The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pheidippides View Post
    Saw Frozen with the family tonight. Very well done, but I died when not one but two Arrested Development references (one visual, one in the script) came during a certain song number. I haven't laughed that hard in ages. Literally fell out of my seat laughing.
    Literally? In a kids movie? On Thanksgiving weekend? Gross.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
      Literally? In a kids movie? On Thanksgiving weekend? Gross.

Yes, literally. The floor was sticky.
      Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        This is the thread!

1. One satellite gets blown up and the debris takes out all of the other satellites in a matter of minutes? LOL.
        2. The debris is moving so fast that it cover the entire horizon in time to wipe out all satellites but when it gets to the shuttle it is going so slow you can see it coming and you can see it cruise by?
        3. All of those space stations just happened to be parked so close that you can see one from the other with the naked eye?

I could go on and on. But I understand why they did it that way. Too much realism would have negated the plot.
        A "medical engineer" is working on the Hubble. LOL.
        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
          Nebraska
          It won’t appeal to a mass market, but I liked it a lot. Among Alexander Payne’s movies (including Election, Sideways, About Schmidt, The Descendants, etc.), this is probably closes to About Schmidt, but it’s unique, and not just because it’s in B&W. Bruce Dern’s character is convinced he’s won a million bucks because of a Publishers Clearinghouse-type form letter. His son (Will Forte) is compelled to drive him from Montana to Nebraska to claim his nonexistent prize, stopping along the way to visit relatives who are somehow boring and fascinating at the same time, and occasionally hilarious. As has been noted by dozens of critics, Dern’s performance is great, and the rest of the cast, especially Forte, is very strong as well. Dern’s character is named Woody Grant, an obviously intentional reversal of Grant Wood, the painter of American Gothic. And this film is, in many ways, a cinematic presentation of that iconic painting. In the film, you’ll see elements of derision, respect, banality, depth, heartland values, etc. A lot of laughs, but overall it’s serious stuff. Our small group has been discussing the thing at length, which most movies we see don’t impel us to do. Highly recommended for Payne admirers, but not for everyone.
          What a great movie review.

Comment

• Frozen

A good kids movie with a few laughs for me. For some reason, I tend to go to the movies a lot more during the holidays. I thought Frozen was a good holiday flick.
            "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

• Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
              Frozen

A good kids movie with a few laughs for me. For some reason, I tend to go to the movies a lot more during the holidays. I thought Frozen was a good holiday flick.
              I liked it too. Olaf the gay snowman is my new favorite Disney character.

Comment

• Got away from all of the family drama last night and took the wife to a movie while grandma watched the kids. Hunger Games 2. A nice distraction.

The soundtracks may be the best thing to come from this franchise.

Comment

Got away from all of the family drama last night and took the wife to a movie while grandma watched the kids. Hunger Games 2. A nice distraction.

The soundtracks may be the best thing to come from this franchise.

We saw it on Thanksgiving evening. Thumbs up.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                    Nebraska
                    It won’t appeal to a mass market, but I liked it a lot. Among Alexander Payne’s movies (including Election, Sideways, About Schmidt, The Descendants, etc.), this is probably closes to About Schmidt, but it’s unique, and not just because it’s in B&W. Bruce Dern’s character is convinced he’s won a million bucks because of a Publishers Clearinghouse-type form letter. His son (Will Forte) is compelled to drive him from Montana to Nebraska to claim his nonexistent prize, stopping along the way to visit relatives who are somehow boring and fascinating at the same time, and occasionally hilarious. As has been noted by dozens of critics, Dern’s performance is great, and the rest of the cast, especially Forte, is very strong as well. Dern’s character is named Woody Grant, an obviously intentional reversal of Grant Wood, the painter of American Gothic. And this film is, in many ways, a cinematic presentation of that iconic painting. In the film, you’ll see elements of derision, respect, banality, depth, heartland values, etc. A lot of laughs, but overall it’s serious stuff. Our small group has been discussing the thing at length, which most movies we see don’t impel us to do. Highly recommended for Payne admirers, but not for everyone.
                    I like Payne a lot, and this was pretty good. I usually find Will Forte obnoxious, and I didn't love him in this role, but overall I think the movie worked. Having grown up in a small town like Hawthorn, I can say that the film got a lot of things right (unlike some other portrayals of small towns).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Comment

• Only God Forgives - liked it more than critics did. Wasn't great, but odd enough to keep me intrigued.

Funny Games - not sure I understood all the commentary in this one. Key details are left out on purpose, but I could never reconcile why.

Escape from Tomorrow - there was some discussion about this one around the time of Sundance, but this is the movie that was filmed guerilla style at Disneyworld and Disneyland. Not a lot there as a "movie," but as a conceptual experience I thought it was pretty fun.
                      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Philomena - wasn't expecting much (other than being a fan of Steve Coogan), but it ended up being pretty good. Judi Dench is good in it, obvs, and the too-convenient plot points were pretty easy to overlook.

Comment

• We watched "The Way Way Back" on Netflix a couple nights ago.

I like these kinds of shows, it's the same director who did "The Descendants", which I know some of you liked.

It's typical coming of age stuff, but the relationship that's forged between him and his boss at the water park where he ends up working is genuine.
                          Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Douger View Post
                            We watched "The Way Way Back" on Netflix a couple nights ago.

I like these kinds of shows, it's the same director who did "The Descendants", which I know some of you liked.

It's typical coming of age stuff, but the relationship that's forged between him and his boss at the water park where he ends up working is genuine.
                            Didn't know it was on Netflix. Good to know.

Comment

Didn't know it was on Netflix. Good to know.

We got it in the mail, fwiw.

I am not sure if it's streaming or not.
                              Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Douger View Post
                                We watched "The Way Way Back" on Netflix a couple nights ago.

Some of the same writers, not director.
                                So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X