Page 195 of 198 FirstFirst ... 95145185193194195196197 ... LastLast
Results 5,821 to 5,850 of 5912

Thread: The "last movie I saw" thread

  1. #5821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    No one steals a show from Paul Rudd. No one.
    have to agree. I had low expectations for this movie but I went because of Paul Rudd. It was pretty dang good. I love how Marvel has decided to make comic book movies that don't take themselves too seriously because it is a comic book movie. It makes it so much more enjoyable.
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

  2. #5822
    Major disappointment The_Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,499

    Default

    Got around to watching "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them"... absolutely loved it.

    Looking forward to the new one coming out this November.

  3. #5823
    Explosivo Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    15,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    have to agree. I had low expectations for this movie but I went because of Paul Rudd. It was pretty dang good. I love how Marvel has decided to make comic book movies that don't take themselves too seriously because it is a comic book movie. It makes it so much more enjoyable.
    D.C. has sucked b/c it can't decide whether it wants to rip off Marvel or Christopher Nolan.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

  4. #5824
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    11,823

    Default

    Greater love hath no husband than this, that he taketh his wife to Mamma Mia 2. It was well-produced, achieving superbly what I'd guess were its prime objectives, and most of the audience burst into enthusiastic applause at the end.

    But man, I dislike ABBA, and have since they debuted while I was still a student. Combining the worst of Disco, Bubble Gum Rock, and Euro Pop, they were unappealing then, as they remain for me. But my wife and friends were happy, and everyone in the movie seemed to be having a fun time, so my role as elitist curmudgeon continues. This is one movie where everyone's expectations will be met. Ours certainly were. And my wife is appreciative, so winners all around.

  5. #5825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Greater love hath no husband than this, that he taketh his wife to Mamma Mia 2. It was well-produced, achieving superbly what I'd guess were its prime objectives, and most of the audience burst into enthusiastic applause at the end.

    But man, I dislike ABBA, and have since they debuted while I was still a student. Combining the worst of Disco, Bubble Gum Rock, and Euro Pop, they were unappealing then, as they remain for me. But my wife and friends were happy, and everyone in the movie seemed to be having a fun time, so my role as elitist curmudgeon continues. This is one movie where everyone's expectations will be met. Ours certainly were. And my wife is appreciative, so winners all around.
    ABBA's music represented a sort of therapy for my Mom during a few years of pretty depressing family life. So I'm very familiar with their entire discography. I actually appreciate a lot of their music. Intellectual it ain't, but they knew how to put together some catchy tunes. And I had a thing for Agnetha...

    Alas, their music didn't survive my transition from CD to digital. I have a few stalwarts on a playlist somewhere, but it doesn't play daily like it used to when I was a kid. And no, I didn't see Mamma Mia and I most certainly won't see the second!

  6. #5826
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    11,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    ABBA's music represented a sort of therapy for my Mom during a few years of pretty depressing family life. So I'm very familiar with their entire discography. I actually appreciate a lot of their music. Intellectual it ain't, but they knew how to put together some catchy tunes. And I had a thing for Agnetha...

    Alas, their music didn't survive my transition from CD to digital. I have a few stalwarts on a playlist somewhere, but it doesn't play daily like it used to when I was a kid. And no, I didn't see Mamma Mia and I most certainly won't see the second!
    I get the nostalgic appeal, certainly. I've accepted the theory that a person's musical biases are formed within a one-year radius of the person's 15th birthday. By the time ABBA came along I was committed to the Beatles, Stones, Hendrix and Motown. When ABBA appeared ten years later they didn't have a chance, despite their begging me for one.

  7. #5827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I get the nostalgic appeal, certainly. I've accepted the theory that a person's musical biases are formed within a one-year radius of the person's 15th birthday. By the time ABBA came along I was committed to the Beatles, Stones, Hendrix and Motown. When ABBA appeared ten years later they didn't have a chance, despite their begging me for one.
    I believe your theory. The music surrounding that time period in my life survived my play lists much better than ABBA, which I was listening to from ~8-12 years old. Depeche Mode, Erasure, Pet Shop Boys, sprinkled with a little glam metal were my jam.

