Page 2 of 195 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: The "last movie I saw" thread

Grooveshark dick tease MarkGrace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
    Besides EXTRACT, the other movie I just saw was ANTICHRIST. Anybody else seen it? I'd love to have someone else to commiserate with about its awfulness. Ham-handed pseudo-philosophy and genital mutilation galore!

Though I do have to admit that it was the second best movie featuring a talking fox that I saw in all of 2009.
    I will do some von Trier movies, but that's not one of them. I'm staying far away from that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    She needs to close her mouth. I swear it is always open, and it makes her look stupid. DUH!

I will not complain about this photo.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Has overcome great fear Green Lantern's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarkGrace View Post
    I will do some von Trier movies, but that's not one of them. I'm staying far away from that one.
    Your insight serves you well. I don't tell people I saw ANTICHRIST. I tell them I endured it.

Van Diemen's Land comes out on DVD on the 20th. I am looking forward to it. Kind of reminds me of Ravenous, which I enjoyed.

[YOUTUBE]v/8tmHbMzAfEc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" [/YOUTUBE]

I will review, once I get to see. Sorry for the slight threadjack.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
    Van Diemen's Land comes out on DVD on the 20th. I am looking forward to it. Kind of reminds me of Ravenous, which I enjoyed.

[YOUTUBE]v/8tmHbMzAfEc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" [/YOUTUBE]

I will review, once I get to see. Sorry for the slight threadjack.
    I thought this was going to be a U2 concert dvd.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Watched Nacho Libre last night. I don't care what you say, that show's funny.

Kill Bill. I hadn't seen it before, and it's pretty great. I loved it.

I just watched Dazed and Confused for the first time and really was expecting much more from it. Me and my high expectations....

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Ute View Post
    I just watched Dazed and Confused for the first time and really was expecting much more from it. Me and my high expectations....
    That movie is great.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Howl's Moving Castle. Finally saw it last night, dvr'ed from IFC, with the kids.

What von Trier movies have you seen?

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    That movie is great.
    I kind of liked it, but what exactly was the plot?

I kind of liked it, but what exactly was the plot?
    Plots aren't always the point in Richard Linklater's movies. They're often more about evoking a time and a place, which DAZED does better than anything.

What von Trier movies have you seen?
    Dancer in the Dark and Dogville.

Dancer in the Dark and Dogville.
    I've seen DOGVILLE--Liked the filmmaking and acting. Hated the themes. The other one I've seen is THE FIVE OBSTRUCTIONS which is kind of a documentary where von Trier challenges this other filmmaker to remake the same short film over and over again with different restrictions. It's pretty great.

Do you recommend DANCER IN THE DARK?

If you like Bjork It's not the best film ever, but worth watching.

Just finished Blood Simple. Despite being a pretty big fan of the Coens, I had never seen this debut. The pace is a little slow, but overall it's a great thriller with a very Hitchcockian vibe to it. Very impressive cinematography (the panoramic and still shots are worthy of being hung on a wall) and the sound was terrific (had kind of this hollow, ricocheting thing going on). Overall I'd give it a 9/10.

Suomalainen New Mexican Disaster's Avatar

I'm determined to see this just because Mila Kunis looked too hot for words in the trailer.
    She has googly eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
    She has googly eyes.
    They look a beautiful green to me.

CS Institutional Memory Jarid in Cedar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
    She has googly eyes.
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Capote. Hoffman is fantastic.

Banned

You are dead to me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BoylenOver View Post
    Kill Bill. I hadn't seen it before, and it's pretty great. I loved it.
    By saying "Kill Bill" without saying which one, I or II, I hope you mean to say that you watched both of them back to back. I loved both Kill Bills, but I think they only attain 'magnum opus' status as a single whole.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFinderson View Post
    By saying "Kill Bill" without saying which one, I or II, I hope you mean to say that you watched both of them back to back. I loved both Kill Bills, but I think they only attain 'magnum opus' status as a single whole.
    It's possible to watch them separately?

I saw Terry Gilliam's THE IMAGINARIUM OF DR PARNASSUS last night. Despite the good performances by Heath Ledger, Johnny Depp, Jude Law and Colin Farrell (all as the same character) the movie was a disappointment. The plotting and screenplay were scattershot, even by Gilliam standards and the whole enterprise was just a mess. I think Gilliam needs a strong hand to guide him away from giving into his excesses and pet indulgences.

Banned

I saw Terry Gilliam's THE IMAGINARIUM OF DR PARNASSUS last night. Despite the good performances by Heath Ledger, Johnny Depp, Jude Law and Colin Farrell (all as the same character) the movie was a disappointment. The plotting and screenplay were scattershot, even by Gilliam standards and the whole enterprise was just a mess. I think Gilliam needs a strong hand to guide him away from giving into his excesses and pet indulgences.
    I saw that at the Broadway a week or two ago. Written and directed by Terry Gilliam (Monty Python and the Holy Grail) plus the outstanding cast that you mentioned (also Christopher Plummer), I gave it a chance but it was too fantastical and over the top, even by Gilliam's standards. And what's with the 15-year-old girl showing her breasts in a morality tale? That's the English for you.

I did however find it touching when we reached the point where Heath Ledger died, after his final scene the film noticeably shifted from a low budget, art house film to a moderate budget as his friends took over and insisted the film was finished. They not only spent their personal funds on the production but have also donated all profits to his daughter's trust.

Guess I'll wait for the DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
    I saw that at the Broadway a week or two ago. Written and directed by Terry Gilliam (Monty Python and the Holy Grail) plus the outstanding cast that you mentioned (also Christopher Plummer), I gave it a chance but it was too fantastical and over the top, even by Gilliam's standards. And what's with the 15-year-old girl showing her breasts in a morality tale? That's the English for you.

I did however find it touching when we reached the point where Heath Ledger died, after his final scene the film noticeably shifted from a low budget, art house film to a moderate budget as his friends took over and insisted the film was finished. They not only spent their personal funds on the production but have also donated all profits to his daughter's trust.
    That's an interesting point about the noticeable budget shift post-Ledger's death. I have to say I was impressed by how well the different actors/same role gimmick worked. I guess it probably helped that I am a fan of all of those actors anyway. In the end I found the whole thing wearying. It was almost oppressively fantastical. I'm not sure if Gilliam has a good movie left in him. I've been disappointed in his last three films (this, BROTHERS GRIMM and TIDELAND) and that last one was one of the worst movies I saw this past decade. If you think the topless 15 year old was offensive, wait until you see a ten year old shooting heroin into her dad's arm and tending his bloated corpse after he OD's. Good Lord that movie was terrible.

Guess I'll wait for the DVD.
    Better yet, just go rewatch BRAZIL or TIME BANDITS.

Food Inc. It was well done and gets you thinking. You know what is going on, but this helps tie it all together. Gross.