No announcement yet.

The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I saw Saving Mr. Banks last weekend with the wife. I loved Mary Poppins when I was a kid (my first hollywood crush was dark-haired, bewigged Julie Andrews; I was very disappointed to learn that Maria in Sound of Music was the same person), so I thought the backstory was interesting. The last scene was particularly moving, but after doing some research on Mrs. Traverse's real opinions of Mary Poppins the film, I came away feeling that Mr. Banks was not saved at all.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
      I saw Saving Mr. Banks last weekend with the wife. I loved Mary Poppins when I was a kid (my first hollywood crush was dark-haired, bewigged Julie Andrews; I was very disappointed to learn that Maria in Sound of Music was the same person), so I thought the backstory was interesting. The last scene was particularly moving, but after doing some research on Mrs. Traverse's real opinions of Mary Poppins the film, I came away feeling that Mr. Banks was not saved at all.
      I think I understand why the critics like this film and it has to do with the narcissism of the film industry. Any film that is an homage to the film industry (The Artist/Hugo) or celebrates the power of film-making & story-telling as an act of redemption (Hugo/Saving Mr. Banks) gets rave reviews and oscars. Blech...

Yeah, the irony with Mr. Banks is that the film whitewashes Mrs. Traverse's story every bit as much or more than Mary Poppins whitewashes the story of her father. I guess that is fitting.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Any film that is an homage to the film industry (The Artist/Hugo) or celebrates the power of film-making & story-telling as an act of redemption (Hugo/Saving Mr. Banks) gets rave reviews and oscars.
        I've long thought that as well. It also explains why film critics rave about Cinema Paradiso, which is just a snooze fest. It also explains why Atonement was beloved by the critics, when that atonement was severely limited and really, only saved the narrator's perception of herself. Whereas the critics scoff at the real Atonement, infinite and eternal.

Comment

• The sentiment Jeff and Katy are referring to isn't just a thought. Critics acknowledge it.
          So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
            I didn't think it was funny either. It didn't outrage me or anything, I just didn't think it was that funny.
            I agree completely. Not outrageous to me in the least, but a pretty predictable, throwaway bit.
            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• We really liked Walter Mitty and Frozen. We've taken the kids to Frozen twice, actually.
              Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                I agree completely. Not outrageous to me in the least, but a pretty predictable, throwaway bit.
                I laughed during the movie, but felt bad about it every time I did.
                Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Douger View Post
                  We really liked Walter Mitty and Frozen. We've taken the kids to Frozen twice, actually.
                  So have we..

Fun Factoid: The actor that plays the "Snowman: Olaf". Played in the broadway muscial "Book Of Mormon" (Elder Arnold Cunningham). Josh Gad

Some interesting casts overall really.. Kristen Bell as Anna. Had no idea she was such a great singer..

Comment

• Blackfish. I hate Sea World!
                    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                    -Turtle
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                      Blackfish. I hate Sea World!
                      That looks pretty good. I have a huge fascination with sea life so this is intriguing..

I am guessing by your response it does not put Sea World in a good light.

Comment

• Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
                        That looks pretty good. I have a huge fascination with sea life so this is intriguing..

I am guessing by your response it does not put Sea World in a good light.
                        Sea World is definitely scum, but it was way more interesting than just Sea World's spin on the deaths. The whole backstory is interesting and terribly sad. And I am not an animal guy at all.
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

Comment

Sea World is definitely scum, but it was way more interesting than just Sea World's spin on the deaths. The whole backstory is interesting and terribly sad. And I am not an animal guy at all.
                          I am curious to know more of your opinion on Sea World. I love that place. Mainly because it allows me to view sea life.. I love the ocean and all things in it.. As a kid, I really wanted to be a marine biologist.. Sadly, I never pursued that dream..

Comment

• Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
                            I am curious to know more of your opinion on Sea World. I love that place. Mainly because it allows me to view sea life.. I love the ocean and all things in it.. As a kid, I really wanted to be a marine biologist.. Sadly, I never pursued that dream..
                            I have been to Sea World in San Diego exactly twice in my life. I don't even remember much about either visit as they were 17+ years ago. The only thing I really recall is that one of the visits was shortly after they opened the Shark Encounter exhibit which was the long glass tunnel through the shark tank. I just remember waiting in line forever only to be severely underwhelmed.

It seems like every boy wants to be a paleontologist and every girl wants to be a marine biologist growing up. I love the ocean too and am always amazed by it. I think it's important for people to get exposed to the wonderment of the sea but I am not sure places like Sea World are the best place for that because they seem to be more entertainment driven. I am not too passionate about it though to be honest. But for my money, I'd rather visit the National Aquarium in Baltimore or Monterrey Bay Aquarium over Sea World.
                            -Turtle
                            sigpic

Comment

I have been to Sea World in San Diego exactly twice in my life. I don't even remember much about either visit as they were 17+ years ago. The only thing I really recall is that one of the visits was shortly after they opened the Shark Encounter exhibit which was the long glass tunnel through the shark tank. I just remember waiting in line forever only to be severely underwhelmed.

It seems like every boy wants to be a paleontologist and every girl wants to be a marine biologist growing up. I love the ocean too and am always amazed by it. I think it's important for people to get exposed to the wonderment of the sea but I am not sure places like Sea World are the best place for that because they seem to be more entertainment driven. I am not too passionate about it though to be honest. But for my money, I'd rather visit the National Aquarium in Baltimore or Monterrey Bay Aquarium over Sea World.
                              As a SoCal native, do you remember Marineland, Surfah? I think they shut it down in the late 80s, but I recall some pretty awesome school field trips over there. We did Sea World passes a couple years back -- the kids loved it. They've definitely tried to make it more of an amusement park lately; adding roller coasters like Manta and Atlantis. The kids naturally want to spend the day riding those attractions instead of learning about sea life, but we made them check out everything. This past Christmas break we bought season passes to the Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific. There are some very cool things to see there -- definitely worth checking out if you guys are ever in the area with the family.

Comment

• Originally posted by HBCoug View Post
                                As a SoCal native, do you remember Marineland, Surfah? I think they shut it down in the late 80s, but I recall some pretty awesome school field trips over there. We did Sea World passes a couple years back -- the kids loved it. They've definitely tried to make it more of an amusement park lately; adding roller coasters like Manta and Atlantis. The kids naturally want to spend the day riding those attractions instead of learning about sea life, but we made them check out everything. This past Christmas break we bought season passes to the Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific. There are some very cool things to see there -- definitely worth checking out if you guys are ever in the area with the family.
                                I never went to Marineland but my dad has pictures as a missionary visiting the place. He spent a good chunk of his mission in Palos Verdes.
                                -Turtle
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X