John Dehlin is thinking about bringing Mormon Stories back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johndehlin View Post
    Small potatoes? No way! CougarUteForum is 'da bomb!

Hey fellas! Thanks for all the kind words of support. Please drop me a line if I can ever help w/ anything. And please keep the feedback coming!!!

John Dehlin
    John, just FYI that we have really good and open Mormon religious discussions here on CougarUteForum (we're not all about sports). I know you're a busy man, but you'd be MVP of The Foyer category here if you started participating.

Comment

Sweet! I just listened to the current edition, and John says that Mormon atheists are cool. Suck on that mullahs!

Comment

Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
        Sweet! I just listened to the current edition, and John says that Mormon atheists are cool. Suck on that mullahs!
        Do you consider yourself a Mormon athiest?
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
          Do you consider yourself a Mormon athiest?
          I do. I've said it before, here on CUF, that I was sick of the mullahs defining me out of the church, just because I didn't feel comfortable maintaining formal membership. Mormonism is a culture that runs way deeper than the LDS church. It is my heritage.

Comment

I do. I've said it before, here on CUF, that I was sick of the mullahs defining me out of the church, just because I didn't feel comfortable maintaining formal membership. Mormonism is a culture that runs way deeper than the LDS church. It is my heritage.
            So, to clarify, your definition of a Mormon athiest is broader than the more common use on this board (which I have gathered to mean someone who doesn't believe in God but has remained an active member of the Church in spite of that)?

Out of curiosity, what is Dehlin's definition?
            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

So, to clarify, your definition of a Mormon athiest is broader than the more common use on this board (which I have gathered to mean someone who doesn't believe in God but has remained an active member of the Church in spite of that)?

so he is a less active Mormon atheist...
              Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

To clarify, I don't think there is any common use of the term 'Mormon atheist,' and if I had heard anyone else use that term I would self-identify as such.

I don't think Dehlin is interested in broad definitions as much as he is interested in self-definition.

Comment

He talks about it in his most recent podcast, but basically it is the Jewish model. There are all kinds and all sorts of level of belief and practice, but they are all Jewish because it is a heritage and culture. I think he is saying that the whole spectrum should recognize the others as being part of "Mormonism" writ large.

One very salient point he made is that if "Mormon" only includes active then right off the bat you have eliminated 2/3rds of who is on the rolls. I think he would define it very, very broadly. The idea here is to promote a recognition of what he have in common and not focus on "otherness" or try to shun or ostracize those who are something other than traditional TBMs.

Comment

I agree with you Robin. In fact, that is one of the main reasons I've stuck with the church. I have received a great heritage (warts and all) from Mormonism and for that I'll be eternally grateful. So go ahead and call yourself a Mormon Atheist, do it with pride.
                    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                    Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

To clarify, I don't think there is any common use of the term 'Mormon atheist,' and if I had heard anyone else use that term I would self-identify as such.

I don't think Dehlin is interested in broad definitions as much as he is interested in self-definition.
                      I knew I'd read the term (a dyslexic iteration, anyway) before on CUF!

Comment

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                        He talks about it in his most recent podcast, but basically it is the Jewish model. There are all kinds and all sorts of level of belief and practice, but they are all Jewish because it is a heritage and culture. I think he is saying that the whole spectrum should recognize the others as being part of "Mormonism" writ large.

One very salient point he made is that if "Mormon" only includes active then right off the bat you have eliminated 2/3rds of who is on the rolls. I think he would define it very, very broadly. The idea here is to promote a recognition of what he have in common and not focus on "otherness" or try to shun or ostracize those who are something other than traditional TBMs.
                        Interesting. FTR, I am in no way suggesting a specific definition of the term, as most non-scientific definitions or classifications tend to be either too broad or too specific. I merely inquiring as to Robin's view of his Mormonism and atheism.

I don't disagree with Dehlin's premise, either. In fact, I wish more of those who officially leave the church were able to leave in practice without feeling a need to completely disown the heritage (something that is probably as much to blame on the "you're either with us or against us" mentality many members adopt as it is on those who leave).

Comment

On a side note, the term of use in the Church for non-actives is "Jack" Mormon. I am not sure where that comes from, perhaps some one knows. Also, why do Catholics refer to non-actives as "lapsed" Catholics, but we never used the term "lapsed"?
                          Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
                          Albert Einstein

Comment

I like this. I have many friends who are not active and lead lifestyles in conflict with the teachings of the Church, but they still consider themselves Mormon.

Robin I still think of you as Mormon. Accordingly, I also think of SU as Mormon. Though that is mostly because I like to think that makes SU wince.
                            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                            -Turtle
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by John McClain View Post
                              On a side note, the term of use in the Church for non-actives is "Jack" Mormon. I am not sure where that comes from, perhaps some one knows. Also, why do Catholics refer to non-actives as "lapsed" Catholics, but we never used the term "lapsed"?
                              I always understood the term "Jack Mormon" to mean someone who, despite being a member, engaged in activities which were explicitly contrary to the teachings of the church. Whether they were active or not wasn't the defining characteristic, but rather the hypocrisy was (which hypocrisy is either heightened or lessened by one's professed/demonstrated level of activity in the Church).
                              Last edited by Donuthole; 02-04-2010, 06:02 PM.

Comment

The Hamer interview is fascinating. Just fascinating. My understanding of the RLDS just increased 100 fold. It is also very interesting because they are a lot of things that many members want the church to progress to. So you can sort of look at how that has worked and hasn't worked.

Looks like he is interviewing Peter Danzig tonight.

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthr...zig#post188563

http://www.rickross.com/reference/mormon/mormon489.html

That should be interesting.
                                I'm about 50 minutes into part 1 and I have a question. If Emma and Joseph's kids were so opposed to polygamy, why would they want to continue to participate in or lead a religion that had endorsed it? If they hated polygamy, why would they want to carry on Joseph's legacy/religion/faith/whatever if he was the leader of the polygamist idea?
                                Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

Working...
                                X