Albuquerque Eats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Albuquerque Eats

Will be spending a few days in ABQ. We will be busy but I hope to be able to sneak out for a meal or two. What are the top spots in the city for food?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

El Modelo
    1715 Second Street SW

Comment

Whatever you do make sure it has green chiles.
      "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Will be spending a few days in ABQ. We will be busy but I hope to be able to sneak out for a meal or two. What are the top spots in the city for food?
        My favorite suggestions I got when I emailed a couple of friends down there were Route 66 Diner (green chile cheeseburgers & shakes), Frontier (breakfast), and Gardunos (though, I found a difference in quality between locations--I'd have to look to see which I liked). There was a mexican restaurant too with terrible salsa and excellent tacos: I'll have to look it up as well.

Comment

Where you will staying? I can give you the name of numerous great places to eat. When you get tired of New Mexican (if that is possible), I can recommend other good eats.
          If you want a great green chile cheeseburger, Route 66 Diner and the Monte Carlo are good bets. For general New Mexican fare, Gardunos is good but there are other places I like better, such as Sadie's, Los Cuates and El Pinto. The Range Cafe and Standard Diner have good food. The Rancher's Club and Marcello's are the best steak houses in town. Antiquities is a fine dining experience. My favorite Italian is Mimmo's and Capo's. La Provence is the best for French food. The Quarters by UNM has good barbecue, but the one on the west side is not as good. Don't ask me about Oriental restaurants; I rarely visit them.
          For a town its size, we have an overabundance of really good restaurants. Just ask, I'm not shy about giving my opinion about good food.
          Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
          Albert Einstein

Comment

Hey McClain, have you been to Standard Diner? It was featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, but I didn't like my meal. The four of us were split on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fiyero View Post
              Hey McClain, have you been to Standard Diner? It was featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, but I didn't like my meal. The four of us were split on it.
              Yes I have - a few times. It can be inconsistent. I have had some good meals there but sometimes I have been disappointed. It is owned by the same guys that own The Range Cafe and interestingly, I would say the same thing about The Range.
              Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
              Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by John McClain View Post
                Where you will staying? I can give you the name of numerous great places to eat. When you get tired of New Mexican (if that is possible), I can recommend other good eats.
                If you want a great green chile cheeseburger, Route 66 Diner and the Monte Carlo are good bets. For general New Mexican fare, Gardunos is good but there are other places I like better, such as Sadie's, Los Cuates and El Pinto. The Range Cafe and Standard Diner have good food. The Rancher's Club and Marcello's are the best steak houses in town. Antiquities is a fine dining experience. My favorite Italian is Mimmo's and Capo's. La Provence is the best for French food. The Quarters by UNM has good barbecue, but the one on the west side is not as good. Don't ask me about Oriental restaurants; I rarely visit them.
                For a town its size, we have an overabundance of really good restaurants. Just ask, I'm not shy about giving my opinion about good food.
                Los Cuates. That's the one I was trying to remember. I hoped you'd chime in here. Thanks, JM

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. We had a great trip. We were able to squeeze in a few meals. We tried Gardunos and loved it. I especially liked the blue corn enchiladas with green chile. We also tried the Range Cafe. 45-minute wait for lunch, but it was good. At the waiter's suggestion I went with the huevos rancheros and was not disappointed. We also did pizza at Dion's. Of course, we had the chicken and green chile pizza. My favorite was the pizza with artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, and lots and lots of pine nuts. Can't remember what it was called. Delish.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    Thanks for the suggestions. We had a great trip. We were able to squeeze in a few meals. We tried Gardunos and loved it. I especially liked the blue corn enchiladas with green chile. We also tried the Range Cafe. 45-minute wait for lunch, but it was good. At the waiter's suggestion I went with the huevos rancheros and was not disappointed. We also did pizza at Dion's. Of course, we had the chicken and green chile pizza. My favorite was the pizza with artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, and lots and lots of pine nuts. Can't remember what it was called. Delish.
                    That would be the Tuscan pizza - good stuff. Next time, order Italian sausage, pepperoni, olives and green chile on the pizza - my personal favorite. Sorry you had to wait so long at the Range Cafe; their food is good but there are other great places where the wait is not nearly as long. Also, you may have thought Gardunos was good, but my favorite homemade New Mexican food is found at the Barelas Coffee House. Any visitors to ABQ should ask me for directions for this little gem.
                    Albert Einstein

Comment

Also, you may have thought Gardunos was good, but my favorite homemade New Mexican food is found at the Barelas Coffee House. Any visitors to ABQ should ask me for directions for this little gem.
                      Or, just consult their friend Google: http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=Barelas+Coffee+House

Comment

That would be the Tuscan pizza - good stuff. Next time, order Italian sausage, pepperoni, olives and green chile on the pizza - my personal favorite.
                        We had that one too. It was all good.

Sorry you had to wait so long at the Range Cafe; their food is good but there are other great places where the wait is not nearly as long. Also, you may have thought Gardunos was good, but my favorite homemade New Mexican food is found at the Barelas Coffee House. Any visitors to ABQ should ask me for directions for this little gem.
                        We are hoping to catch the balloon festival this coming fall. I will resurrect this thread then and get directions.

Comment

Also, you may have thought Gardunos was good, but my favorite homemade New Mexican food is found at the Barelas Coffee House. Any visitors to ABQ should ask me for directions for this little gem.
                          I imagine it's a pretty well-kept secret?
                          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                            Ah, you can Google anything but once you know how to get there, do you know what the best items on the menu are? What dishes are hotter than others? How to get a free candy bar from the receptionist? Google ain't everything.
                            Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                              haha...what the hell was that? Hysterical.
                              So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Working...
                              X