Lingo is gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
    He's saying that we're like the milk-loving detective from Inglourious Bastards. The Jewhunter.
    For every Jewhunter there is a Bear Jew.
    I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
      "Yes, and when you consider the other choices, 'manure' is actually pretty refreshing."
      Thank you for recognizing Solon's fine contribution. You guys make me laugh.
      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
        Do you think he deserved it? I never thought that Lingo would actually ever be banned. I don't think I could have pulled the trigger.
        I don't know -- can't say. Obviously the committee felt he crossed a line and I don't begrudge them their right to act as they see fit. I'm just making observations.

Comment

Originally posted by tooblue View Post
          I don't know -- can't say. Obviously the committee felt he crossed a line and I don't begrudge them their right to act as they see fit. I'm just making observations.
          Just a quick word here. I didn't mind Lingo. I didn't look forward to his posts or anything, but I didn't mind him. He was certainly more right-leaning in politics and religion than many on this board, and many disliked him because he was less than tactful in his approach.

However, I think his unpopularity had nothing to do with his ban. I have never seen anyone say the things he said today without being disciplined. That he was a repeat offender forced the EC to make the suspension permanent. The mods have a tough job, and I appreciate the work they do to make this site enjoyable.
          sigpic
          "Outlined against a blue, gray
          October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
          Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

FWIW, I feel much the same way as Cowboy. I actually liked Johnny, but think he crossed the line with his recent actions. I wouldn't mind sitting next to JL at a ballgame sometime in the future and get to know him better.

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
              FWIW, I feel much the same way as Cowboy. I actually liked Johnny, but think he crossed the line with his recent actions. I wouldn't mind sitting next to JL at a ballgame sometime in the future and get to know him better.
              He is like a good lookin gal who refuses to shave her mustache.

Comment

Did his offence get deleted? I'm curious what it was. Then again, if it was in a political thread I probably don't care to know.

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                  I just puked in my mouth just a little
                  "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Yeah, what is up with that?
                    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                      Just a quick word here. I didn't mind Lingo. I didn't look forward to his posts or anything, but I didn't mind him. He was certainly more right-leaning in politics and religion than many on this board, and many disliked him because he was less than tactful in his approach.

However, I think his unpopularity had nothing to do with his ban. I have never seen anyone say the things he said today without being disciplined. That he was a repeat offender forced the EC to make the suspension permanent. The mods have a tough job, and I appreciate the work they do to make this site enjoyable.
                      I agree, in that I didn't mind Lingo's presence, even though I found his tactics and personality to be extremely annoying. I was always glad that there was a place for him here, and it makes me sad that he couldn't hold back from abusing other folks on the board. I'm also a little sad that his final outburst happened in a thread where we were sparring. I sort of feel as if we were fooling around in our cars, swerving toward each other a bit like stupid teenagers, then came along wuap (not pointing fingers here, just saying what happened), and poor Lingo saw red, tried to run wuap off the road, and that was all she wrote. If you read this Lingo, I'm sorry if I primed the pump there!

Policy-wise, I can understand the move. Though the decision of the executive counsel is perfectly understandable, I would like to make one suggestion, and then I will withdraw from the discussion. People can change a lot in a year. People can grow up a lot, figure things out, settle down, and mature. I know that this place meant something to Lingo, in spite of what he claimed. I suggest he get a 12 month suspension. In fact, I think that should be the standard, and that no person should ever get a permanent ban. Twelve months is a long time to think about things and gain some perspective. If he comes back, unrepentant, he can have another 12 months. If he comes back in two years, unrepentant, he can have another 12 months. Eventually we will either set our clocks by his annual blow-outs (oddly entertaining), or one day he will show up with a bit of humility, maybe a wife and some kids, and maybe an interesting perspective. He WILL eventually be a different person, just like we all transform, and I would like to think that the potential of suffering an annual blowout, from anyone (Rocky included), is worth it in order for this to be a community that embraces the teachings of Jesus Christ, and offers everyone the chance to become a better self, and that we are collectively willing to forgive, not once, not seven times, but seven times seven times (49 years of Lingo blowouts, eventually brought to us in high def, later in 3D Plasma, and eventually in our own little holodecks).

