• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Sure. This is what you said:

I believe in the following:

1) God directs the church
    2) God allows leaders to be human and make mistakes. Sometimes big mistakes.

Those two statements are compatible. Clearly "God directs the church" does NOT mean that leaders are robots or avatars for God and everything they do and every policy/doctrine they promote will be objectively viewed as correct by all future generations. It means that God inspires and motivates the church leaders and they do wonderful things and provide wonderful service and generally do the best they can but revelation is a messy and imperfect process and for reasons that are sometimes hard to understand, they sometimes screw up. And we should love them and forgive them just like we are commanded to love and forgive anyone else.
    1. I try to live my life to seek direction from God. Many times, if not daily, I feel that direction to some extent in my life, well beyond what I deserve.
    2. He also allows me to be human and make mistakes. Sometimes big mistakes.

It's the same for church leaders, but we have an element of culture in our church that for some reason makes us elevate them to an unfair standard beyond what God would intend, IMO.
    Last edited by BlueK; 09-17-2018, 11:37 AM.

Comment

• just seems like as it relates to something so important, if god is directing the church, they would get that right. seems a little different than me trying to decide if i want to take 7th east on the way home vs I-15.

to be clear, i am all in - but i think these are fair questions.
      I'm like LeBron James.
      -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
        just seems like as it relates to something so important, if god is directing the church, they would get that right. seems a little different than me trying to decide if i want to take 7th east on the way home vs I-15.

"OK guys, I am going to give you free will and agency and let you learn and grow through mistakes. Except on important stuff."
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
          I want one!

When I go to restaurants, I typically order by pictures. If I see something that looks good, I can't get it out of my head. It goes along with my lack of impulse control.
          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Yeah, I am embarrassed to admit that I want one.
          Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
          Is it an all-beef kosher dog?
          You guys, this looks terrible.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
            Mmm. Hot dogs and chicken. And I really hope that is cheese rather than mustard.

I would totally eat one right now. And it likely won't even raise my insulin level - Bonus!

Comment

Sure. This is what you said:

I believe in the following:

1) God directs the church
              2) God allows leaders to be human and make mistakes. Sometimes big mistakes.

Those two statements are compatible. Clearly "God directs the church" does NOT mean that leaders are robots or avatars for God and everything they do and every policy/doctrine they promote will be objectively viewed as correct by all future generations. It means that God inspires and motivates the church leaders and they do wonderful things and provide wonderful service and generally do the best they can but revelation is a messy and imperfect process and for reasons that are sometimes hard to understand, they sometimes screw up. And we should love them and forgive them just like we are commanded to love and forgive anyone else.
              You describe exactly how I feel. I don't know why we believe that suddenly God takes away our opportunity to learn through experience when we are called to lead. In fairness, it took me 40 years to understand this, so just because it seems obvious to me now doesn't mean I don't understand why people struggle with the concept.

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              "OK guys, I am going to give you free will and agency and let you learn and grow through mistakes. Except on important stuff."
              Again, the disconnect of this seems obvious to me now, but it took me a while. We tend to think in terms of our timeline perspective, when most likely God expects it to take generations to finally get his leaders to overcome their culturally-ingrained paradigms and move the proper direction on some issues. I believe that what should matter to us is trying to understand his will for ourselves and those for whom we are responsible as we pray, study, and/or listen to our leaders.

You are a good dude, JL, and I wish you could be my daughter's ecclesiastical leader while she is there.
              sigpic
              "Outlined against a blue, gray
              October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
              Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

just seems like as it relates to something so important, if god is directing the church, they would get that right. seems a little different than me trying to decide if i want to take 7th east on the way home vs I-15.

But more importantly, are you taking the freeway or 7th East?
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                  You describe exactly how I feel. I don't know why we believe that suddenly God takes away our opportunity to learn through experience when we are called to lead. In fairness, it took me 40 years to understand this, so just because it seems obvious to me now doesn't mean I don't understand why people struggle with the concept.

