Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legalizing Marijuana

http://abcnews.go.com/PollingUnit/Po...9586503&page=1

A new poll shows that 81% of Americans favor legalizing marijuana for medical reason, while a majority favor legalizing it for recreational use. These numbers are far higher than even ten years ago.

With the lessons of Prohibition lost on the Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan (especially Reagan), Bush, Clinton, Bush, and for now, Obama administrations, it would appear that the several States are pushing back against federal hegemony over controlled substances. If we examine when and why pot was made illegal, do we really see the need for it to remain illegal in this day?

The Bureau of Narcotics was formed in 1930, with Harry J Anslinger as chief. Because drugs were not a revenue source, and faced with the prospect of losing his job because of a lack of action, it is alleged that Anslinger, W.R. Hearst and the alcohol lobby in 1934, in an effort to 1) keep Anslinger's job, 2) keep hemp from replacing wood pulp in Hearst paper empire, and 3) ease marijuana's competition against booze banded together to make marijuana illegal.

Certainly, there are many other reasons. Mass hysteria (Reefer Madness, anyone) over a couple of murders that were blamed on pot, led to public calls for the banning of the drug.

There are several books on the subject I should read:

Legalizing Marijuana: Drug Policy Reform and Prohibition Politics by Rudolph Gerber.

Understanding Marijuana: A New Look at the Scientific Evidence

Mitch Earleywine

Economics and Marijuana: Consumption, Pricing and Legalisation

Kenneth W. Clements & Xueyan Zhao

For the record, if it's legal, I'm not going to try it.
    Illegal for everyone
    16.95%
    Completely legal for any adult to purchase OTC
    49.15%
    Completely legal with a valid Rx
    27.12%
    Completely legal along with all other drugs
    6.78%

The poll is expired.

"Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post

A new poll shows that 81% of Americans favor legalizing marijuana for medical reason, while a majority favor legalizing it for recreational use. These numbers are far higher than even ten years ago.

With the lessons of Prohibition lost on the Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan (especially Reagan), Bush, Clinton, Bush, and for now, Obama administrations, it would appear that the several States are pushing back against federal hegemony over controlled substances. If we examine when and why pot was made illegal, do we really see the need for it to remain illegal in this day?

The Bureau of Narcotics was formed in 1930, with Harry J Anslinger as chief. Because drugs were not a revenue source, and faced with the prospect of losing his job because of a lack of action, it is alleged that Anslinger, W.R. Hearst and the alcohol lobby in 1934, in an effort to 1) keep Anslinger's job, 2) keep hemp from replacing wood pulp in Hearst paper empire, and 3) ease marijuana's competition against booze banded together to make marijuana illegal.

Certainly, there are many other reasons. Mass hysteria (Reefer Madness, anyone) over a couple of murders that were blamed on pot, led to public calls for the banning of the drug.

Legalizing Marijuana: Drug Policy Reform and Prohibition Politics by Rudolph Gerber.

Mitch Earleywine

So the country will be better off legalizing marijuana? We can then add even more fetal alcohol syndrome kids to our society. I'm sure their lives will be better off. Anyone adocating more, rather than less use, is sick.

Comment

I've got mixed feelings on this. I had two roommates at the Y who started smoking just as I left. I went back a year later to visit them and I was amazed at the change. Still good guys but all they cared about was getting high. One was a former AP, taught at the MTC, EQ pres and the other was a former basketball player from Ricks. At one time both were highly motivated individuals. The basketball player has pulled out of it but for the other it has destroyed his life. On the other hand I would rather be around someone that gets high all the time then someone who drinks all the time. If one is legal then maybe the other one should be also.

