Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 117

Thread: Lingo is gone

  1. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    tooblue, knock it off.

    I'm not on, nor do I speak for, the committee. But it seems the decision was hardly arbitrary. The rules are explicitly stated, and lingo repeatedly and deliberately refused to comply. There is no injustice here. Find something else to rant about.
    I'm not ranting nor have I hinted at an injustice -- don't paint my post with unfounded assertions as to my motivation. I do find the corollaries fascinating though.

  2. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    I think in the future when the committee makes such decisions they all should have to have this pic as their avatar for a week:
    That's just dumb. If this place was really run like a mob family, you would've been fitted with concrete shoes long ago.
    "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
    -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

  3. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    I'm not ranting nor have I hinted at an injustice -- don't paint my post with unfounded assertions as to my motivation. I do find the corollaries fascinating though.
    I'm done. Feel free to carry on. The more you post the more of a disservice you provide your cause.

  4. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    That's just dumb. If this place was really run like a mob family, you would've been fitted with concrete shoes long ago.
    lol ... I saved you the trouble by fitting myself

  5. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    I'm done. Feel free to carry on. The more you post the more of a disservice you provide your cause.
    I don't have a cause babs.

  6. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
    tooblue,

    What changed with you? You are now the ACLU of the board. And not in a good way.
    Whether he deserved it or not it's still a very harsh thing to do. Cougarboard gives birth to CougarGuard which gives birth CougarUteForum and yet nothing really changes.

  7. #37
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    26,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Whether he deserved it or not it's still a very harsh thing to do. Cougarboard gives birth to CougarGuard which gives birth CougarUteForum and yet nothing really changes.
    Do you think he deserved it? I never thought that Lingo would actually ever be banned. I don't think I could have pulled the trigger.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  8. #38
    Princeps Inter Pares
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    10,919

    Default

    It was easier this time, wasn't it?

    Problem with deciding your rules on a case by case basis is the fact that so much depends upon how sympathetic your victims are. Nobody will cry over Lingo, after all.

    But you already know how I feel.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

  9. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by All-American View Post
    It was easier this time, wasn't it?

    Problem with deciding your rules on a case by case basis is the fact that so much depends upon how sympathetic your victims are. Nobody will cry over Lingo, after all.

    But you already know how I feel.
    The easiest was brother_h8. Nobody stood up for that guy.

  10. #40
    Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Eug
    Posts
    25,725

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Look at the edges of the surface of the milk. It doesn't look good. It's going sour or been poisoned. I think tooblue is saying someting else, something harsher about this place. He's saying it's rotten to the core!
    This post was very Napoleon Dynamite. "This cow was let loose in an onion patch."
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

  11. #41
    Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Eug
    Posts
    25,725

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    The easiest was brother_h8. Nobody stood up for that guy.
    I think you took some pleasure in that one. You have given bans to 2 Brighton High alums, perhaps because they might be aware of a horrible secret you have hidden away. I am worried about my future.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

  12. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Look at the edges of the surface of the milk. It doesn't look good. It's going sour or been poisoned. I think tooblue is saying someting else, something harsher about this place. He's saying it's rotten to the core!
    He's saying that we're like the milk-loving detective from Inglourious Bastards. The Jewhunter.

  13. #43

    Default

    Lingo wasn't the only person on the board suffering from social retardation, his case was just the most severe.

  14. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by All-American View Post
    It was easier this time, wasn't it?

    Problem with deciding your rules on a case by case basis is the fact that so much depends upon how sympathetic your victims are. Nobody will cry over Lingo, after all.

    But you already know how I feel.
    Problem? That is the chief virtue of our approach in this setting.

  15. #45
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    11,423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    you know, if you think about it "manure" really isn't a bad word: "ma" and "newer." Both pretty good things.
    "Yes, and when you consider the other choices, 'manure' is actually pretty refreshing."

  16. #46
    I ♥ gateway sex FN Phat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Surfah's Clan
    Posts
    8,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    He's saying that we're like the milk-loving detective from Inglourious Bastards. The Jewhunter.
    For every Jewhunter there is a Bear Jew.
    I'm your huckleberry.


    "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

  17. #47
    Senior Member myboynoah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Holy Land
    Posts
    14,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    "Yes, and when you consider the other choices, 'manure' is actually pretty refreshing."
    Thank you for recognizing Solon's fine contribution. You guys make me laugh.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

    For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

    Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

  18. #48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Do you think he deserved it? I never thought that Lingo would actually ever be banned. I don't think I could have pulled the trigger.
    I don't know -- can't say. Obviously the committee felt he crossed a line and I don't begrudge them their right to act as they see fit. I'm just making observations.

