The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
    Is there a listing of the animals that are okay to keep in captivity? I'm just wondering because every time I see a dog in a house it breaks my heart.
    Honestly, I don't have a moral dilemma on captivating animals. I think that most of the time, the benefits of zoos (the Logan Zoo as an exception) and aquariums, for educational exposure to the public outweighs the cost to the captive individual. Having said that, I see little educational benefit in with holding food from an animal because they won't jump through a hoop. I don't see any educational benefit of making these creatures perform for our entertainment. Their massive size and evolved social behavior only exacerbate the captivity of orcas.

This educational opportunity gets a bit gray once you get into groups of animals that fall under threatened and endangered protections. Are the captive breeding programs a positive when these offspring won't ever be released into their natural environments?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• I dont understand why they cant have open water marine parks. They keep the door open, or open it twice a day or something. If the animal wants to stay and perform because it gets fish regularly, then it will stay. If it wants to leave, it can. Only then will I believe Sea World's protestations that the orcas love their trainers and want to stay with them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
        I dont understand why they cant have open water marine parks. They keep the door open, or open it twice a day or something. If the animal wants to stay and perform because it gets fish regularly, then it will stay. If it wants to leave, it can. Only then will I believe Sea World's protestations that the orcas love their trainers and want to stay with them.
        Shamu: "I love my trainers. They are delicious!"
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
          Blackfish. I hate Sea World!
          Is that the documentary/expose about how they catch the killer whales and trainer's deaths? I watched about 45 minutes of it in a hotel room and had to jet for a meeting.

We have season passes to SeaWorld San Antonio, and it definitely made me think twice about continuing that relationship.
          Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
            Is that the documentary/expose about how they catch the killer whales and trainer's deaths? I watched about 45 minutes of it in a hotel room and had to jet for a meeting.

We have season passes to SeaWorld San Antonio, and it definitely made me think twice about continuing that relationship.
            That is the one.
            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
            -Turtle
            sigpic

Comment

I dont understand why they cant have open water marine parks. They keep the door open, or open it twice a day or something. If the animal wants to stay and perform because it gets fish regularly, then it will stay. If it wants to leave, it can. Only then will I believe Sea World's protestations that the orcas love their trainers and want to stay with them.
              Sea World San Antonio has some serious reservations about that approach.
              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                That is the one.
                How did you obtain the documentary? Netflix?

Comment

• Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
                  How did you obtain the documentary? Netflix?
                  Yes, Blackfish streams on Netflix.

Comment

• I think it streams on CNN as well.

Comment

• Watched Blackfish over Christmas and my wife and sister were swearing they'd never go to Seaworld again. I never wanted to go to Seaworld to begin with.

There are some cool spots out in the islands to see whales. The Orcas are out near the San Juans for most of the summer, and then on the back end of the summer they start working their down the Sound chasing salmon. Over at Langley on Whidbey Island they have a bell that rings in town when the Orcas are surfacing to feed and you can go out to the shores and watch.
                      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Soup and I saw Nebraska today. Will Forte was great as was Saul. Very funny, entertaining, and a little touching. Highly recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Lone survivor. Very well done and definitely accurate to the book.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
                          *Banned*

Comment

• Also watched Blackfish yesterday. I had never heard of it. Really enlightening and sad. I don't expect to be going to Sea World any time soon.
                            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                            - SeattleUte

Comment

That would be tough in San Antonio
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                                Sea World San Antonio has some serious reservations about that approach.

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                                That would be tough in San Antonio
                                "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Working...
                                X