Again, the disconnect of this seems obvious to me now, but it took me a while. We tend to think in terms of our timeline perspective, when most likely God expects it to take generations to finally get his leaders to overcome their culturally-ingrained paradigms and move the proper direction on some issues. I believe that what should matter to us is trying to understand his will for ourselves and those for whom we are responsible as we pray, study, and/or listen to our leaders.

You are a good dude, JL, and I wish you could be my daughter's ecclesiastical leader while she is there.
                  That is very kind of you. Thanks.

Now what do you think of that chicken hot dog thing? Yes or no?
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

"okay guys, on the important stuff, the church is yours to direct. i'm going to go ahead and take a hands off approach. just don't tell the people!"
                    I'm like LeBron James.
                    -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                      But more importantly, are you taking the freeway or 7th East?
                      freeway. i hate stop lights.
                      I'm like LeBron James.
                      -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                        guys you just don’t get it. this is a letter signed by the first presidency explicitly in their capacity as such, but they were speaking as men! not as divinely called and set apart mouthpieces of god. duh!
                        I'm starting to think that you might be joining the Apostate ranks at some point. I urge you not to. I'd prefer you to be on the other side. Please doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith.
                        As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

So did God tell them to not have the ban and they continued having it? Or did god just let them figure t out on their own without telling them? Or maybe God gave them scriptures that tell them not to have the ban (Peters dream), and instead they interpreted those scriptures to mean they should have the ban (curse of Cain, book of Abraham, white and delight some, etc.) because prophets aren’t very good at interpreting scriptures.

I’m with SMR on this one in that this is a huge doctrinal issue that I’d expect a God with a living mouthpiece on the earth to correct sooner than later...but maybe it happened sooner when looking at gods timeline. But it does allow me to mentally ignore a lot of the dumb stuff taught at church and in general conference since we all know at some point that dumb stuff will be not considered inspired or doctrine anyway.

Of course, I’m also a Mormon deist that thinks god started it all in motion and allows us to figure it out.
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                            So did God tell them to not have the ban and they continued having it? Or did god just let them figure t out on their own without telling them? Or maybe God gave them scriptures that tell them not to have the ban (Peters dream), and instead they interpreted those scriptures to mean they should have the ban (curse of Cain, book of Abraham, white and delight some, etc.) because prophets aren’t very good at interpreting scriptures.

I’m with SMR on this one in that this is a huge doctrinal issue that I’d expect a God with a living mouthpiece on the earth to correct sooner than later...but maybe it happened sooner when looking at gods timeline. But it does allow me to mentally ignore a lot of the dumb stuff taught at church and in general conference since we all know at some point that dumb stuff will be not considered inspired or doctrine anyway.

Of course, I’m also a Mormon deist that thinks god started it all in motion and allows us to figure it out.
                            I am not sure you are really a deist, given your first two paragraphs. I think the punctuated equilibrium overlay on a type of deism really fits what we see very well.
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

How important is it? I mean, where does it rank? And how do you rank it among other issues?

I don't mean to imply that racism isn't a bad thing or that it should be ignored. That's not what I'm saying at all.

But I do think that we have a pretty limited understanding of what is important and exactly HOW important it is. And I'd even agree with the concept that sometimes leaders have those moments of clarity where they receive some "light and knowledge" - and suddenly that piece of light and knowledge becomes one of the most important concepts of the day. So it gets all of the attention and all of the teaching based on the understanding and within the context that that particular leader understands it. But I'd bet that even within those instances, there isn't necessarily a perfect understanding of all of the ramifications of that specific piece of light and knowledge they've just received.

I just think it's impossible for us to weigh the importance of something as far as it's importance to God based on our own level of understanding. And we might be able to get a sense that something is pretty important to Him - but even then, I don't think we have context.

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                                What?!?!?

Would you prefer a bratwurst?
                                Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Working...
                                X