  19. #49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    I don't know -- can't say. Obviously the committee felt he crossed a line and I don't begrudge them their right to act as they see fit. I'm just making observations.
    Just a quick word here. I didn't mind Lingo. I didn't look forward to his posts or anything, but I didn't mind him. He was certainly more right-leaning in politics and religion than many on this board, and many disliked him because he was less than tactful in his approach.

    However, I think his unpopularity had nothing to do with his ban. I have never seen anyone say the things he said today without being disciplined. That he was a repeat offender forced the EC to make the suspension permanent. The mods have a tough job, and I appreciate the work they do to make this site enjoyable.

    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

  20. #50
    Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,867

    Default

    FWIW, I feel much the same way as Cowboy. I actually liked Johnny, but think he crossed the line with his recent actions. I wouldn't mind sitting next to JL at a ballgame sometime in the future and get to know him better.

  21. #51
    Senior Member byu71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    22,114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    FWIW, I feel much the same way as Cowboy. I actually liked Johnny, but think he crossed the line with his recent actions. I wouldn't mind sitting next to JL at a ballgame sometime in the future and get to know him better.
    He is like a good lookin gal who refuses to shave her mustache.

  22. #52
    Strikes and Gutters chrisrenrut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Davis County, UT
    Posts
    982

    Default

    Did his offence get deleted? I'm curious what it was. Then again, if it was in a political thread I probably don't care to know.

  23. #53
    CS Institutional Memory Jarid in Cedar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Up on western high
    Posts
    12,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by byu71 View Post
    He is like a good lookin gal who refuses to shave her mustache.
    I just puked in my mouth just a little
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

    "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

    "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

    -Rick Majerus

  24. #54
    Senior Member myboynoah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Holy Land
    Posts
    14,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by byu71 View Post
    He is like a good lookin gal who refuses to shave her mustache.
    Yeah, what is up with that?
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

    For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

    Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

  25. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    Just a quick word here. I didn't mind Lingo. I didn't look forward to his posts or anything, but I didn't mind him. He was certainly more right-leaning in politics and religion than many on this board, and many disliked him because he was less than tactful in his approach.

    However, I think his unpopularity had nothing to do with his ban. I have never seen anyone say the things he said today without being disciplined. That he was a repeat offender forced the EC to make the suspension permanent. The mods have a tough job, and I appreciate the work they do to make this site enjoyable.
    I agree, in that I didn't mind Lingo's presence, even though I found his tactics and personality to be extremely annoying. I was always glad that there was a place for him here, and it makes me sad that he couldn't hold back from abusing other folks on the board. I'm also a little sad that his final outburst happened in a thread where we were sparring. I sort of feel as if we were fooling around in our cars, swerving toward each other a bit like stupid teenagers, then came along wuap (not pointing fingers here, just saying what happened), and poor Lingo saw red, tried to run wuap off the road, and that was all she wrote. If you read this Lingo, I'm sorry if I primed the pump there!

    Policy-wise, I can understand the move. Though the decision of the executive counsel is perfectly understandable, I would like to make one suggestion, and then I will withdraw from the discussion. People can change a lot in a year. People can grow up a lot, figure things out, settle down, and mature. I know that this place meant something to Lingo, in spite of what he claimed. I suggest he get a 12 month suspension. In fact, I think that should be the standard, and that no person should ever get a permanent ban. Twelve months is a long time to think about things and gain some perspective. If he comes back, unrepentant, he can have another 12 months. If he comes back in two years, unrepentant, he can have another 12 months. Eventually we will either set our clocks by his annual blow-outs (oddly entertaining), or one day he will show up with a bit of humility, maybe a wife and some kids, and maybe an interesting perspective. He WILL eventually be a different person, just like we all transform, and I would like to think that the potential of suffering an annual blowout, from anyone (Rocky included), is worth it in order for this to be a community that embraces the teachings of Jesus Christ, and offers everyone the chance to become a better self, and that we are collectively willing to forgive, not once, not seven times, but seven times seven times (49 years of Lingo blowouts, eventually brought to us in high def, later in 3D Plasma, and eventually in our own little holodecks).

    Anyhow, if I were a member of the executive committee, this is the direction I would encourage things to go. I understand there is a sense of frustration, especially with anyone who persistently attacks others, and thereby compels the executive committee to be tirelessly vigilant. I think that year-long breaks for petulant abusers would be a fine tradition that honors the best tenets of Christian belief. We should recognize the potential for repentance and personal transformation. If Christ could make the lame man walk, then Christ might cure Lingo's lameness too. I think it is sort of an act of faith in Christ to offer people the chance to come back after a year. My two cents.

