Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    This is hilarious.

So what is the creekster-approved response when someone calls you a lazy clueless slacker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't know what creekster's approved response would be, but I'd settle for a post that explains his opinions rather than simply mocks the opinion of others. This site is interesting because people here are intelligent and take time to discuss, rather than just state, their opinion. With OG, we get neither - just a bunch of worthless one-line shots that make him look like a jerk at best, and an idiot at worst. Like I said, that may not be what he is in real life, but it is certainly the persona he seems to project here.

You've said in the past that I come across as condescending. As a result, I've usually made an effort to avoid coming across as such, but my response to him was purposefully condescending because I just didn't give a damn.
    sigpic
    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

You didn't answer my question.
      First, yes I did. Read it again, kemo. I said I don't approve or disapprove. Hence there is no such thing as a creekster approved response.

Second, even if I didn't, so what? I have no obligation to answer your questions, even if you stamp your feet and hold your breath, any more than OG has to be a pleasant person who makes reasoned posts.
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
        I'll give you that, but just how many people are we talking about? I can't imagine there are more than a relative handful of vocal people who supported him financially or joined his groups, who are now floundering because they followed Dehlin's apostate ways (as per Cowboy). I have to think this group is much smaller than the ones who 'supported' him by listening to him or just agreeing with him.
        This was the same thought I had. There are probably tens of thousands that are out of the church or mentally out that attribute John Dehlin, his podcasts, and the community he created around it, as the avenue that led them there, or at least was a significant stop along the way. But probably only a small percentage would take him as seriously as creekster would suggest.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
          My impression is that she has fought some difficult battles in her life. While her statement is, shall we say, surprising, I think it is bad form for us to comment on it here. Just MO.
          She was referring specifically to her experiences with JD as they managed OSF. I am going to go way out on a limb here and call that hyperbole.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• John Dehlin is thinking about bringing Mormon Stories back

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            She was referring specifically to her experiences with JD as they managed OSF. I am going to go way out on a limb here and call that hyperbole.
            Could be. I just do t think we should be discussing it like that.

Btw, Your post here is a creekster approved response.
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

.Hence there is no such thing as a creekster approved response.
              Now that's funny.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                This was the same thought I had. There are probably tens of thousands that are out of the church or mentally out that attribute John Dehlin, his podcasts, and the community he created around it, as the avenue that led them there, or at least was a significant stop along the way. But probably only a small percentage would take him as seriously as creekster would suggest.
                So if there are, say, 30,000, and only 5% are of the sort I am talking about, that's like a small stake. Moreover, there is no bright line, it is a sliding scale of dehlin influence. The point as I understand it, is that any influence from such a charlatan is unfortunate especially given that the people who are most susceptible to his influence are perhaps those who might most benefit from the church community.
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Could be. I just do t think we should be discussing it like that.
                  Ok.

Should cowboy hold off on judging/condemning Dehlin? Honestly I have no idea what he has experienced in life.

Comment

Ok.

Should cowboy hold off on judging/condemning Dehlin? Honestly I have no idea what he has experienced in life.
                    Sure you do! He podcasts it. The difference is that for someone to make the sorts of statements RB made here strikes me as very troubling. The sort of thing that one should not lampoon or ridicule without further understanding.

Whereas Dehlins issues, statements and approaches strike me as Elmer Gantry. That's all.
                    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

So if there are, say, 30,000, and only 5% are of the sort I am talking about, that's like a small stake. Moreover, there is no bright line, it is a sliding scale of dehlin influence. The point as I understand it, is that any influence from such a charlatan is unfortunate especially given that the people who are most susceptible to his influence are perhaps those who might most benefit from the church community.
                      hmm ok, but this started with.

NWC saying

Look, Dehlin has become an embarrassing caricature. And some of his ardent followers have become the same. But I would guess that the majority of disaffected who once paid attention to Dehlin are able to divorce the antics from the causes he brought to light. If any looked up to Dehlin as a prophet, then that is as big a mistake as they presumably think what believers do to the church leadership. The fault lies with them. More reasonable people can sift between the good and the embarrassing parts of Dehlin's career, and still pass judgment on the church.
                      and you saying:
                      I am not sure you're right about this, to be honest.
                      There's nothing that NWC was not right about there.

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                        I don't know what creekster's approved response would be, but I'd settle for a post that explains his opinions rather than simply mocks the opinion of others. This site is interesting because people here are intelligent and take time to discuss, rather than just state, their opinion. With OG, we get neither - just a bunch of worthless one-line shots that make him look like a jerk at best, and an idiot at worst. Like I said, that may not be what he is in real life, but it is certainly the persona he seems to project here.

You've said in the past that I come across as condescending. As a result, I've usually made an effort to avoid coming across as such, but my response to him was purposefully condescending because I just didn't give a damn.
                        I think you folks take old_gregg waaaaaay too seriously.

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                          I'll give you that, but just how many people are we talking about? I can't imagine there are more than a relative handful of vocal people who supported him financially or joined his groups, who are now floundering because they followed Dehlin's apostate ways (as per Cowboy). I have to think this group is much smaller than the ones who 'supported' him by listening to him or just agreeing with him.
                          I don't know how many people left because of Dehlin. It's not thousands, and likely not hundreds, but I believe it's more than a handful. The problem as I see it wasn't the information, but the way it was presented. I may be wrong, but it always felt like he was presenting it in a negative light under the auspices of neutrality, if that makes sense. I know a handful of people personally who began listening to MoStories and were out within a few years. Alternatively, I've introduced much of the same information Dehlin discussed to a number of people, explained why I still believed this was God's church regardless of the information, and it did not seem to raise any huge concerns. I understand my experiences are all anecdotal, but they are the only data points I have to base my opinion on. I could be wrong.
                          sigpic
                          "Outlined against a blue, gray
                          October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                          Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• Man, we are all sooooo bored.
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                              Man, we are all sooooo bored.
                              it's all this pent up sexual energy
                              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

I think you folks take old_gregg waaaaaay too seriously.
                                He's like a pimple on your butt. You usually just ignore it. But if someone asks and you do mention it, you admit it's a pain in the ass.
                                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Working...
                                X