No announcement yet.

The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "And now, like a supermodel's vagina, let's all give a warm welcome to Leonardo Dicaprio."

lol. Tina Fey's best line last night.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• This is pretty funny.....

http://scallywagandvagabond.com/2014...remiere-nears/

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
        Saw Rush. Pretty meh. Didn't hate it. Didn't love it. Picked up steam after a very slow start. The Niki Lauda character was interesting. The playboy character was kind of boring.
        Absolutely loved loved loved this movie. Loved the history it told. Loved the playboy character. Loved the Niki Lauda character even though I'm sure I would thoroughly dislike him in real life. Loved the fact that racing in its early stages was so fluid you could create your own racing persona and team with little more than brains and sheer bloody obstinacy.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
          I know this is a bit facile, but since the title of the movie states the outcome (sorry for the spoiler, you dimwitted few...), I haven't been that inclined to see this. What was it that appealed to you? I thought the 60 minutes interview with the guy was interesting, but I feel like I've already seen the film.
          For me, it was exciting like Zero Dark Thirty was exciting, even though we know exactly what happens. Did you like ZDT?

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
            Absolutely loved loved loved this movie. Loved the history it told. Loved the playboy character. Loved the Niki Lauda character even though I'm sure I would thoroughly dislike him in real life. Loved the fact that racing in its early stages was so fluid you could create your own racing persona and team with little more than brains and sheer bloody obstinacy.
            I watched it last night. I really liked it too. Started out despising the Lauda guy but admired him by the end.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
              Interesting. I haven't seen the film but I lived in Europe during Lauda's first championship season. He was a rock star. But it is woefully incorrect to say that 1975 was the early stages of racing. Far from it. I guess I will have to a see the film to see how far off my memory is.
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                Saw Rush. Pretty meh. Didn't hate it. Didn't love it. Picked up steam after a very slow start. The Niki Lauda character was interesting. The playboy character was kind of boring.
                For some reason my wife enjoyed the playboy character and really didn't care for the Lauda character.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                  For some reason my wife enjoyed the playboy character and really didn't care for the Lauda character.
                  Your wife has always had impeccable taste in men.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• i loved rush, one of my favorite movies of the year. they were a little generous to lauda at the end (who ended up cheating on his wife and leaving her, iirc).
                    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                      PAC having read the book and knowing the outcome I still wanted to see it. It is a good movie and definitely worth viewing. I think you will enjoy it. Gives a real human element to war and what these guys are willing to do for our country.
                      Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                      For me, it was exciting like Zero Dark Thirty was exciting, even though we know exactly what happens. Did you like ZDT?
                      These are worthy points and I'm going to see it, although the missus has been acceding to my various film choices so I may need to go to a couple of hers first.

Speaking of hers, we saw it last night. I enjoyed it, but the missus laughed when I asked if she liked it. I acknowledge Joaquin Phoenix is a very skilled actor, but I don't care for him all that much. I liked the view of the near future, with everyone walking around having conversations with people who aren't there, and the treatment of how relationships are changing because of screens. Scarlett Johannson doing the Meg Ryan in Katz Deli routine was a bit awkward, as was the surrogate scene, perhaps because my wife didn't agree with my observation that it was a interesting idea. For those who care, it has a lot of eff words (although compared with WOWS and American Hustle, Her was Disneyesque).

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                        These are worthy points and I'm going to see it, although the missus has been acceding to my various film choices so I may need to go to a couple of hers first.

Speaking of hers, we saw it last night. I enjoyed it, but the missus laughed when I asked if she liked it. I acknowledge Joaquin Phoenix is a very skilled actor, but I don't care for him all that much. I liked the view of the near future, with everyone walking around having conversations with people who aren't there, and the treatment of how relationships are changing because of screens. Scarlett Johannson doing the Meg Ryan in Katz Deli routine was a bit awkward, as was the surrogate scene, perhaps because my wife didn't agree with my observation that it was a interesting idea. For those who care, it has a lot of eff words (although compared with WOWS and American Hustle, Her was Disneyesque).
                        At least you got Her in the theater for it. Mrs. Grace just laughed when I asked if she wanted to see it.
                        So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Funniest scene in her was when when Theodore is playing that video game and he comes across that foul mouthed avatar that has a thing or two to say about Theodore's blind date. I kept rewatching that scene over and over, cracking up each time. The avatar even does some suggestive hip movements and an air slap to emphasize its point.
                          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                            12 Years a Slave

Pretty uncomfortable to watch, but necessary viewing. I'm also officially over Paul Dano.
                            We finally saw this and really enjoyed it, although "enjoyed" isn't quite the right word, since a few of the scenes are horrific and, honestly, moved me to tears. The Oscar nominations for Best Picture, Best Actor (Chiwetel Ejiofor), Supporting Actor (a very creepy Michael Fassbinder) and Supporting Actress (a relative newcomer, Lupita Nyong'o, and the one who made me lachrymose) are all well deserved.

I liked Gravity and American Hustle, the two other Oscar frontrunners, but TYAS is the best film among them. I think British director Steve McQueen doesn't get a few Americanisms quite right, but perhaps it took a foreign director to show slavery at its absolute worst. No happy darkies dancin' and asingin' in this one.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                              At least you got Her in the theater for it. Mrs. Grace just laughed when I asked if she wanted to see it.
                              I'd laugh at you too. Mrs. Grace!
                              Get confident, stupid
                              -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                                I'd laugh at you too. Mrs. Grace!
                                Jack Ryan.

Fun but light fare. As with any Costner film some cheesy lines.
                                "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Working...
                                X