrees. How long you cook it depends on your preference. We like them crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. To do this, you need to take them out while they are still quite soft and let them sit a minute before you take them off the sheet. Experiment to find what you like. We generally cook for 8-10 minutes in a convection oven.

My first time making the Dude's ginger snap recipe was very late this past Saturday night. I made a few mistakes.

My first mistake was the size of the cookies. I made them way too big. My second error was overestimating the difference between cooking time in a conventional oven versus a convection oven.

I figured i would start at the high end of the convection range for my conventional oven - 10 minutes. When i checked them, they looked a long way from done. They still hadn't even spread out all the way and the tops didn't even appear to have changed color. So I left them in and checked on them every couple of minutes, pulling them out after about 16 minutes. The next batch was ready to go in, so I set it for 16 minutes. That was at least the third mistake.

I didn't taste any until the third batch was already in the oven. Crunch. I started making them much smaller and set the oven for 13 minutes. Those turned out better but were still too crunchy.

Luckily, the crunchiness of the cookies didn't much deter the youth from consuming them when I took the cookies to Sunday School.

So today I decided to try again. I made the cookies much smaller and put the first batch in for 9 minutes, smashing them down a little beforehand. I tasted one while the second batch was in the oven and decided to go down to 8 minutes.

The result is a lovely ginger snap cookie.

Thanks, Dude.
                            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post

My first time making the Dude's ginger snap recipe was very late this past Saturday night. I made a few mistakes.

My first mistake was the size of the cookies. I made them way too big. My second error was overestimating the difference between cooking time in a conventional oven versus a convection oven.

I figured i would start at the high end of the convection range for my conventional oven - 10 minutes. When i checked them, they looked a long way from done. They still hadn't even spread out all the way and the tops didn't even appear to have changed color. So I left them in and checked on them every couple of minutes, pulling them out after about 16 minutes. The next batch was ready to go in, so I set it for 16 minutes. That was at least the third mistake.

I didn't taste any until the third batch was already in the oven. Crunch. I started making them much smaller and set the oven for 13 minutes. Those turned out better but were still too crunchy.

Luckily, the crunchiness of the cookies didn't much deter the youth from consuming them when I took the cookies to Sunday School.

So today I decided to try again. I made the cookies much smaller and put the first batch in for 9 minutes, smashing them down a little beforehand. I tasted one while the second batch was in the oven and decided to go down to 8 minutes.

The result is a lovely ginger snap cookie.

Thanks, Dude.
                              I’ve Meade them to small in the past, so I made them a bit bigger this time. After the first dozen came of or the oven it gooey in the middle. I did the slight smashing on the rest and they turned out great.

Comment

Working...
                              X