    Cheers!

    rf

  26. #56
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    11,423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by byu71 View Post
    He is like a good lookin gal who refuses to shave her mustache.
    This has me laughing, and not just for the great line itself, but also because I wonder if '71 may be dealing with this issue currently. I imagine him staring into the deep blue eyes of his female companion, then pulling away for a full face view, and then ... "Oh crap!" Hormone therapy might help. Or the Schick Quattro is nice.

  27. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    This has me laughing, and not just for the great line itself, but also because I wonder if '71 may be dealing with this issue currently. I imagine him staring into the deep blue eyes eye of his female companion, then pulling away for a full face view, and then ... "Oh crap!" Hormone therapy might help. Or the Schick Quattro is nice.
    Corrected.
    Last edited by RobinFinderson; 01-12-2010 at 10:33 PM.

  28. #58
    Senior Member byu71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    22,114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    This has me laughing, and not just for the great line itself, but also because I wonder if '71 may be dealing with this issue currently. I imagine him staring into the deep blue eyes of his female companion, then pulling away for a full face view, and then ... "Oh crap!" Hormone therapy might help. Or the Schick Quattro is nice.
    I am reminded of the guy criticizing the looks of some gal and why he wouldn't date her, only to be reminded he wasn't Tom Cruise.

    I am at the point where if I had a good looking girl with a mustache walking hand in hand with me down the street, murmurs of "what does she see in him" would be heard.

  29. #59
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    26,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobinFinderson View Post
    I agree, in that I didn't mind Lingo's presence, even though I found his tactics and personality to be extremely annoying. I was always glad that there was a place for him here, and it makes me sad that he couldn't hold back from abusing other folks on the board. I'm also a little sad that his final outburst happened in a thread where we were sparring. I sort of feel as if we were fooling around in our cars, swerving toward each other a bit like stupid teenagers, then came along wuap (not pointing fingers here, just saying what happened), and poor Lingo saw red, tried to run wuap off the road, and that was all she wrote. If you read this Lingo, I'm sorry if I primed the pump there!

    Policy-wise, I can understand the move. Though the decision of the executive counsel is perfectly understandable, I would like to make one suggestion, and then I will withdraw from the discussion. People can change a lot in a year. People can grow up a lot, figure things out, settle down, and mature. I know that this place meant something to Lingo, in spite of what he claimed. I suggest he get a 12 month suspension. In fact, I think that should be the standard, and that no person should ever get a permanent ban. Twelve months is a long time to think about things and gain some perspective. If he comes back, unrepentant, he can have another 12 months. If he comes back in two years, unrepentant, he can have another 12 months. Eventually we will either set our clocks by his annual blow-outs (oddly entertaining), or one day he will show up with a bit of humility, maybe a wife and some kids, and maybe an interesting perspective. He WILL eventually be a different person, just like we all transform, and I would like to think that the potential of suffering an annual blowout, from anyone (Rocky included), is worth it in order for this to be a community that embraces the teachings of Jesus Christ, and offers everyone the chance to become a better self, and that we are collectively willing to forgive, not once, not seven times, but seven times seven times (49 years of Lingo blowouts, eventually brought to us in high def, later in 3D Plasma, and eventually in our own little holodecks).

    Anyhow, if I were a member of the executive committee, this is the direction I would encourage things to go. I understand there is a sense of frustration, especially with anyone who persistently attacks others, and thereby compels the executive committee to be tirelessly vigilant. I think that year-long breaks for petulant abusers would be a fine tradition that honors the best tenets of Christian belief. We should recognize the potential for repentance and personal transformation. If Christ could make the lame man walk, then Christ might cure Lingo's lameness too. I think it is sort of an act of faith in Christ to offer people the chance to come back after a year. My two cents.

    Cheers!

    rf
    Well said, bat boy.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  30. #60
    CS Institutional Memory Jarid in Cedar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Up on western high
    Posts
    12,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by byu71 View Post
    I am reminded of the guy criticizing the looks of some gal and why he wouldn't date her, only to be reminded he wasn't Tom Cruise.

    I am at the point where if I had a good looking girl with a mustache walking hand in hand with me down the street, murmurs of "what does she see in him" would be heard.
    Come now friend, you are not THAT hideous..
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

    "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

    "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

    -Rick Majerus

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •