Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Dehlin is thinking about bringing Mormon Stories back

I would love to see this:
    I’m thinking about bringing back Mormon Stories….but I’ll need some help.
    2010 January 11
    by John Dehlin

I am currently considering bringing back Mormon Stories, targeting a few areas I feel really strongly about:
    1. Providing stories that will help people through the social, familial and spiritual effects of an LDS-related faith crisis (without any “nudge” or preference as to whether or not they stay in or leave the church). The overarching goals here would be to:
      • Create deeper empathy/understanding within our culture for those in a faith crisis, and
      • Provide healthy “role models” (tips and tricks) from people who have successfully worked through this crisis — from across the spectrum of belief/non-belief (ex-Mormons, post-Mormons, New Order Mormons, StayLDS, Apologists, etc.). The idea isn’t to point people in a specific direction, but instead to provide stories that will help people find the path that works best for them.
    2. Provide stories to help couples wherein one or both are experiencing a crisis of faith — in a way that might help them to avoid unproductive pain and/or divorce, and
    3. A deep dive/exploration into mental illness within Mormonism.

….but I will need some help to make it happen.

If any of you are interested in supporting such a podcast, please contact me at: mormonstories@gmail.com.

Thanks!

John Dehlin
    http://mormonstories.org/?p=702

He has now done it and has several very interesting new podcasts up. I just listened to the interview with Joanna Brooks on a road trip today. Anyone who was at BYU in or around 1993 will be fascinated by this one.

I can't even express how excited I am he is doing these again. Thanks John!!!

www.mormonstories.org

Comment

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
      He has now done it and has several very interesting new podcasts up. I just listened to the interview with Joanna Brooks on a road trip today. Anyone who was at BYU in or around 1993 will be fascinated by this one.

www.mormonstories.org
      He posted a couple of times on CG:

http://cougarguard.com/forum/member.php?u=463

Comment

And an interview w/ John Hamer.
        Very excited that he's back.
        I intend to live forever.
        So far, so good.
        --Steven Wright

Comment

The Hamer interview is fascinating. Just fascinating. My understanding of the RLDS just increased 100 fold. It is also very interesting because they are a lot of things that many members want the church to progress to. So you can sort of look at how that has worked and hasn't worked.

Looks like he is interviewing Peter Danzig tonight.

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthr...zig#post188563

http://www.rickross.com/reference/mormon/mormon489.html

That should be interesting.

Comment

www.mormonstories.org
            I listened to the Joanna Brooks interview, Part 1, the other day while I was working on some stuff.

I wasn't really cognizant of the goings on around BYU at the time, but still interesting almost these 20 years later how things have changed or not changed, both for good and bad.

Comment

Originally posted by I.J. Reilly View Post
              I listened to the Joanna Brooks interview, Part 1, the other day while I was working on some stuff.

I wasn't really cognizant of the goings on around BYU at the time, but still interesting almost these 20 years later how things have changed or not changed, both for good and bad.
              Made me realize there as a lot of interesting stuff going on there that I was oblivious to while there, though a lot of what she speaks of sort of came to a head and ended as I arrived (1993),

Comment

John gave a shout out to the Foyer at the end of the "Mormon Stories past, present and future" episode.

I agree with UD, the John Hammer podcast was a fascinating look at the RLDS/Comunity of Christ church and clears up some common misconceptions about that branch of mormonism.

Comment

Lol. I'm pretty sure he is referring to this:

http://www.thefoyer.org/

Still, after listen to the most recent podcast I am going to be opening my wallet later today to help him keep this thing going. There is nothing else like it.

Comment

Lol. I'm pretty sure he is referring to this:

http://www.thefoyer.org/

Still, after listen to the most recent podcast I am going to be opening my wallet later today to help him keep this thing going. There is nothing else like it.
                    Yeah probably right. Didn't he post a couple of times on CG? For that reason I though maybe CUF was getting famous!

Comment

Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                      Yeah probably right. Didn't he post a couple of times on CG? For that reason I though maybe CUF was getting famous!
                      Yes he did, though I am not sure he ever made his way here. We are small potatoes. He is a facebook friend though (me and a zillion other people) but from the way he talks he reads all the notes and emails he gets. Maybe I will invite him to drop by.

Comment

Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                        John gave a shout out to the Foyer at the end of the "Mormon Stories past, present and future" episode.

I agree with UD, the John Hammer podcast was a fascinating look at the RLDS/Comunity of Christ church and clears up some common misconceptions about that branch of mormonism.
                        What did he say?
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          What did he say?
                          As UD pointed out it wasn't toward our Foyer. He was just asking listeners to link to his podcasts.

Comment

Yes he did, though I am not sure he ever made his way here. We are small potatoes. He is a facebook friend though (me and a zillion other people) but from the way he talks he reads all the notes and emails he gets. Maybe I will invite him to drop by.
                            Small potatoes? No way! CougarUteForum is 'da bomb!

Hey fellas! Thanks for all the kind words of support. Please drop me a line if I can ever help w/ anything. And please keep the feedback coming!!!

John Dehlin

Comment

Originally posted by johndehlin View Post
                              Small potatoes? No way! CougarUteForum is 'da bomb!

Hey fellas! Thanks for all the kind words of support. Please drop me a line if I can ever help w/ anything. And please keep the feedback coming!!!

John Dehlin
                              Wow, I'm not usually this effective. Welcome John!

Comment

Working...
                              X