Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you, Cardiac.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• That's funny. Most of the still photos he posts of himself on his podcasts, he looks terrible and unhealthy. Maybe he feels good on the inside.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
      "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Dude, I could've saved you 60 minutes!
        Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        Only John Dehlin could take 60 minutes to say so little.
        Ha, it was only 20 minutes, but that was just part one. I couldn't find part two (or three or four or five or . . . . ).

Sometimes I enjoy some exmo whine, and he is one of the whiniest.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
          Since I know most here are way too smart to listen to this nonsense I will summarize a few key points:

Dr. Dehlin gave up a promising career at Microsoft right at its peak because of how much he wanted to help LDS people understand Church history, especially things that were almost totally unknown to rank and file Mormons like that Joseph Smith was a polygamist.

Excommunication is really bad for Mormons because it means Outer Darkness and also often losing your job, losing your spouse and kids, losing all friends.

After John and his wife left the church all the young men in Logan assumed they could now freely have sex with their daughters.

John acts the way he does because the Church taught him that truth is the most important thing and helping family and friends is the most important thing -- many important people in his life are still being deceived, still suffering being part of the LDS Church. He has never been healthier and happier.
          I was just passing through Logan. God bless John Dehlin's daughters.

Comment

• Delhin is some kind of therapist/psychologist, no? I wonder if he's examined himself lately. My guess is that he's a textbook example of someone with a messiah complex.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
              Delhin is some kind of therapist/psychologist, no? I wonder if he's examined himself lately. My guess is that he's a textbook example of someone with a messiah complex.
              I don't know that he qualified for a psychological evaluation, but maybe he can provide himself some coaching sessions.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                Delhin is some kind of therapist/psychologist, no? I wonder if he's examined himself lately. My guess is that he's a textbook example of someone with a messiah complex.
                Actually - from what I remember, he's the worst kind of therapist/psychologist. He's got some degree, but hasn't done the training, testing, etc. to actually get licensed as such. He's like a dude who took an anatomy class and wants to perform surgery now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                  I don't know that he qualified for a psychological evaluation, but maybe he can provide himself some coaching sessions.
                  I doubt he can afford the $200/hour rate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                    Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                    I doubt he can afford the $200/hour rate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    I think he isn't fully licensed. Dehlin was actually done some good work surrounding the use of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy. He's got a phd from USU. I don't doubt he is skilled but what makes him someone id never refer a client to is his narcissism and his agenda. I think the guy's ego and public persona make him capable of allowing clients to make their own autonomous decisions about their religious orientation or how the identify sexually. I.e., a good therapist needs to be able to avoid pushing a client to come out of the closet or quit being a practicing, orthodox member of any religion. So it's not education or training, it's ego and agenda that are his problems. BFM is exactly right, imho.
                    Last edited by frank ryan; 07-08-2017, 11:28 AM.

Comment

• Friends of JD on FB were treated yesterday to a barrage of quotes from attendees at some gathering in Texas. The quotes included many observations about the Church that did not reflect well on the writer or JD (and I'm totally fine with intelligent criticism). So I finally pulled the trigger and unfriended him. His obsession with the Church became uninteresting to me a while ago and now borders on the pathological.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                        Friends of JD on FB were treated yesterday to a barrage of quotes from attendees at some gathering in Texas. The quotes included many observations about the Church that did not reflect well on the writer or JD (and I'm totally fine with intelligent criticism). So I finally pulled the trigger and unfriended him. His obsession with the Church became uninteresting to me a while ago and now borders on the pathological.
                        Ummmmm, listen to that podcast. JD is sooooo over The Mormon Church.
                        Last edited by myboynoah; 07-08-2017, 12:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                          I think he isn't fully licensed. Dehlin was actually done some good work surrounding the use of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy. He's got a phd from USU. I don't doubt he is skilled but what makes him someone id never refer a client to is his narcissism and his agenda. I think the guy's ego and public persona make him capable of allowing clients to make their own autonomous decisions about their religious orientation or how the identify sexually. I.e., a good therapist needs to be able to avoid pushing a client to come out of the closet or quit being a practicing, orthodox member of any religion. So it's not education or training, it's ego and agenda that are his problems. BFM is exactly right, imho.
                          It strikes me as atypical for a therapist or psychiatrist to encourage people to discuss their personal issues and concerns on public podcasts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Armenag View Post
                            It strikes me as atypical for a therapist or psychiatrist to encourage people to discuss their personal issues and concerns on public podcasts.
                            To be fair, this isn't what JD was doing was it?

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                              To be fair, this isn't what JD was doing was it?
                              I've honestly only listened to pieces. Aren't primary themes personal faith and sexuality, etc.? At least most of them seem to be adults. It just seems somewhat contradictory to me to work in a profession that values confidentiality so highly while also publicly probing people's innermost concerns. I understand they all agree to it, but it still strikes me as a bit troubling. Does he recruit people or do they all approach him first?

Comment

• Originally posted by Armenag View Post
                                I've honestly only listened to pieces. Aren't primary themes personal faith and sexuality, etc.? At least most of them seem to be adults. It just seems somewhat contradictory to me to work in a profession that values confidentiality so highly while also publicly probing people's innermost concerns. I understand they all agree to it, but it still strikes me as a bit troubling. Does he recruit people or do they all approach him first?
                                Just scrolled through some more of the podcasts. The idea of making a series of people dishing on meetings with general authorities seems troubling. Encouraging people in divulging presumably confidential conversations with religious leaders makes me uncomfortable, regardless of the faith of priest and penitent.

Comment

Working...
                                X