  8. #5828
    Major disappointment The_Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I get the nostalgic appeal, certainly. I've accepted the theory that a person's musical biases are formed within a one-year radius of the person's 15th birthday. By the time ABBA came along I was committed to the Beatles, Stones, Hendrix and Motown. When ABBA appeared ten years later they didn't have a chance, despite their begging me for one.
    This is the first time that I've ever heard of this...but it is solid, and I agree with it.

  9. #5829
    Royal Rooter Green Monstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Up from third base to Huntington
    Posts
    9,794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Greater love hath no husband than this, that he taketh his wife to Mamma Mia 2. It was well-produced, achieving superbly what I'd guess were its prime objectives, and most of the audience burst into enthusiastic applause at the end.

    But man, I dislike ABBA, and have since they debuted while I was still a student. Combining the worst of Disco, Bubble Gum Rock, and Euro Pop, they were unappealing then, as they remain for me. But my wife and friends were happy, and everyone in the movie seemed to be having a fun time, so my role as elitist curmudgeon continues. This is one movie where everyone's expectations will be met. Ours certainly were. And my wife is appreciative, so winners all around.
    I'm too young to recall ABBA in their heyday, but did the dudes in the band at least play some musical instruments, because other than some occassional backup vocals (which are solid in Super Trouper and Take a Chance, I might add), I'm not sure what their purpose is/was.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

  10. #5830
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    9,581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    I'm too young to recall ABBA in their heyday, but did the dudes in the band at least play some musical instruments, because other than some occassional backup vocals (which are solid in Super Trouper and Take a Chance, I might add), I'm not sure what their purpose is/was.
    I think the guys wrote most of the songs.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  11. #5831
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    21,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    I'm too young to recall ABBA in their heyday, but did the dudes in the band at least play some musical instruments, because other than some occassional backup vocals (which are solid in Super Trouper and Take a Chance, I might add), I'm not sure what their purpose is/was.
    They wrote all the music and one guy played all the piano and keys and the other guy played guitar. They also came up with some of the production techniques that gave the distinctive ABBA sound (I learned about this at the ABBA museum in Stockholm last year). In truth, they were the heart of what was ABBA, literally (Bjorn and Benny) as well as figuratively.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  12. #5832
    Explosivo Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    15,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    They wrote all the music and one guy played all the piano and keys and the other guy played guitar. They also came up with some of the production techniques that gave the distinctive ABBA sound (I learned about this at the ABBA museum in Stockholm last year). In truth, they were the heart of what was ABBA, literally (Bjorn and Benny) as well as figuratively.
    Bjorn! Benny! Speak to me!

    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

  13. #5833
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    11,823

    Default

    Rather than fight the crowd on MI:6ís opening weekend, we opted instead for Eighth Grade, the most authentic, and at times painfully awkward, movie about adolescence I think Iíve ever seen. Elsie Fisher, playing an eighth grader during the last week of junior high, hands in a truly remarkable performance, as does Josh Hamilton as her caring but often helpless father. Their final scene together is a conversation so simple, and yet so true and powerful, that any father in the audience who has had to deal with an awkward, gawky teen canít help but be deeply moved. This will have limited appeal, but it may be one of the best movies of the year.


  14. #5834
    Explosivo Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    15,058

    Default

    We also did not want to fight the crowds and saw Teen Titans Go! Probably the funniest cartoon I've seen of recent memory, beating out Lego Batman. If you've never seen the cartoon show, it's pretty hilarious with mainly absurdist humor with pop references. Sort of a good parody of the super hero genre.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

  15. #5835
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Rather than fight the crowd on MI:6’s opening weekend, we opted instead for Eighth Grade, the most authentic, and at times painfully awkward, movie about adolescence I think I’ve ever seen. Elsie Fisher, playing an eighth grader during the last week of junior high, hands in a truly remarkable performance, as does Josh Hamilton as her caring but often helpless father. Their final scene together is a conversation so simple, and yet so true and powerful, that any father in the audience who has had to deal with an awkward, gawky teen can’t help but be deeply moved. This will have limited appeal, but it may be one of the best movies of the year.

