Page 3 of 195 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: The "last movie I saw" thread

Philosophical Goldilocks Gidget's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFinderson View Post
    By saying "Kill Bill" without saying which one, I or II, I hope you mean to say that you watched both of them back to back. I loved both Kill Bills, but I think they only attain 'magnum opus' status as a single whole.
    These movies blew me away. I freakin' luv'em.
    I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PAC

You know how President Hinckley said he doesn't worry about those who pray? The same can be said for men who are self-aware enough to know when there's a life to be lived outside of the world of video games. - Anonymous

The last movie I watched was JAWS. I forgot how gruesome it was in spots. And there was the naked chick at the beginning. Submission for understatement of the day: My guess is that if it were released today it wouldn't get the PG rating from the MPAA that it got in 1975.

It Might Get Loud.

Documentary with three pretty decent guitarists.

Grooveshark dick tease MarkGrace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OhioBlue View Post
    It Might Get Loud.

That one is also in my Netflix queue and taking longer than I want it to.

I saw Book of Eli on Friday. Didn't love it, but didn't hate it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bastage View Post
    I saw Book of Eli on Friday. Didn't love it, but didn't hate it.
    For some reason the checkout guy at Trader Joe's felt the need to tell me that he had recently seen this film, and that he thought I would really like it.

That's because you were wearing your Mila Kunis shirt.

"American Splendor". I liked it. I had no knowledge of the comic book series prior to the film, but the way they told the story was quite creative. I especially appreciated the secondary roles for James Urbaniak and Judah Friedlander.

Has overcome great fear Green Lantern's Avatar

I just watched GET SHORTY again. One of my favorite "anytime" movies. It's almost at quotable as LEBOWSKI.

Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Ute View Post
    I just watched Dazed and Confused for the first time and really was expecting much more from it. Me and my high expectations....
    No movie has made me vacillate as many times between, "really clever and really good" and "ok, but over-rated". I have only seen the edited version they show every 17 days on TNT or FX, so some important scenes or plot devices may be edited out. I will say much of the film does remind me of my older brother and the friends he hung out with HS, they looked and talked EXACTLY like the characters. He even had one friend as annoying and sadistic as Fred (Ben Affleck). I do like it more after 5 or 6 viewings than I did the first time I saw it.

My brother and I just went to the monthly Free Movie Night at Brewvies in Salt Lake. They screened ARMY OF DARKNESS and it was awesome. The crowd were all huge fans and every Bruce Campbell line was greeted with roars of approval. I love that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioBlue View Post
    It Might Get Loud.

I've got it right now. I've made 2 attempts at watching it-- fell asleep both times. I like it, it's just that I watch it late and the music is so damned pleasant.

Hotel Rwanda: holy shit. Heavy stuff, but great movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    I've got it right now. I've made 2 attempts at watching it-- fell asleep both times. I like it, it's just that I watch it late and the music is so damned pleasant.
    I got it last night but haven't watched it yet.

I did finish Inglorious Basterds the other night, which I loved. Took me three full shifts to watch that one. I saw the first half on Christmas Eve in Utah, and then had to wait to get it from Netflix when I got back home to Seattle. It took my two viewings from there since the first time I put it on it was 1am and I only made it through about 30 mins before passing out.

I took a long lunch Monday and saw "Legion". I was pleasantly surprised, but only because I went in with very, very low expectations. That said, I'm a sucker for Paul Bettany, so I'm probably giving the movie too much credit.
    Spoiler for "Legion":
    It's essentially a zombie movie with a not-really-that-clever-and-actually-very-confusing twist. Some decent action scenes (although not enough of them), some laugh out loud moments (some intentionally funny, others not so much) and plenty of forced one-liners. The special effects really struggled at times, and there is one particular scene (set in heaven?) that is unintentionally hilarious. Once I stopped caring about the illogical premise of the entire plot, I actually enjoyed it.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by BoylenOver View Post
    "American Splendor". I liked it. I had no knowledge of the comic book series prior to the film, but the way they told the story was quite creative. I especially appreciated the secondary roles for James Urbaniak and Judah Friedlander.
    For anyone that hasn't seen it, I highly recommend American Splendor. It has Paul Giamatti's best performance of his career and I think that's saying at least a little something.

"Revenge of the Neeeyerrrds."

