Cookie Recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Solon View Post
    In the spirit of HFN, here are a couple of photos, although they're more of my kid than of the cookies:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30222670@N05/4035868932/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30222670@N05/4035868940/

That's right. We go topless when we make cookies at my house.
    Cute. I love how quickly eating goes to wearing food with little kids.

Comment

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
      My wife has a great sugar cookie recipe. In fact, when she makes them we always sneak them over to my neighbor across the street who really, really likes them but can't publically admit it because his wife has a sugar cookie recipe that she is very proud of.

I'll post the recipe tonight.
      I'm doing something here that would get me suspended on cougarboard: I am directly calling out KCCougar in this thread.

The crime: empty promises of sugar cookie recipes

The punishment: I-15 road trip with exUte and Ann Coulter's "Godless" books on tape.
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
        I'm doing something here that would get me suspended on cougarboard: I am directly calling out KCCougar in this thread.

The crime: empty promises of sugar cookie recipes

The punishment: I-15 road trip with exUte and Ann Coulter's "Godless" books on tape.
        I'll have Gidget post her Sour Cream Sugar Cookie recipe. They are heavenly. They remind me of the Granny B cookies I used to raid out of the basement vending machines in W Hall at DT.
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Some posts in that food pet peeves thread gave me an idea (I happen to be hungry at the moment). Let's share our favorite cookie recipes. I'll go first.

The following is an old family recipe and is my all-time favorite. They are very good cold, but are simply divine directly from the oven with a glass of milk.

Ginger Snaps (aka Molasses Cookies)

2 C sugar
          ½ C butter (do not use margarine!!)
          1 C shortening
          2 eggs
          ½ C molasses (Granny’s is a good brand)
          4 C flour
          3 t baking soda
          1 ½ t cinnamon
          1 t salt
          1 t ginger

Cream the sugar, butter and shortening. Add remaining ingredients and beat together. Roll into small balls and roll in sugar.
          Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 350 degrees. How long you cook it depends on your preference. We like them crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. To do this, you need to take them out while they are still quite soft and let them sit a minute before you take them off the sheet. Experiment to find what you like.

BOOOIINNNNGGG!

These are freaking rad cookies. Thanks JeffLebowski. Big hit with a nice cold glass of milk. Made them tonight. I won't share how many we have eaten amongst the 3 kids, my wife, and my MIL.

Plus, it is always good to be able to bust out a molasses recipe every now and then, to mix it up away from the standard chocolate chip.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
            I'll have Gidget post her Sour Cream Sugar Cookie recipe. They are heavenly. They remind me of the Granny B cookies I used to raid out of the basement vending machines in W Hall at DT.
            LOL...I was about to post that my wife had the "perfect" sugar cookie recipe. I'm seeing a theme here.
            At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
            -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

BOOOIINNNNGGG!

These are freaking rad cookies. Thanks JeffLebowski. Big hit with a nice cold glass of milk. Made them tonight. I won't share how many we have eaten amongst the 3 kids, my wife, and my MIL.

Plus, it is always good to be able to bust out a molasses recipe every now and then, to mix it up away from the standard chocolate chip.
              These look dang good. I love ginger snaps, but have never tried baking them myself.
              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by Solon View Post
                I need a good sugar cookie recipe. I make cookies about once a week with my two-year-old. We mix it up, but lately she really loves using cookie cutters and applying frosting.

I know that sugar cookies are not that complicated. They're the hamburger-helper of the cookie world.

I know that the main trick is to under-, not overcook them. I know cookie thickness makes a difference.

But I'm tired of my mother-in-law's simple recipe. It's fine, but that's it. There's gotta be something better out there.

What do you all have?
                one thing you can do to mix it up is to substitute almond extract for vanilla extract in your frosting. Our family has grown to prefer almond to vanilla over the years
                Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

I too hammered those in W Hall.
                  Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                    These look dang good. I love ginger snaps, but have never tried baking them myself.
                    Give them a try. This is a super easy recipe. I had never made ginger snaps before and they were great, so if I can do it, anyone can do it.

I went convection at 8 mins, let them sit for about 1.5 minutes, and bite into a little ball of chewy-centered cookie erotica. delish! These are great with cold milk. Probably equally tasty with ice cream.

Don't be turned off by the stinky molasses smell. Once they bake, they really get their schwerve on.

I will admit to eating about 10 small cookies tonight. I will also admit to doing about an hour of cardio tomorrow morning.

the whole family enjoyed them.

sigpic

Comment

We were all set to make those last Sunday until everyone got sick. They sound delicious and will be a great treat as we savor Oregon and BYU wins Sunday afternoon.
                      Get confident, stupid
                      -landpoke

Comment

Give them a try. This is a super easy recipe. I had never made ginger snaps before and they were great, so if I can do it, anyone can do it.

I went convection at 8 mins, let them sit for about 1.5 minutes, and bite into a little ball of chewy-centered cookie erotica. delish! These are great with cold milk. Probably equally tasty with ice cream.

Don't be turned off by the stinky molasses smell. Once they bake, they really get their schwerve on.

I will admit to eating about 10 small cookies tonight. I will also admit to doing about an hour of cardio tomorrow morning.

the whole family enjoyed them.
                        Very happy to hear you liked them. Yes, they are like crack fresh out of the oven and not at all like the hard store-bought ginger snaps.