    Very interested in this movie. How appropriate would it be for an awkward middle schooler to see on a daddy daughter date?
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  16. #5836
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    11,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    Very interested in this movie. How appropriate would it be for an awkward middle schooler to see on a daddy daughter date?
    Frankly, I probably wouldn't take her. The R-rating (maybe 3-4 eff bombs) wouldn't have been enough to deter me from taking a kid, but there were a couple of cringeworthy scenes, including one where she looks up online instructions for how to perform a blow job, apparently not knowing just what that meant. She eventually recoils in shock, but it was a little uncomfortable watching with the missus, and would have been more so, I suspect, with a daughter.

    This isn't as funny or as lighthearted as Sixteen Candles, but it's more authentic and, perhaps, painful (though ultimately satisfying).

    One scene I'd gladly pay to see again:
    Spoiler for Not a big deal, put should probably not read if you're going to see the movie)::


    After a humiliating experience with an older kid (which turns out not be be as horrible as the audience is set up to anticipate--many in the theater groaned audibly in fear of what was about to happen), at home Kayla opens up to her dad, observing how if she were his age and had a daughter like her, she'd be pretty disappointed having such a loser for a kid. He reacts as any dad would, but even I was wondering at first if his reaction was a little insincere, since she was at times pretty annoying. But he explains how, after the wife/mom left when Kayla was only a baby, he felt so lost and worried about how he would be able to raise Kayla. And then over the ensuing years he was genuinely amazed at how strong and resilient she had become, and watching her grow made him happy and thankful beyond words, etc. The scene ends in an embrace even I wanted in on.

  17. #5837
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Frankly, I probably wouldn't take her. The R-rating (maybe 3-4 eff bombs) wouldn't have been enough to deter me from taking a kid, but there were a couple of cringeworthy scenes, including one where she looks up online instructions for how to perform a blow job, apparently not knowing just what that meant. She eventually recoils in shock, but it was a little uncomfortable watching with the missus, and would have been more so, I suspect, with a daughter.

    This isn't as funny or as lighthearted as Sixteen Candles, but it's more authentic and, perhaps, painful (though ultimately satisfying).

    One scene I'd gladly pay to see again:
    Spoiler for Not a big deal, put should probably not read if you're going to see the movie)::


    After a humiliating experience with an older kid (which turns out not be be as horrible as the audience is set up to anticipate--many in the theater groaned audibly in fear of what was about to happen), at home Kayla opens up to her dad, observing how if she were his age and had a daughter like her, she'd be pretty disappointed having such a loser for a kid. He reacts as any dad would, but even I was wondering at first if his reaction was a little insincere, since she was at times pretty annoying. But he explains how, after the wife/mom left when Kayla was only a baby, he felt so lost and worried about how he would be able to raise Kayla. And then over the ensuing years he was genuinely amazed at how strong and resilient she had become, and watching her grow made him happy and thankful beyond words, etc. The scene ends in an embrace even I wanted in on.
    Yeah. I read about that and the backseat scene. Maybe we'll go see Christopher Robin instead lol.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  18. #5838

    Default The "last movie I saw" thread

    Last week I found myself a bachelor and really wanting to see a movie. Only the two movies I really wanted to see were only playing across town, and I couldnít bring myself to make the trek. So I settled for The First Purge. Meh. I actually think I would have really enjoyed it, but the political propaganda was way too heavy and way too on the nose.

    I havenít seen any of the other movies in the franchise, so perhaps they are all just as politically vocal. Iím actually tempted to rent them and find out.

    Trump conspiracists like frank ryan and Blue K would love this movie, btw.

    Also, Iím including an image of the movie poster so that god-awful diseased heart image Commando posted will stop popping up on Tapatalk.

    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark ďegg on your faceĒ! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  19. #5839
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Greater love hath no husband than this, that he taketh his wife to Mamma Mia 2. It was well-produced, achieving superbly what I'd guess were its prime objectives, and most of the audience burst into enthusiastic applause at the end.

