The Video Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
    I'm shocked that someone actually owned the 3DO that thing was ridiculously expensive.

I also owned a Dreamcast and that thing was a great video game system. I am embarrassed to admit that I actually wasted the money on the Sega 32X.
    The Dreamcast and Sega Saturn were sweet. We had a Saturn and it was awesome.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
      I'm shocked that someone actually owned the 3DO that thing was ridiculously expensive.
      Was it? I remember once it was announced that it was going under, you get buy 3DO games at media play for like $10. It was sweet.

3DO had great graphics and sound for its time - I'd put it on part with the Playstation, which everyone knows shook up the video gaming world for the best. It was also sort of a strange platform, as 3DO licensed its technology to several manufacturers. You could buy a Panasonic 3DO, or a 3DO from some other manufacturer, but the games worked in all of them. I would be strange if you could buy an XBOX 360 made by Dell.
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

BTW, I moved my PS3 into the same room where my computer is which correspondingly picks up my neighbor's wireless internet signal (which I split the cost of with him). The PS3 now picks up the internet and it was surprisingly easy to get it online. As it turns out, my difficulties connecting in the past was because the internet signal in my main room was crappy (I don't have a laptop, so I didn't know this).

Anyway, it's been a revelation in the form of streaming Netflix, buying games/playing demos online and the PS3 has a more capable web browser than I initially thought. It supports java and flash video which is most of what you need for multimedia stuff it seems like. The "HD" streaming capablity of Netflix is questionable, it looks like it's regular DVD quality to me.
        Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Forza 3

I've been playing a lot of Forza 3 lately. I've never been a huge racing game fan. My prior experience with racing games basically consists of playing Daytona at Dave and Buster's. I have a few friends who raved about Forza 3, and I read a few very favorable reviews of the game online. I commented to the wife that I was looking at this game back in early November. I received a promotion at work a week or so later, and my wife got the game for me as a gift.

This game is fantastic and has hours upon hours of great gameplay. The single player seasons keep you engaged. You start out in F class cars (think Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris). As you win races you gain experience and in-game credits to spend on new cars and tuning upgrades. The game also rewards you with new cars as you progress through the seasons. I'm in year four of six on the single player season mode, and I have just started racing with the R2 class (second best class overall).

The racing feels great, even just with the regular controller. No racing wheel necessary. You feel it when you are drifting through a turn and your tires start to grab the road at just the right time to rocket you out of the turn. There are tons of cars to unlock and race with, and each one feels different and precise. There are also a great many real-life track locations that have been painstakingly rendered. The graphics are pristine. I love (trying to) drift around the switch backs on Fujimi Kaido in my 2010 GT-R Spec V and seeing a gorgeous waterfall or serene lake in the distance.

Like I said, I'm not much of a racing game fan. I love my shooters and 3rd person action games. This game has been a fantastic addition to my collection. It's fun to break away and just blaze around the track sometimes, you know?
          Last edited by Colly Wolly; 01-18-2010, 08:08 PM.

Comment

If anybody wants a decent game system bundle, Amazon is selling their holiday bundles. It's the Xbox Elite with Lego Batman and Pure. Also comes with a $50 Amazon GC. $293. Prime shipping eligible.
            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
            -Turtle
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
              If anybody wants a decent game system bundle, Amazon is selling their holiday bundles. It's the Xbox Elite with Lego Batman and Pure. Also comes with a $50 Amazon GC. $293. Prime shipping eligible.
              I know this is going to sound lame, but Lego Batman is a great game. All the Lego games are good, but Lego Batman is possibly the best. I love the different suits Batman and Robin get. I often keep playing by myself after my son has gone to bed.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                I know this is going to sound lame, but Lego Batman is a great game. All the Lego games are good, but Lego Batman is possibly the best. I love the different suits Batman and Robin get. I often keep playing by myself after my son has gone to bed.

I am getting really sick of that game. My son has it and I am constantly being asked to play. I do, but I can only play the same level so many times. It was fun though.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                  I am getting really sick of that game. My son has it and I am constantly being asked to play. I do, but I can only play the same level so many times. It was fun though.
                  You can't beat the first level? lol!

