Cookie Recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    I agree convection is the way to go, I have really liked it.
    Do you have one? We haven't experimented too much with it yet. So far, the biggest difference I've noticed is with cookies. I baked a lasagna in it and noticed no difference--in fact, I tried to do it on the "convection convert" temp and had to cook it a little longer.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
      Do you have one? We haven't experimented too much with it yet. So far, the biggest difference I've noticed is with cookies. I baked a lasagna in it and noticed no difference--in fact, I tried to do it on the "convection convert" temp and had to cook it a little longer.
      We use it for everything except cakes. For some reason it always makes cakes really dry, at least IMO. I haven't noticed it taking longer, but maybe I just haven't been paying attention.

The difference I have noticed, and especially after I come back from the cabin with an old oven, is that there are no hot spots when you use convection. Everything gets cooked the same. Our oven at the cabin always has one part that is almost burned, or if we pull it out when that part is just right a different part is underdone.
      Get confident, stupid
      -landpoke

Comment

The biggest difference we notes on cookies is that you can put 3-4 sheets in at the same time and they all come out fine.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I have my chocolate chip cookie recipe down to a science. We replaced our oven this last winter w/ a convection unit, but I haven't used it yet for cookies because I don't want to mess with a good thing. My wife does use it and cooks both pans of cookies at the same time.
          "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            The biggest difference we notes on cookies is that you can put 3-4 sheets in at the same time and they all come out fine.
            We have noticed the same thing. It is a very good thing.
            “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
            ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
            -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
            --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
              Best ever chocolate chip cookies. Very simple, but totally awesome:

1 cup butter
              3/4 cup sugar
              1 cup brown sugar

2 eggs
              2 t vanilla

3 cups four
              1/2 t salt
              3/4 t baking soda

1 cup chocolate chips

Cream the butter and sugars together. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients and add to the rest. Then the chips (can't remember the quantity of chips for sure - go with what looks good.)

IMO, the best chocolate chip cookies are still a little gooey when you pull them out of the oven and put them on a cooling rack. That will give them the best consistency when you eat them a few minutes later. In my oven, that means 340 degrees for 12 min.

Don't overmix. There is a significant difference between doing this all by hand with a wooden spoon (preferred) and using beaters or a mixer.

This is a very simple recipe, but with real butter and vanilla, you can't go wrong. I usually cut this recipe in half and make 24 cookies.
              Looks like a great recipe. If you feel like experimenting (looks like you may not) you can cut in 1/2 cup of a high-quality margarine in place of 1/2 the butter. You'll get a slightly less crunchy, "blonder" cookie. I prefer a 100% butter recipe myself, but we do make that change now and then just for a different texture. It makes a slightly more cake-like cookie.
              Last edited by LA Ute; 08-24-2009, 09:41 PM.
              “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
              ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
              -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
              --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Alton Brown did an awesome cookie show. I learned from it that the amount of brown sugar is what dictates chewiness.
                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                -Turtle
                sigpic

Comment

Can I just say that baking cookies in a convection oven is a whole new world of greatness? We have several good recipes that have always worked pretty well, but they are amazing in our new oven.
                  I have a convection oven. I never think to use it. Perhaps I should pull out the manual. What types of things is the convection feature good for?
                  What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
                  -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Originally posted by marsupial View Post
                    I have a convection oven. I never think to use it. Perhaps I should pull out the manual. What types of things is the convection feature good for?
                    Cookies.

Like JL said, it allows you to bake a batch in cookies much more quickly because you can put in several sheets at a time. I've also noticed that they cook more evenly, i.e. bottoms don't burn.
                    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                      Looks like a great recipe. If you feel like experimenting (looks like you may not) you can cut in 1/2 cup of a high-quality margarine in place of 1/2 the butter. You'll get a slightly less crunchy, "blonder" cookie. I prefer a 100% butter recipe myself, but we do make that change now and then just for a different texture. It makes a slightly more cake-like cookie.
                      I don't mind trying new things, but substituting margarine for butter in a cookie recipe isn't one of those things. If you don't overbake the cookies you can get a nice, chewy cookie with butter.
                      "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                        I have Mrs Fields' actual recipe, if you want it. It is very good (although you need to reduce it; the recipe makes about 500 cookies) but it is a ltitle scary to see how much butter goes into those babies.
                        Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                        Post the recipe, Monkey Man. It's been over eight months.
                        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        He sent it to me via PM. Eight months ago. Delish.
                        Despite your obvious collusion with Lebowski to prevent me from making these cookies, I thwarted your efforts tonight Creekster. I halved the recipe, but that still included 2 sticks of butter! I also swapped the raisins for chocolate chips, as I do not care for old fruit. They ended up being very tasty. My oven cooks hot, or I'm closer to the equator, or whatever it is, so my cookies only needed 6-7 mintues instead of 8-10.

I also took down chrisenrut's oatmeal cooke recipe, or I should say Grandpa Everton's recipe. I'll make those next time I have shortening on hand, which wasn't today.
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

So today at Stake Conf. HFN Jr. started talking about how the best cookie in the world comes from his school cafeteria. I thought what better time to resume HFN and kids make the cookies of CUF series.

So without further ado, we made kcc's chocolate chip cookies. Much easier than DDD's recipe. I will need to plan ahead to make other people's recipes. Molasses and coconut? These aren't just things we have on hand in our pantry.
                          Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                          Best ever chocolate chip cookies. Very simple, but totally awesome:
                          1 cup butter
                          3/4 cup sugar
                          1 cup brown sugar
                          2 eggs
                          2 t vanilla
                          3 cups four
                          1/2 t salt
                          3/4 t baking soda
                          1 cup chocolate chips

Cream the butter and sugars together. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients and add to the rest. Then the chips (can't remember the quantity of chips for sure - go with what looks good.)
                          Don't overmix. There is a significant difference between doing this all by hand with a wooden spoon (preferred) and using beaters or a mixer.
                          Notice the wood spoon, we follow directions well!

One cup didn't look good so we added more chips.

Ready to bake. No I didn't put them in the microwave, I guess it has been left open for a while.

Finished

Goose loved it, HFN Jr. said the ones from his school are a little better.
                          Get confident, stupid
                          -landpoke

Comment

Jacksonville Jaguars!!! :yikes:
                            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              Jacksonville is the largest city in the US.
                              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                                I have no idea what your emoticon means. I have always liked the Jags I have no idea why. But I really don't care, or watch their games, maybe it is just the teal!
                                Get confident, stupid
                                -landpoke

Comment

Working...
                                X