Deliverance is on Spike right this very second. For some reason I end up watching this everytime it's on TV.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFinderson View Post
    For some reason the checkout guy at Trader Joe's felt the need to tell me that he had recently seen this film, and that he thought I would really like it.
    it's basically the fusion of the JS story and Mormon. Sort of how Avatar is really the story of Pocahontas with the names changed. Avoid at all costs

I just watched a couple of films at the Sundance Film Festival yesterday. One was an animated shorts collection. They're always fun because they include such a wide range of material. Last night was no different. There were some comic shorts, some emotionally powerful ones and a couple that were just completely bizarre.

The other was called WINTER'S BONE. I'm glad to hear this one got picked up by a distributor because it was excellent. It's about a 17 year old girl in the Ozarks who has to confront a bunch of scary meth-cooking relatives in the search for her bail-skipping father. Excellent performances, excellent direction and entirely engrossing. Watch out for it when it finally makes the rounds to theaters.

I streamed The Proposition(2005) from Netflix last night. I am a sucker for westerns and Guy Pearce, so that got me interested. Then I noticed Nick Cave wrote the screenplay, Interesting.

Very good film with great performances by Guy Pearce, Ray Winstone, and John Hurt. It is brutally violent film that seems will stick with me for some time. I want to watch it again.

4.5 out of 5 - Best western since Unforgiven IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
    I streamed The Proposition(2005) from Netflix last night. I am a sucker for westerns and Guy Pearce, so that got me interested. Then I noticed Nick Cave wrote the screenplay, Interesting.

Very good film with great performances by Guy Pearce, Ray Winstone, and John Hurt. It is brutally violent film that seems will stick with me for some time. I want to watch it again.

4.5 out of 5 - Best western since Unforgiven IMO.
    Also, that movie felt very much like a Cormac McCarthy western, which is why I got excited when the director took on THE ROAD as his next project.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
    Also, that movie felt very much like a Cormac McCarthy western, which is why I got excited when the director took on THE ROAD as his next project.

I would agree with that. I should have paid more attention to who was the director. Did you get to see The Road? Was it as bad as rumored, or just impossible to live up to expectations?

I still haven't seen it, but a few fellow McCarthy fans I trust have told me that the movie is a worthy adaptation, although not nearly as good as the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
    ...the movie is a worthy adaptation, although not nearly as good as the book.

Almost always the case, isn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
    Almost always the case, isn't it.
    Yeah, good point. It's probably a pretty short list of movies that are markedly better than the books upon which they're based.

Saw I Love You, Beth Cooper.

That sure was good.

Also saw It Might Get Loud, but I thought we had a thread for that one? Can't find it.

Anyway, I really enjoyed it and thought it provided some fascinating insight into the lives of these musicians. I never give The Edge enough credit because of the band he is in, but the guy is pretty awesome. His technology obsessed approach to music serves as the counterpoint to White's anti-tech approach (that first scene where he attaches a string to a coke bottle and board and then plugs it into an amp was just awesome), and it was interesting to see them coming at the guitar from such different angles.

I tend to be more fascinated with the tech-geek approach, and thought it was cool when The Edge shut down all the effects to show what one of his riffs sounded like without it. His comment about Spinal Tap had me rolling, and gave me a greater appreciation for U2, since I tend to agree with what they were trying to do in the post-punk era (ie. trying to leave 70s excess behind). White is also a fascinating character, and I keep waiting for the day when I totally fall in love with his music. So far it hasn't happened, but I do like his stuff a great deal. Listening to him talk about his favorite song of all time was especially insightful. It's this old blues songs that is just hand claps to provide the time and this guy singing over it. White claims that every time he makes a song, he's just trying to recreate the simplicity and conviction captured in that track.

Also cool to see some old Page footage from the Yardbirds, his sessions days, and his tour of the house where they recorded IV. And of course it was cool to see all them jam together, especially that slide guitar bit.

I watched 'Sunshine Cleaning' yesterday. Came out in 2008 I believe. The plot is described thusly: "In order to raise the tuition to send her young son to private school, a mom starts an unusual business -- a biohazard removal/crime scene clean-up service -- with her unreliable sister."

It's more drama than comedy, and really gets into the relationships and how the characters deal with adversity. The crime scene cleaning is just the vehicle. All in all I quite liked it and it made an impression on me. I'd give it about an 8 out of 10.

Saw Edge of Darkness over the weekend. I thought it was entertaining, but it needed something more for me to give it a full endorsement. Definitely worth seeing Friday afternoon during work.

I don't know how to put the spoiler button on my post so I won't say anything else about the movie. Has anyone else seen it yet?

Went to Sundance and saw "Cyrus" starring John C. Reilly, Marisa Tomei, and Jonah Hill. Absolutely hysterical. Funniest movie I've seen in a looong time.