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Got Modern Warfare 2 today, because my kids want me to play it with them online. I've had an xbox for about 6 months, but have only played Tiger Woods Golf. I've played around with MW2 a little, but am pretty lost. Any advice on the best way to get to a level so I can at least compete with my kids?
                    "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                      I love the Lego games. My kids love them. We played through the complete Star Wars, most of Indy (that one is harder for them because it seems to have more puzzles), and most of Batman.

I think they are pretty fun. I have heard that Viva Pinata is a fun game for the kids. Any feedback on that one? Is it boring?
                      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Speaking of this thread, the office buzz right now is an unintentionally funny videogame that you can d/l from xbox live. It is called: "Don't be Nervous talking 2 Girls."

It basically tries to teach you how to approach women in a variety of social settings. The game is SFW and has no adult content. There is also a free trial version you can d/l.

I didn't do very well in some of the scenarios...esp at the end when she gives you this ridiculously long phone number. I couldn't remember it and she got mad!

My wife did very well and seemed to instinctively know how to talk to girls. (also, /)

I encourage all Cuffers to check it out. The full version costs $1. I haven't sprung for it yet (swish!) but I am considering it. Go to the marketplace and look under the indie games section.

Here is a screen shot (and a sweater shot at the same time)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                          I love the Lego games. My kids love them. We played through the complete Star Wars, most of Indy (that one is harder for them because it seems to have more puzzles), and most of Batman.

I think they are pretty fun. I have heard that Viva Pinata is a fun game for the kids. Any feedback on that one? Is it boring?

I agree. They are fun. The batman one was pretty easy, comparatively, which is why my son likes it so much, I think.

I have never played Viva Pinata, but I heard the same as you.

Comment

I played Viva Pinata (the original game, not the party animals one). It was fun at first, then fizzled after about 8 hours or so of total game play. It has kind of a Sim City type feel to it. I'd recommend it for young kids. I think you can pick it up for less than $10 used or download it direct from the Xbox Live Marketplace. Definitely worth a try at that price.

Comment

Originally posted by Colly Wolly View Post
                              I played Viva Pinata (the original game, not the party animals one). It was fun at first, then fizzled after about 8 hours or so of total game play. It has kind of a Sim City type feel to it. I'd recommend it for young kids. I think you can pick it up for less than $10 used or download it direct from the Xbox Live Marketplace. Definitely worth a try at that price.
                              what is it? I don't get it and the description on the box isn't very intuitive. GameStop has a load of copies for $10 or less so I figure it may be a fun thing for the kids. But I get the sense that it is one of those virtual pet things that you water and feed. Zzzzz.

Some (most) of the kiddie games are really lame, but every now and then you find some that are quite playable.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                                what is it? I don't get it and the description on the box isn't very intuitive. GameStop has a load of copies for $10 or less so I figure it may be a fun thing for the kids. But I get the sense that it is one of those virtual pet things that you water and feed. Zzzzz.

Some (most) of the kiddie games are really lame, but every now and then you find some that are quite playable.
                                I mean, I can't believe I told you I actually enjoyed playing this game. You've got this garden, see? And your objective is to increase the value of your garden. This is done by attracting pinatas to the garden, adding attractive structures, planting trees and plants (the fruits of which the pinatas feed on), and keeping out threats. You start off with your basic level pinatas, and you have to provide them with homes to live in, you help them reproduce.

A little more detail on the reproducing. The game handles it pretty tactfully. It's called "romancing" and you have to have certain criteria met with the condition of your garden before you can successfully "romance" two pinatas to make more. The actually "romancing" is a little mini game where you navagate two pinatas to each other through a maze. Once you do it successfully, two pinatas dance with each other in a cute animation, and, voila, you successfully mated your pinatas.

You can sell off excess pinatas when you have too many. Pinatas keep getting rarer and rarer with more complex requirements. Therein lies the challenge of the game, successfully managing a complex garden to maximize its value. Good hell.... I dunno if I can call myself a man after reading all that.

Comment

Working...
                                X