Anyhow, if I were a member of the executive committee, this is the direction I would encourage things to go. I understand there is a sense of frustration, especially with anyone who persistently attacks others, and thereby compels the executive committee to be tirelessly vigilant. I think that year-long breaks for petulant abusers would be a fine tradition that honors the best tenets of Christian belief. We should recognize the potential for repentance and personal transformation. If Christ could make the lame man walk, then Christ might cure Lingo's lameness too. I think it is sort of an act of faith in Christ to offer people the chance to come back after a year. My two cents.

Cheers!

rf

Comment

This has me laughing, and not just for the great line itself, but also because I wonder if '71 may be dealing with this issue currently. I imagine him staring into the deep blue eyes of his female companion, then pulling away for a full face view, and then ... "Oh crap!" Hormone therapy might help. Or the Schick Quattro is nice.

Comment

This has me laughing, and not just for the great line itself, but also because I wonder if '71 may be dealing with this issue currently. I imagine him staring into the deep blue eyes eye of his female companion, then pulling away for a full face view, and then ... "Oh crap!" Hormone therapy might help. Or the Schick Quattro is nice.
                          Corrected.
                          Last edited by RobinFinderson; 01-12-2010, 09:33 PM.

Comment

This has me laughing, and not just for the great line itself, but also because I wonder if '71 may be dealing with this issue currently. I imagine him staring into the deep blue eyes of his female companion, then pulling away for a full face view, and then ... "Oh crap!" Hormone therapy might help. Or the Schick Quattro is nice.
                            I am reminded of the guy criticizing the looks of some gal and why he wouldn't date her, only to be reminded he wasn't Tom Cruise.

I am at the point where if I had a good looking girl with a mustache walking hand in hand with me down the street, murmurs of "what does she see in him" would be heard.

Comment

Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                              I agree, in that I didn't mind Lingo's presence, even though I found his tactics and personality to be extremely annoying. I was always glad that there was a place for him here, and it makes me sad that he couldn't hold back from abusing other folks on the board. I'm also a little sad that his final outburst happened in a thread where we were sparring. I sort of feel as if we were fooling around in our cars, swerving toward each other a bit like stupid teenagers, then came along wuap (not pointing fingers here, just saying what happened), and poor Lingo saw red, tried to run wuap off the road, and that was all she wrote. If you read this Lingo, I'm sorry if I primed the pump there!

Policy-wise, I can understand the move. Though the decision of the executive counsel is perfectly understandable, I would like to make one suggestion, and then I will withdraw from the discussion. People can change a lot in a year. People can grow up a lot, figure things out, settle down, and mature. I know that this place meant something to Lingo, in spite of what he claimed. I suggest he get a 12 month suspension. In fact, I think that should be the standard, and that no person should ever get a permanent ban. Twelve months is a long time to think about things and gain some perspective. If he comes back, unrepentant, he can have another 12 months. If he comes back in two years, unrepentant, he can have another 12 months. Eventually we will either set our clocks by his annual blow-outs (oddly entertaining), or one day he will show up with a bit of humility, maybe a wife and some kids, and maybe an interesting perspective. He WILL eventually be a different person, just like we all transform, and I would like to think that the potential of suffering an annual blowout, from anyone (Rocky included), is worth it in order for this to be a community that embraces the teachings of Jesus Christ, and offers everyone the chance to become a better self, and that we are collectively willing to forgive, not once, not seven times, but seven times seven times (49 years of Lingo blowouts, eventually brought to us in high def, later in 3D Plasma, and eventually in our own little holodecks).

Anyhow, if I were a member of the executive committee, this is the direction I would encourage things to go. I understand there is a sense of frustration, especially with anyone who persistently attacks others, and thereby compels the executive committee to be tirelessly vigilant. I think that year-long breaks for petulant abusers would be a fine tradition that honors the best tenets of Christian belief. We should recognize the potential for repentance and personal transformation. If Christ could make the lame man walk, then Christ might cure Lingo's lameness too. I think it is sort of an act of faith in Christ to offer people the chance to come back after a year. My two cents.

Cheers!

rf
                              Well said, bat boy.
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I am reminded of the guy criticizing the looks of some gal and why he wouldn't date her, only to be reminded he wasn't Tom Cruise.

I am at the point where if I had a good looking girl with a mustache walking hand in hand with me down the street, murmurs of "what does she see in him" would be heard.
                                Come now friend, you are not THAT hideous..
                                "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Working...
                                X