Comment

Mitch Earleywine

Great idea. Let's legalize it and then fine the companies for making it. Great revenue source. When we're trying to rid tobacco use because of the health risk and costs, why would we want to legalize marijuana? Seems like it's just the pot heads wanting their behavior legalized..........
        Last edited by Hallelujah; 01-19-2010, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
          I've got mixed feelings on this. I had two roommates at the Y who started smoking just as I left. I went back a year later to visit them and I was amazed at the change. Still good guys but all they cared about was getting high. One was a former AP, taught at the MTC, EQ pres and the other was a former basketball player from Ricks. At one time both were highly motivated individuals. The basketball player has pulled out of it but for the other it has destroyed his life. On the other hand I would rather be around someone that gets high all the time then someone who drinks all the time. If one is legal then maybe the other one should be also.
          Because one is bad and legal, we should make the other legal as well. I miss the logic in that.

Comment

Originally posted by Hallelujah View Post
            Because one is bad and legal, we should make the other legal as well. I miss the logic in that.
            I don't understand how conservatives can insist that the government get out of our lives when it comes to dumping shit into the rivers and atmosphere, but think that the government should get totally involved when it comes to dumping shit into our cardiovascular system.

Comment

I'm just saying that it may be a better escape for some people than drinking.

mellow dude > angry drunk

They are going to find something to take or drink.

Comment

I'm all for it as a medicinal use. It will be taxed and regulated. If it helps ease the pain and bring comfort to those in need, in a natural way, why not?
                I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                  I'm all for it as a medicinal use. It will be taxed and regulated. If it helps ease the pain and bring comfort to those in need, in a natural way, why not?

AGreed.

Comment

Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                    I don't understand how conservatives can insist that the government get out of our lives when it comes to dumping shit into the rivers and atmosphere, but think that the government should get totally involved when it comes to dumping shit into our cardiovascular system.
                    Conservatives favor dumping into rivers?

Conservatives do oppose taking drugs which leads to crime to support their habits which involves burglary, murder, etc. Falls right in line with the liberal thinking that destroying an unborn life is OK as well.

You don't see the difference? That's what a I thought.

Comment

Conservatives do oppose taking drugs which leads to crime to support their habits which involves burglary, murder, etc. Falls right in line with the liberal thinking that destroying an unborn life is OK as well.

That you cannot see the parallels between illegal drugs and illegal alcohol shows the weakness of your thinking on the matter. If alcohol were illegal, we'd see similar gang problems, "addicts" stealing to pay for their booze, and so forth. Just like the vast majority of people do not abuse alcohol, the same goes for pot. The country has been fooled into believing that all or most pot users are pot abusers, or that if pot were legal and available, more people would abuse it, bringing about serious social ills; this is decidedly not the case.
                      "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

That you cannot see the parallels between illegal drugs and illegal alcohol shows the weakness of your thinking on the matter. If alcohol were illegal, we'd see similar gang problems, "addicts" stealing to pay for their booze, and so forth. Just like the vast majority of people do not abuse alcohol, the same goes for pot. The country has been fooled into believing that all or most pot users are pot abusers, or that if pot were legal and available, more people would abuse it, bringing about serious social ills; this is decidedly not the case.
                        So we legalize marijuana, the crime goes away? No more gangs?

On a side note, what physiological affects does marijuana have on the human body?

Comment

Yes, conservatives favor dumping into rivers. A certain amount of harmful substance may exist in any industry's otherwise harmless discharge. Conservatives tend to fight for higher limits to harmful discharge, and they fight to weaken the government's ability to verify compliance.

If you really want to tackle an industry that contributes to burglary, murder, and thousands of avoidable deaths, go after America's car culture, and fight for the implementation of public transportation and a high-speed national rail network. Once in place, illegalize cars. No more car jackings, no more grand theft auto, no more drunk driving, no more teenagers dying/killing people because of reckless driving.

At the end of the day, I doubt this is really about preventing drug-related crimes. Legalization may very well end the majority of drug-related crimes, the way ending prohibition did to crimes related to the sale of illegal alcohol.

Comment

It's my observation that many in the Mormon Church have been fooled into believing that all or most alcohol users are alcoholics.

Comment

Marajuana would become the largest cash crop in the state of CA and would be a serious blow to the Mexican mafia. I am for legalization.
                              Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Working...
                              X