The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The_Douger View Post
    We watched "The Way Way Back" on Netflix a couple nights ago.

I like these kinds of shows, it's the same director who did "The Descendants", which I know some of you liked.

It's typical coming of age stuff, but the relationship that's forged between him and his boss at the water park where he ends up working is genuine.
    I love Sam Rockwell. He makes about any movie he's in. I remember first seeing him in the Green Mile, wherein he was also awesome.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by woot View Post
      Philomena - wasn't expecting much (other than being a fan of Steve Coogan), but it ended up being pretty good. Judi Dench is good in it, obvs, and the too-convenient plot points were pretty easy to overlook.
      We saw it over the weekend as well and enjoyed it. I hadn't been a Coogan fan, as I saw him more like the cartoonish dolt in The Other Guys, but he was very good in this one, and I'm going to start watching The Trip as I see he's very good. The movie avoided becoming cheaply sentimental but was still moving. Among other things, I liked a climactic point near the end when Coogan's character is frustrated Philomena isn't angered by the terrible things the nuns had done to her, and she chides him for holding onto his anger (he's got issues of his own), "it must be exhausting."

Comment

• We took the kids to Frozen. I'm really glad Disney makes these types of shows that you can see as a family and it's easy for small children to watch.

It was a fun story and we really liked it.
        Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Douger View Post
          We took the kids to Frozen. I'm really glad Disney makes these types of shows that you can see as a family and it's easy for small children to watch.

It was a fun story and we really liked it.
          We also took the kids to Frozen. It was good, and my 4-year-old daughter repeatedly sang "do you want to build a snowman" to my 5-year-old daughter the next day.
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by woot View Post
            Life of Pi. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. I even liked the god angle. Well done.
            Finally watched this one. I, too, enjoyed the movie.
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Watched Dallas Buyers Club. It wasn't terrible, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you are really into inspirational "based on a true story" films that have nothing to do with reality and ends with the main character getting an unexpected standing ovation as he walks into a crowded room. If you like those types of movies, than Dallas Buyers Club is a well acted (except for Jennifer Garner) version of that.

Comment

• Not a movie, but a very funny spoof.

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• I think we will go see "American Hustle" tomorrow and support our fellow Mormon Amy Adams. All the reviews look very positive.

I guess we won't be seeing it, it's only coming out in limited release and Idaho Falls is not on that list.
                  Last edited by RC Vikings; 12-13-2013, 11:13 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                    I think we will go see "American Hustle" tomorrow and support our fellow Mormon Amy Adams. All the reviews look very positive.

I guess we won't be seeing it, it's only coming out in limited release and Idaho Falls is not on that list.
                    Looks to be a major player in awards season. O'Russell could have his third straight best picture nom.
                    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Seen a number of films lately:

Frozen: great film and a breath of fresh air after so many poorly done animated films. I generally tire of these things after 30 minutes but I thoroughly enjoyed this one to the end. The song the older sister sang when she builds her ice castle was fabulous....but I'm a feminist so that might be why I liked it.

No Strings Attached: Lame movie, boring plot and poorly executed production, but Natalie Portman is hot...which is why I watched it.

Django Unchained: I saw this one once before but I was tired and slept through some of it. Glad I watched it again. This was my first Tarantino movie and I loved the dialogue and especially the way the lines were delivered. Great story and very well done except it seemed about 20 minutes too long. I also thought the splattering blood was a bit over the top. I mean, do fountains of blood really squirt out of people when they are shot in the head?

Pulp Fiction: After Django I figured I'd watch another Tarantino. I fell asleep twice in this one. I may need to watch it again when I'm not so tired, but I doubt I will.

Man of Steel: I got bored after the first 30 minutes and went to bed. MJ finished watching it but said it sucked. I guess there's also a scene in it where Superman has his shirt off, which seemed to be the highlight.

Premium Rush: Might be the movie I've seen with the most plot holes, which is saying something since I've seen Return to Oz. The action footage was fun but overall the movie sucked. JGL is cool though so I made it through the whole movie without turning it off or falling asleep.

The Amazing Spiderman: Got bored after 20 minutes so I went and played Candy Crush in my room before falling asleep 10 minutes later. MJ finished watching it and said it sucked. I think I'm done with superhero movies for a while as they can't hold my attention anymore.
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Down and Derby - a cutesy story of ultra-competitive dads building pinewood derby cars while excluding their scout sons from the process. Pretty boring and predictable.

Frozen - Enjoyed it. I especially liked the "Fixer-upper" number.

Girl with the Pearl Earring - I'd seen it before, but it was on TV again. It was pretty slow, and I'm not sure now about my prior assumption of Scarlet getting busy with the artist.
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                          Django Unchained: I saw this one once before but I was tired and slept through some of it. Glad I watched it again. This was my first Tarantino movie and I loved the dialogue and especially the way the lines were delivered. Great story and very well done except it seemed about 20 minutes too long. I also thought the splattering blood was a bit over the top. I mean, do fountains of blood really squirt out of people when they are shot in the head?

Pulp Fiction: After Django I figured I'd watch another Tarantino. I fell asleep twice in this one. I may need to watch it again when I'm not so tired, but I doubt I will.
                          Falling asleep in Tarantino films? What's the matter with you?

The dialogue is always the best part in his movies. Some great stuff in Pulp Fiction also. I re-watched it recently.

Also, the highly-stylized violence is part of his trademark. It is meant to be cartoon-like.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

The dialogue is always the best part in his movies. Some great stuff in Pulp Fiction also. I re-watched it recently.

Also, the highly-stylized violence is part of his trademark. It is meant to be cartoon-like.
                            I fell asleep the first time I watched The Matrix. In fairness to the movie, I didn't srart watching until after 1 am.
                            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

I constantly fall asleep in movies, it's kind of my curse in life. If the movie starts to drag at all then I'll doze off. It obviously doesn't say anything about the quality of the movie (obviously Pulp Fiction is tried and true with the critics and fans), but it's simply a factor of me watching the movies after the kids are in bed and me waking up at 5am to run. I also slept through (in the theater) parts of King Kong, the Hobbit, Bourne Legacy, and Dark Knight Rises.....all of which have some real slow parts.

I really need to watch Pulp Fiction again. I remember Travolta getting shot and then the next thing I know (after a slight doze) he's walking around again with SLJ and I was trying to figure out what happened only to realize the story isn't told in chronological order
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                                I constantly fall asleep in movies, it's kind of my curse in life. If the movie starts to drag at all then I'll doze off. It obviously doesn't say anything about the quality of the movie (obviously Pulp Fiction is tried and true with the critics and fans), but it's simply a factor of me watching the movies after the kids are in bed and me waking up at 5am to run. I also slept through (in the theater) parts of King Kong, the Hobbit, Bourne Legacy, and Dark Knight Rises.....all of which have some real slow parts.

I really need to watch Pulp Fiction again. I remember Travolta getting shot and then the next thing I know (after a slight doze) he's walking around again with SLJ and I was trying to figure out what happened only to realize the story isn't told in chronological order
                                Thanks for the spoiler alert.
                                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                                X