No announcement yet.

The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw her last night. I've got to say that this is one of those critically praised films that I just don't completely get. There were several aspects of the film that were amazing. The world building was impeccable and I found the film visually stunning. Joaquin and Amy Adams were both very good and I found the plot itself pretty interesting for about the first 70 minutes. But eventually ScarJo's voice just really didn't do anything for me anymore and actually got really annoying. As the relationship between Joaquin and ScarJo got more serious, everything got super melodramatic and I ended up just rolling my eyes for the last 30 minutes or so. I couldn't wait for it to be over. I won't spoil what happens to ScarJo in the end, but I will say that it invoked some mocking laughter in the theater I was in. The theme (the isolation that comes from becoming reliant on technology) is very prescient and interesting, but not enough to support a two hour movie, in my opinion.

Comment

• Saw "Inside Llewyn Davis" yesterday. Like most of Coen Brothers' films, it is visually interesting. Set in the 60's, it has that faded 'old film' look. The acting is great. The soundtrack is by T. Bone Burnett, and the songs are excellent. It has the requisite 'Coen distractions', when you're really not sure where they fit in with the film. And of course, the characters are more important than the plot.

Not my favorite, but I still enjoyed it. I'd liken it to "A Serious Man'. I think if I watch it again, I'll like it more.
      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
      - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
        Saw her last night. I've got to say that this is one of those critically praised films that I just don't completely get. There were several aspects of the film that were amazing. The world building was impeccable and I found the film visually stunning. Joaquin and Amy Adams were both very good and I found the plot itself pretty interesting for about the first 70 minutes. But eventually ScarJo's voice just really didn't do anything for me anymore and actually got really annoying. As the relationship between Joaquin and ScarJo got more serious, everything got super melodramatic and I ended up just rolling my eyes for the last 30 minutes or so. I couldn't wait for it to be over. I won't spoil what happens to ScarJo in the end, but I will say that it invoked some mocking laughter in the theater I was in. The theme (the isolation that comes from becoming reliant on technology) is very prescient and interesting, but not enough to support a two hour movie, in my opinion.
        Every year there's a movie or two that critics I like absolutely gush about that just misses me. Last year it was once upon a time in anatola. The year before it was meeks cutoff.
        So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
          Every year there's a movie or two that critics I like absolutely gush about that just misses me. Last year it was once upon a time in anatola. The year before it was meeks cutoff.
          I really liked Meeks Cutoff actually, although I can see how some wouldn't. I watched it with my dad and he didn't get it at all. Haven't seen Anatolia.

Comment

• Saw Her. Liked it.
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Saw Lone Survivor. Liked it.
              "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
                Saw Lone Survivor. Liked it.
                I know this is a bit facile, but since the title of the movie states the outcome (sorry for the spoiler, you dimwitted few...), I haven't been that inclined to see this. What was it that appealed to you? I thought the 60 minutes interview with the guy was interesting, but I feel like I've already seen the film.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                  I know this is a bit facile, but since the title of the movie states the outcome (sorry for the spoiler, you dimwitted few...), I haven't been that inclined to see this. What was it that appealed to you? I thought the 60 minutes interview with the guy was interesting, but I feel like I've already seen the film.
                  Maybe you have. I only read about the incident.

It reminds me how messed up the fog of war is. It emphasized how amazing the tribal custom of pashtunwali is. It is simple but nuanced. Not a great film but worthwhile.

I watch because my son is interested in becoming a SEAL and I worry constantly.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                    PAC having read the book and knowing the outcome I still wanted to see it. It is a good movie and definitely worth viewing. I think you will enjoy it. Gives a real human element to war and what these guys are willing to do for our country.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
                    *Banned*

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                      PAC having read the book and knowing the outcome I still wanted to see it. It is a good movie and definitely worth viewing. I think you will enjoy it. Gives a real human element to war and what these guys are willing to do for our country.

Agreed. It was also inspiring to me that they never quit.

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post

I would agree with these observations as well. You do come away grateful for their sacrifices.

Comment

• Saw the film Nebraska over the weekend; I enjoyed it. Bruce Dern is very good as well as the supporting cast.

I'll also add, before Lebowski can post it ... "Nobody cares about Nebraska".
                          “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                          "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• Lone Survivor Better than I thought it would be. As with most movies it wandered from the book, but only a bit. It was moving and emotional and really hit home for me. Once again I'm reminded of the insignificance of most of my day to day challenges and thankfully cognisant of just how much I owe to our men and women in uniform.
                            "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

• Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters

About as dumb as you thought it would be, but probably more entertaining. I love old Grimms style illustrations and there are some pretty amusing graphics at the first of the flick during the credits that I loved.
                              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Saw Rush. Pretty meh. Didn't hate it. Didn't love it. Picked up steam after a very slow start. The Niki Lauda character was interesting. The playboy character was kind of boring.

Comment

Working...
                                X