I think we do about 8-10 minutes also. I should update the recipe.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Gidget made me specify that these are a frosted cookie recipe. It's more of a sour cream cookie, than sugar cookie. But they are soft and as I said, remind me of Granny B's pink frosted sugar cookie more than anything. The frosting makes the sugar cookies she said. All I know is I love them and eat way too many when she makes them.

Gidget's Sour Cream Sugar Cookies

1 cup butter (room temp)
                          2 cups sugar
                          2 eggs
                          1 cup sour cream
                          1 tsp. vanilla
                          2 tsp. baking powder
                          1 tsp. baking soda
                          1/2 tsp. salt
                          5 cups flour (approx)

Cream together butter and sugar, add in eggs, sour cream and vanilla. Sift together dry ingredients in separate bowl. Combine dry into wet slowly and mix well. Dough will be sticky. Refridgerate covered dough for at least 3 hours. Roll out dough with pin on floured surface to desired thickness (1/4 inch to 1/2 inch). You will need to use extra flour to keep dough from sticking. Cut into desired shapes. Bake at 375 degrees for about 10 to 12 minutes (depending on size or thickness of cookies). Don't let cookies turn brown at edges. Let cool completely before frosting. Frosting recipe to follow . . .

Buttercream Frosting for cookies

1/2 cup butter
                          1/4 cup milk
                          1/4 tsp. salt
                          1 tsp. vanilla
                          4 cups powdered sugar
                          food coloring as desired

Mix all ingredients together. Mix well until frosting is fluffy and forming peaks.
                          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            Some posts in that food pet peeves thread gave me an idea (I happen to be hungry at the moment). Let's share our favorite cookie recipes. I'll go first.

The following is an old family recipe and is my all-time favorite. They are very good cold, but are simply divine directly from the oven with a glass of milk.

Ginger Snaps (aka Molasses Cookies)

2 C sugar
                            ½ C butter (do not use margarine!!)
                            1 C shortening
                            2 eggs
                            ½ C molasses (Granny’s is a good brand)
                            4 C flour
                            3 t baking soda
                            1 ½ t cinnamon
                            1 t salt
                            1 t ginger

Cream the sugar, butter and shortening. Add remaining ingredients and beat together. Roll into small balls and roll in sugar.
                            Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 350 degrees. How long you cook it depends on your preference. We like them crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. To do this, you need to take them out while they are still quite soft and let them sit a minute before you take them off the sheet. Experiment to find what you like. We generally cook for 8-10 minutes in a convection oven.

The best gingersnaps I've ever had came from Zingerman's Deli in Ann Arbor. We used to make trips there just to get them. We kept an empty package in hopes of replicating the recipe some day. These are as close as I've tasted to Zingerman's. Thanks, JL!

One thing Zingerman's had was little ginger crystals sprinkled on top. If we added that, we might have it.

By the way, in case anyone's wondering, the flour's pretty essential...who knew?
                            -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Gidget made me specify that these are a frosted cookie recipe. It's more of a sour cream cookie, than sugar cookie. But they are soft and as I said, remind me of Granny B's pink frosted sugar cookie more than anything. The frosting makes the sugar cookies she said. All I know is I love them and eat way too many when she makes them.

Gidget's Sour Cream Sugar Cookies

1 cup butter (room temp)
                              2 cups sugar
                              2 eggs
                              1 cup sour cream
                              1 tsp. vanilla
                              2 tsp. baking powder
                              1 tsp. baking soda
                              1/2 tsp. salt
                              5 cups flour (approx)

Cream together butter and sugar, add in eggs, sour cream and vanilla. Sift together dry ingredients in separate bowl. Combine dry into wet slowly and mix well. Dough will be sticky. Refridgerate covered dough for at least 3 hours. Roll out dough with pin on floured surface to desired thickness (1/4 inch to 1/2 inch). You will need to use extra flour to keep dough from sticking. Cut into desired shapes. Bake at 375 degrees for about 10 to 12 minutes (depending on size or thickness of cookies). Don't let cookies turn brown at edges. Let cool completely before frosting. Frosting recipe to follow . . .

Buttercream Frosting for cookies

1/2 cup butter
                              1/4 cup milk
                              1/4 tsp. salt
                              1 tsp. vanilla
                              4 cups powdered sugar
                              food coloring as desired

Mix all ingredients together. Mix well until frosting is fluffy and forming peaks.
                              This is pretty close to Salsa's. Her comment when I said people were posting white cookie recipes was that if they don't have sour cream, they're not even worth trying.
                              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                                This is pretty close to Salsa's. Her comment when I said people were posting white cookie recipes was that if they don't have sour cream, they're not even worth trying.
                                Good woman. She's right, the sour cream is what makes the cookie stay soft and chewy for so long. This recipe above is one I have tweaked to my liking. But it isn't technically a "sugar cookie" because the frosting is just as important with these as the dough.
                                I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PAC

You know how President Hinckley said he doesn't worry about those who pray? The same can be said for men who are self-aware enough to know when there's a life to be lived outside of the world of video games. - Anonymous

Comment

Working...
                                X