    But man, I dislike ABBA, and have since they debuted while I was still a student. Combining the worst of Disco, Bubble Gum Rock, and Euro Pop, they were unappealing then, as they remain for me. But my wife and friends were happy, and everyone in the movie seemed to be having a fun time, so my role as elitist curmudgeon continues. This is one movie where everyone's expectations will be met. Ours certainly were. And my wife is appreciative, so winners all around.
    We were split on which to see MM2 or Equalizer2. Unfortunately, the tiebreaker was Rotten Tomatoes, which I knew would likely cause me to lose. My wife had a great time and I tagged along. She enjoyed herself which is always great to see. I am so blissfully ignorant of ABBA that I didn't even know which of the songs were added to the Recycled version (were they all in the original?). And no, we still don't know who the genetic father is.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  20. #5840

    Default

    Won't you be my Neighbor: the expected outpouring of tears did not happen, but there was some misting over. I grew up with Mr. Roger's Neighborhood. I really didn't know much about him or the history of the show. I find a lot of documentaries to be uneven, and I thought this was also. But I'm glad I went. Mrs. NWC grew up with "Mr. Dress Up", Canada's counterpart to MRN, and really never watched it. But she still really liked the movie. B.

    Ant Man and the Wasp. As in the first movie, Michael Pena saved the movie. I wasn't mad at all that they did the exact same voice-over shtick. Good light-hearted fun. Didn't need to see it in the theater, but I wasn't disappointed either. B.

    Incredibles 2. Really enjoyed it. It did not at all feel like a 'reach' of a sequel. It was a solid story and exists well on its own. Not as good of a Pixar sequel as Toy Story 2, but much better than Finding Dory. We shall not mention Cars 2. Solid B+.

  21. #5841
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    46,948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Greater love hath no husband than this, that he taketh his wife to Mamma Mia 2. It was well-produced, achieving superbly what I'd guess were its prime objectives, and most of the audience burst into enthusiastic applause at the end.

    But man, I dislike ABBA, and have since they debuted while I was still a student. Combining the worst of Disco, Bubble Gum Rock, and Euro Pop, they were unappealing then, as they remain for me. But my wife and friends were happy, and everyone in the movie seemed to be having a fun time, so my role as elitist curmudgeon continues. This is one movie where everyone's expectations will be met. Ours certainly were. And my wife is appreciative, so winners all around.
    Right there with you, brother. I can't stand ABBA. I hated them as a teenager. I have tried to learn to like their music, but I just can't.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  22. #5842
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post

    Ant Man and the Wasp. As in the first movie, Michael Pena saved the movie. I wasn't mad at all that they did the exact same voice-over shtick. Good light-hearted fun. Didn't need to see it in the theater, but I wasn't disappointed either. B.
    I went on MoviePass which, as long as you ignore surge pricing, lets you see lots of movies you wouldn't otherwise want to pay for, guilt free. It also ties into the Infinity Wars saga. Did you stay for the second outtake?
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  23. #5843

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    I went on MoviePass which, as long as you ignore surge pricing, lets you see lots of movies you wouldn't otherwise want to pay for, guilt free. It also ties into the Infinity Wars saga. Did you stay for the second outtake?
    I did . My daughter loves Marvel movies, so we're required to stay until the very end. The second very end, in this case.

  24. #5844
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    I did . My daughter loves Marvel movies, so we're required to stay until the very end. The second very end, in this case.
    At the end of these films, I have started googling to see if and how many extra inserted trailers there are. One time, I waited and there was nothing. I hate the credits as it is and that was really a waste of time.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  25. #5845
    вот так штука CardiacCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The SLC
    Posts
    10,155

    Default

    Teen Titans was easily better than 90% of superhero movies ó glad I took the kids.

  26. #5846
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    20,630

    Default

    MI6 is getting great reviews. Iím going next weekend.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, ďspectator discipleshipĒ is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  27. #5847
    Huge Member BigPiney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    5,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    MI6 is getting great reviews. Iím going next weekend.
    I'm pretty sure I saw the first one. I'm good.

  28. #5848
    Members Only Dwight Schr-ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    4,710

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post

    Also, Iím including an image of the movie poster so that god-awful diseased heart image Commando posted will stop popping up on Tapatalk.

    An improvement. But not by much.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

  29. #5849
    Explosivo Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    15,058

    Default



    Sorry, guys. I don't know how my img posts affect your tapatalk lifestyle. In any case, please accept my most sincere apologies:

    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

  30. #5850

    Default

    Mission Impossible: Fallout: Loved it. One of the best in the series. Might be the last one where Cruise can fool everyone thinking he isn't in his mid 50's. If it is, he fooled me. A-minus.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •