John Dehlin is thinking about bringing Mormon Stories back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
    I think it would be a good idea to have Utah be a two party recording state. I stand with the LDS church (on two party recording).
    What is the argument on this? I see people freaking out over the fact that it could stop battered wives from recording abuse, but then I saw language that said there was exceptions in cases like that.

Comment

• When I did child abuse investigations, there were times that I recorded things without necessarily telling people I was recording.

Once I had an "alleged" perpetrator call me on the phone not long after I'd interviewed the victim. I was able to speak with him through the handset while having the conversation go onto the speaker of the phone and set my little hand recorder to record the conversation. He ended up confessing to the sexual abuse the child had reported, and I was able to use the recording in court - as well as pass it along for the police and county attorney to use in his prosecution. And that's only one time that I hit the record button during a conversation without stopping it to tell the other person I was going to record it.

I can see why there are instances that you'd want the person being recorded to have knowledge that they are being recorded. But I'm glad I didn't have to worry about this guy clamming up because I had to stop the conversation and tell him I was going to record him.

Are there exceptions to this? Like can the police not secretly record conversations with people without either a warrant or notifying the other person being recorded?

Comment

• I have nothing substantive to add to this conversation, but I just want to say that I hope nobody ever posts another picture in this thread so we always have this American Gothic image of Mr and Mrs Dehlin popping up on Tapatalk.
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• These people are real assholes. The biggest objection is that they won't be able to legally record interviews with Mormon ecclesiastical leaders? Seriously?
          Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Maybe we can the thread did as I don’t see anything of value that Dehlin adds.
            "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
              These people are real assholes. The biggest objection is that they won't be able to legally record interviews with Mormon ecclesiastical leaders? Seriously?
              I agree, but then on the flip side it appears that the Church is equally invested in the issue for the opposite reason. I'm hoping there's more to the story.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                I agree, but then on the flip side it appears that the Church is equally invested in the issue for the opposite reason. I'm hoping there's more to the story.
                I don't see why it is such a big thing for local Church leaders to be notified if their confidential conversations are going to be recorded. Am I missing something?

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

I don't see why it is such a big thing for local Church leaders to be notified if their confidential conversations are going to be recorded. Am I missing something?
                  Totally agree. And I haven't seen any of these recordings that I didn't think was totally douchey. But. A law like this seems to have far reaching effects that go way beyond what seems like a very narrow scope of protecting a bishop's interview from being recorded. So it seems small minded of both the Church and for Church opponents to be invested in this law. But I could be misunderstanding something here. And I'm don't know if it's factual that the Church really is pushing this or if it's yet another publicity gimmick on the Exmo side of things.

Comment

• This whole story has been rather lean on facts.
                    We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                      Totally agree. And I haven't seen any of these recordings that I didn't think was totally douchey. But. A law like this seems to have far reaching effects that go way beyond what seems like a very narrow scope of protecting a bishop's interview from being recorded. So it seems small minded of both the Church and for Church opponents to be invested in this law. But I could be misunderstanding something here. And I'm don't know if it's factual that the Church really is pushing this or if it's yet another publicity gimmick on the Exmo side of things.
                      Nothing happens in Utah without The Church pushing it!

Comment

• I am with Jay on this one. John Dehlin is a horrible human being, but I don't like this legislation. If you don't like being recorded, don't say anything you aren't willing to own.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          I am with Jay on this one. John Dehlin is a horrible human being, but I don't like this legislation. If you don't like being recorded, don't say anything you aren't willing to own.
                          So, that's a principle you're willing live with?

Comment

• California is a two party consent state. I don’t think the church had much to do with that, either. It doesn’t seem to be a problem here.
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Nevada is an all party consent state, with an exception for law enforcement in certain exigent circumstances.

New York is a one party consent state. Apparently there about 12 states requiring all parties consent to taping and 38 that only require the consent of one party, unless Utah converts to the all party consent side. The all party consent states, at last count, unless changes have been made recently, are:California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, and Washington. My review made the distinction that people inaccurately refer to it as "two-party" consent when all parties to a taped conversation must consent.
                              Last edited by Topper; 02-07-2018, 08:04 AM.
                              "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

So, that's a principle you're willing live with?
                                Yes. That is the principle everyone has been living with in the state of Utah up to this point in time.

There are times when recording someone is in incredibly poor taste and inconsiderate, but it shouldn't be a felony.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X